B3L13v3R

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

In my short time here, I have found those that are new and asking pointed questions often get shrugged off by some saying something along the lines of:

"We covered that one so many times, why beat a dead horse?" :37:

If it is a newer Worthy member, and the "dead horse" syndrome is brought up, it really does not apply.

Because it is "new" to that "new" member. :cowboy:

If it is a topic with Worthy folk that have been here for a few years, and they all together bring up the same subject again and again, that would be different.

It would be a "dead horse." But many times, this is not the case.

At times, some of the new members do use the "search" feature of Worthy for a particular subject they are interested in.

The new member will go on to post from an older post, sometimes from years ago. After doing this, some seasoned members at times will go on to courteously reprimand the individual for doing so, either directly or indirectly. :huh:

New members often bring up things they are interested in. If it is a subject that has been here many times before, perhaps we should allow them to bring up the matter without the rebuke of the dead horse.

It is a dead horse to some, it is new to others.

None of the above would apply to new rabble-rousing trollers of course, after they were found out to be "trolls." :ph34r:

I have not used the search engine here for "dead horse." Please forgive me if this is one of them... :horse:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

In many ways you are right some topics get beat to death and those here who have dealt with the topics get shaded as they go through them yet one more time. And yes we should take each persons true concerns and deal with them individually, hard to do when a person wants to do nothing but debate for the sake of just making their voice known on the subject. There are many who come here with an agenda to argue over certain things. Most do try and take the time to talk with a new person on the subject, often times they are directed to the older posts to save a bit of time but over all many still do take the time to talk to the person. We are not perfect in the way we always handle things but I must say Worthy is one of the best boards out there, other boards theres no real discussion just constant debate and arguments.

shalom,

Mizz

• Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

This is true. Newbies may well be new Christians who need to cover this 'dead horse' material so that they may learn.

Some of the time I just do not post in a thread that has information I have become familiar with.

I may read there because I can still pick up a nugget, but don't post. Not all who are new here are also new to Christianity and may have wisdom to impart to me, so I read.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I try to encourage new users to use the search function, which could be more obvious on the site by calling it "search" instead of a gear icon. That way, not only will they become familiar with the site, but they will get far more information by doing the research then they would by the few posts they may get in reply to their question. If, after reading the posts found through search, they still have a question, then I answer.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,176
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Most dead horst topics generate very long threads that can last forever and usually there isn't going to be any consensus on the subject. I had not thought of it but it might help for some of older folks to do a quick search on the subjects and post the url for some of those really long threads.

Most of them get hot and closed, and I'm not sure that's good advertising for us as a whole, but it's something to think about.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

I sat here earlier and wrote up a comment--then promptly somehow deleted it. Still now sure how I managed that.

Without doing all of the site searching I did before since I just don't have the time to repeat it, let me just make an observation. It seems that what you are suggesting people do before they ask a question here may be a quite daunting task that requires a lot of time.

I looked up several key words for subjects that are often discussed on blogs. They were, as I remember them, "Calvinism", "predestination", "elect" and "election", "evolution", "theistic evolution", and "young earth". At least three of those terms had 1000 replies come up! The others were in the hundreds.

How many folks have time or are going to take time to sort through all of that and read what appears to be the most relevant threads? Not many I would think. There is a thread on Calvinism/Arminianism that I know has been active here off and on since I became a member here. If I remember correctly, it currently has 1,140 comments. That alone is a duanting undertaking to mow through.

Granted, if you have much more refined search parameters, it may not be quite so overwhelming. But frankly, to know that this is what is expected of us here by at least some of you makes it more then a bit intimadating to try to start any conversations here. At least unless it is on a subject that appears has not been discussed at all in the past!

Guest Butero

In my short time here, I have found those that are new and asking pointed questions often get shrugged off by some saying something along the lines of:

"We covered that one so many times, why beat a dead horse?" :37:

If it is a newer Worthy member, and the "dead horse" syndrome is brought up, it really does not apply.

Because it is "new" to that "new" member. :cowboy:

If it is a topic with Worthy folk that have been here for a few years, and they all together bring up the same subject again and again, that would be different.

It would be a "dead horse." But many times, this is not the case.

At times, some of the new members do use the "search" feature of Worthy for a particular subject they are interested in.

The new member will go on to post from an older post, sometimes from years ago. After doing this, some seasoned members at times will go on to courteously reprimand the individual for doing so, either directly or indirectly. :huh:

New members often bring up things they are interested in. If it is a subject that has been here many times before, perhaps we should allow them to bring up the matter without the rebuke of the dead horse.

It is a dead horse to some, it is new to others.

None of the above would apply to new rabble-rousing trollers of course, after they were found out to be "trolls." :ph34r:

I have not used the search engine here for "dead horse." Please forgive me if this is one of them... :horse:

That is a good point you are making. The reason why these arguments do come up so often is because the same controversies exist in churches all across the country and sometimes around the world. There are legitimate reasons why people don't see eye to eye on these topics. You are right, and I will try to take that into consideration. :thumbsup: