nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls. Proverbs 25:28

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls. Proverbs 25:28

I don't think he had a lack of self control at all. Why are parents so scared of showing their children that there are consequences for their actions? I probably would have made the daughter shoot the laptop!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Do we not expect our own Messiah to come with the full wrath of God at His return?

I would have done the same thing! I was more than a willful daughter and raise one just like me. I know what its like to stand on ones promises, as much as it grieves a parent to do something you know is going to hurt and cause yet more backlash as a parent you better stand on your word. If we do not teach our children to do so then how can they take Him at His Word? Actions produce consequences and words mean things.

Edited to add, this father showed a lot of control, it made for the most dramatic of lessons one she should not fail to learn. And frankly I know at least one father that would not have been so nice but lost control and beat the kid, which is what Proverbs lessons are trying to teach, its the condition of the heart/will.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It wasn't very mature of her father to act that way.

I'm going to kind of agree with this statement. I think there are much more tactful approaches to teach the daughter a lesson.

The second link I posted explains his thought process behind his actions. Please read it if you have not, then evaluate?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Explain how he lacked self-control.:thumbsup:

I believe the father has done well in disciplining the girl harshly; however his method was poor. He showed the same immaturity as the daughter in making his point ,which indicated a lack of good parenting skills, and could partly be the reason he has such a rebellious daughter. I think his method will work in subduing the girl temporarily but will set a precedent where she may think destroying property is a good way of making a point. He could simply have removed the computer and privately delivered his tongue lashing while making a strong commitment to retrain her. Shooting the computer was typical American side showing imo and soap opera stuff.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I believe the father has done well in disciplining the girl harshly; however his method was poor. He showed the same immaturity as the daughter in making his point ,which indicated a lack of good parenting skills, and could partly be the reason he has such a rebellious daughter. I think his method will work in subduing the girl temporarily but will set a precedent where she may think destroying property is a good way of making a point. He could simply have removed the computer and privately delivered his tongue lashing while making a strong commitment to retrain her. Shooting the computer was typical American side showing imo and soap opera stuff.

Shocking, no? :P

You obviously haven't dealt with the entitlment society that we have here and neither do you understand that anything less than Truth, smack between the eyes, will get to our over sensationalized youth.

Better a hole in that computer than a teen who's next cry for attention might have been a trip into a drug induced haze.:thumbsup:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

"American side" ?!!?

Well, I've told my son after he began to drive (we supplied his car/pay his insurance etc...) that if he ever messed up we would be having a Ford Explorer Bon Fire. I meant it, and he knows I meant it. If he gets caught drinking driving or anything else that is illegal he will be watching that vehicle burn.

My kids whole life they have known if I say there will be punishment for bad behavior, that it WILL happen. None of this no no don't do that, or hun why did you do that, please try better next time. Then continue on that endless route of teaching them they can do anything they want because your spineless. Then they grow into rotten adults. I know, I've seen them everyday of my life. I watch kids tell their parents what to do not the other way around...it makes me sick.

You go dad! Shoot that laptop...I would of done the same thing!!! I don't think the dad was immature, he was following through with what he said he was going to do, he was being true to his words. If anything it will maybe make him think before something so grandiose comes out of his mouth..LOL...I've said I would burn my kids car, now if he messes up I will have to do it....I don't lie. Although, my kids are good! I won't ever have to go there, know why? Because I have taught them from the time they could understand that I follow through....I love my babies...and they are so far growing into wonderful responsible people.

Shocking, no? :P

You obviously haven't dealt with the entitlment society that we have here and neither do you understand that anything less than Truth, smack between the eyes, will get to our over sensationalized youth.

Better a hole in that computer than a teen who's next cry for attention might have been a trip into a drug induced haze.:thumbsup:

No it isn't shocking. :) I was chuckling actually at another American side show. :P

I understand the the need for truth and I also understand the need for maturity and self control when dishing out discipline and punishment. I guess you don't get my point. Smack between the eyes is a great way to discipline and can be achieved in many ways by a good parent.

Putting a hole in the computer is fine but side showing and stooping to juvenile levels won't teach a kid to handle things maturely.

You do undstand maturity is important in parenting ?

Well, I've told my son after he began to drive (we supplied his car/pay his insurance etc...) that if he ever messed up we would be having a Ford Explorer Bon Fire. I meant it, and he knows I meant it. If he gets caught drinking driving or anything else that is illegal he will be watching that vehicle burn.

My kids whole life they have known if I say there will be punishment for bad behavior, that it WILL happen. None of this no no don't do that, or hun why did you do that, please try better next time. Then continue on that endless ro. ute of teaching them they can do anything they want because your spineless. Then they grow into rotten adults. I know, I've seen them everyday of my life. I watch kids tell their parents what to do not the other way around...it makes me sick.

You go dad! Shoot that laptop...I would of done the same thing!!!

Would you post your son's car burning on facebook? Oh better yet why don't we start posting smacking our kids online so the whole world can see what great disciplinariians we are The punishment is fine but the side show is immature.