IGNORED

Alms/Giving to Charity - best way to give!

freeinnocentspirit

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

I need an opinion, each year I try to give to a good cause it's just my way of giving back. I was watching an advert for a Charity in the UK which is international and I wondered something - how much of what I give goes to the actual cause and not to administration fees! The moment this thought went in my mind I was unable to donate at all so what I have done is put some money aside to give to a good cause. But its now been 2- 3 years that I havent (I usually donate it at the start of each year - you know start the year on a good deed! its now three years worth!)

Once this thought crossed my mind about my money not actually helping the needy person, I have been unable to just donate it to a cause where there seems to be no direct trail of where it goes. I even went to the scale of checking out the salary of those who are working at a particular Charity (their own salary is very generous!) and that's put me off more. What is the best way to donate and knowing that donation has actually helped a person in need?

How do you give? My only other alternative is to just give it to a Church.

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

I need an opinion, each year I try to give to a good cause it's just my way of giving back. I was watching an advert for a Charity in the UK which is international and I wondered something - how much of what I give goes to the actual cause and not to administration fees! The moment this thought went in my mind I was unable to donate at all so what I have done is put some money aside to give to a good cause. But its now been 2- 3 years that I haven't (I usually donate it at the start of each year - you know start the year on a good deed! its now three years worth!)

Once this thought crossed my mind about my money not actually helping the needy person, I have been unable to just donate it to a cause where there seems to be no direct trail of where it goes. I even went to the scale of checking out the salary of those who are working at a particular Charity (their own salary is very generous!) and that's put me off more. What is the best way to donate and knowing that donation has actually helped a person in need?

How do you give? My only other alternative is to just give it to a Church.....

I Pray And Wait

Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually. 1 Chronicles 16:11

Usually These Ministries (Jesus Rooted And Blooming) Turn Out To Be Very "Small" And Personal Ones

And They Are Always In Areas The Lord Has Broken My Heart Over

Sometimes Over Twenty Or Thirty Years Or More Ago

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7

Have Fun

This Is Even More Joy Than The Annual Family Christmas Party

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

There are many poor people in any community. I would think smaller local organizations would spend the money best. Soup kitchens, shelters, and convents.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

I personally don't give money to ANY church or charity, not only because less than 100% goes to needy but also because every week we hear about another scandal of greed. Therefore, I would go out into society and give the money directly to the needy where you know exactly where your money is going. I don't mean a begging homeless person either cause I don't give to them. I mean find a poor family and stock their fridge or pay an overdue bill or something. Give your money DIRECTLY to needy people and skip the charity and church.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the problem with that is that it's not effecient as to coverage to everyone who needs. You may well give and take care of the people you meet, but what about those that you never see. Can you be sure that someone will help them? Our church helps a lot of people I don't know.

the problem with that is that it's not effecient as to coverage to everyone who needs. You may well give and take care of the people you meet, but what about those that you never see. Can you be sure that someone will help them? Our church helps a lot of people I don't know.

It sounded like you were addressing my comment. If I am wrong, sorry in advance. If not, here is my reply. I believe because of the corruption that is in a lot of churches ( I have literally seen dozens of pastors in my home state of Colorado get busted on the news for stealing from their one church. One was just 5 blocks from my house). My suggestion to give to people you meet was based on 2 points of reasoning.

#1. You don't KNOW if the money you give the church or a charity will actually go to help needy people.

#2. Some people in society are too ashamed or proud to ask for help, answered will NEVER receive help unless someone goes out to find them. I may be able to help someone that no charity or church can. Besides, since most people DO give to church and charity, they don't really need my few extra dollars as much as the hungry mother and her kids down the street do.

I am not saying EVERYONE should stop giving to charity. I am only listing my reasoning for doing so. I am not selfish, but you would think horns had sprouted out of my head from the looks of some churchgoers when week after week the collection plate is passed and I never put anything in. NOTE TO ALL WHO READ THIS. Please be slow to judge your fellow Christian. You may not know the full story of why someone does something. Just because you may not witness good deeds, doesn't mean someone doesn't do them. Besides, Jesus said to do good deeds in secret.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Not the best example here...

Still when the hubby and I have pocket change from shopping we give to the salvation army. Otherwise we know a couple families, who like us are not too well off, so if we have something that we are not using that they could use....we give it to them. We do offer what we can to the church too when they bring about special buckets and things for missions.

Have been scoffed at in the past by small children in the church when we did not have anything to give. Nearly made me cry right there, but waited till we got home. There are times I almost wish we did have more just so we could give without being looked at so poorly.

Then...if one gives what one can with a gracious heart, it is amazing to see what that little bit does.

May God Bless You

Dani

Edited by AnotherSinner

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I personally like Samaritan's Purse ( Franklin Graham) - They help with food, clean drinking water in harsh areas like the Sudan and they help out North America and around the world when disaster strikes. They are accountable to ( forget the name?) the religious accountability organization.

Another group to consider is one that spreads Christianity to the Jews. One is Chosen People Ministries, Jews for Jesus and many others.

But, check out whoever you decide to donate to before sending money and make certain that the majority goes to the work not to trips and cars and and lavish living for the top honchos and make certain there is accountability.

Not the best example here...

Still when the hubby and I have pocket change from shopping we give to the salvation army. Otherwise we know a couple families, who like us are not too well off, so if we have something that we are not using that they could use....we give it to them. We do offer what we can to the church too when they bring about special buckets and things for missions.

Have been scoffed at in the past by small children in the church when we did not have anything to give. Nearly made me cry right there, but waited till we got home. There are times I almost wish we did have more just so we could give without being looked at so poorly.

Then...if one gives what one can with a gracious heart, it is amazing to see what that little bit does.

May God Bless You

Dani

Remember what Jesus told the disciples about the poor widow.

Mark 12:41-44 KJV

And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

If people choose to judge you let them. They can explain to God.when they see him why they were so incorrect in their judgement. YOU will be rewarded for your good deeds. Keep in mind that we do not do things for the praise of men. We do it for God. I myself have experienced what you just mentioned, so I understand. I actually go out of my way to give so no one sees it. Because of this there are more than a few people who accused me of selfishness. Keep the faith and please keep your eyes on Jesus, not man.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I am not selfish, but you would think horns had sprouted out of my head from the looks of some churchgoers when week after week the collection plate is passed and I never put anything in.

Why do you attend a church you don't trust?

For instance my church does a comprehensive breakdown of our finances once a year, including where every cent goes, bills,etc.