• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Psalm 19:1-10

Ps 19:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

Ps 19:2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.

Ps 19:3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

Ps 19:4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

Ps 19:5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

Ps 19:6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

Ps 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

Ps 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.

Ps 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Ps 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Psalm 19 indicates that God's word was spoken by angels (Hebrews 2:2), and that There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.

Psalm 12:6-7 indicates that The LORD shalt keep his words, and He shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Proverbs 20:24 indicates that The LORD used men to keep his words (Romans 3:1-2 - The LORD used Jews to keep His words.).

Scriptures are they which testify of Christ... John 5:39

Testify (from Webster's dictionary):

- to give testimony for the purpose of communicating to others a knowledge of something not known to them.

- To affirm or declare solemnly for the purpose of establishing a fact.

It is stated in 2 John 1:9 that Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Genesis 3:1 - Satan said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

- Satan is behind "wresting" scriptures (2 Peter 3:16).

2 Peter 3:16 indicates that Peter claimed that Pauline epistles were/are scripture.

The Apocryphal books which the RCC canonized were not canonized by Protestants because they were found to have doctrinal errors in them, and because they were usually found to have been written much later than the OT books we now have, mostly during the 430 year period that is called the Intertestamental Period between the Old and New Testaments.

- That "Intertestamental Period...

Could Amos 8 be speaking about the "Intertestamental Period"?

Amos 8:11-14

Amos 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:

Amos 8:12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.

Amos 8:13 In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.

Amos 8:14 They that swear by the sin of Samaria, and say, Thy god, O Dan, liveth; and, The manner of Beersheba liveth; even they shall fall, and never rise up again.

...Therefore if Amos 8 is speaking about that Intertestamental period, anything written in that intertestamental period is not the word of the LORD, as it is stated that "they shall not find the word of the LORD" (verse 12).

Does the Apocrypha state that there was no prophet in the Intertestemental period?

1 Maccabees 4

{4:41} Then Judas numbered men to fight against those who were in the stronghold, until they had cleansed the holy places.

{4:42} And he chose priests without blemish, whose will held to the law of God.

{4:43} And they cleansed the holy places, and they took away the stones of defilement to an unclean place.

{4:44} And he considered the altar of holocausts, which had been profaned, as to what he should do with it.

{4:45} And a good counsel fell upon them, to destroy it, lest it might become a reproach to them, because the Gentiles had defiled it; so they demolished it.

{4:46} And they stored the stones in the mountain house, in a fitting place, until there should come a prophet, who would provide an answer about these.

Haydock Catholic Commentary:

Prophet. None was recognized after Malachias, as God prepared his people to pay more attention to the Messias.

{4:47} Then they took whole stones, according to the law, and they built a new altar, according to that which was before.

{4:48} And they rebuilt the holy places and the things that were in the inner parts of the temple, and they sanctified the temple and the courts.

1 Maccabees 9

{9:23} And it happened that, after the death of Judas, the iniquitous began to emerge in all the parts of Israel, and they began to encourage all those who worked iniquity.

{9:24} In those days, there occurred a very great famine, and the entire region handed itself over to Bacchides.

{9:25} And Bacchides chose impious men, and he appointed them as rulers of the region.

{9:26} And they sought out and persecuted the friends of Judas, and they led them to Bacchides, and he took vengeance on them and abused them.

{9:27} And there occurred a great tribulation in Israel, such as had never been, since the day that there was no prophet seen in Israel.

No prophet since the days of Malachi, (Calmet) or the return from captivity. (Josephus)

(For info on what the brackets mean): I went to the Haydock Catholic Commentary website, and there is a page on the site that states what the brackets are referring to:

"(Calmet)" is referring to the commentator "Aug. Calmet (1757)"

And etc.

{9:28} And all the friends of Judas gathered together, and they said to Jonathan:

{9:29} “Since your brother Judas has fallen away, there is not a man like him to go forth against our enemies, against Bacchides and those who are the enemies of our nation.

{9:30} And so now, we have chosen you in his place, on this day, to be our leader and commander in order to wage our wars.”

{9:31} And so, at that time, Jonathan took upon himself the leadership, and he rose up in the place of Judas, his brother.

1 Maccabees 14

{14:35} And the people saw the acts of Simon, and the glory that he intended to bring to his nation, and they made him their commander and first priest, because he had done all these things, and because of the justice and faith that he maintained for his nation, and because he sought to exalt his people by all means.

{14:36} And in his days, there was prosperity by his hands, so that the Gentiles were taken away from their country, and also those who were in the city of David, in Jerusalem, in the stronghold, from which they went out and contaminated all the places that were around the sanctuary, and from which they brought a great scourging against chastity.

{14:37} And he placed in it Jewish men, as a means of protection for the region and the city, and he raised the walls of Jerusalem.

{14:38} And king Demetrius confirmed him in the high priesthood.

{14:39} According to these things, he made him his friend, and he glorified him with great glory.

{14:40} For he heard that the Romans had called the Jews their friends, and associates, and brothers, and that they received the ambassadors of Simon with glory,

{14:41} and that the Jews and their priests had consented that he should be their governor and high priest unceasingly, until there should arise a faithful prophet,

{14:42} and that he should be the commander over them, and that he should take care of the sanctuary, and that he should appoint foremen over their works, and over the country, and over the weapons, and over the strongholds,

{14:43} and that he should take care of the holy places, and that he should be obeyed by all, and that all the records in the country should be recorded in his name, and that he should be clothed in purple and gold,

{14:44} and that it should not be lawful for any of the people or the priests to make void any of these things, nor to contradict things that are said by him, nor to call together an assembly in the country without him, nor to be clothed in purple, nor to use a clasp of gold.

Prophet. This limitation was proper, as the people had chosen this family. The Jews expected the faithful prophet shortly, chap. iv. 46., and Malachias iii. 1., and Aggeus ii. 7. God was pleased that none should appear for some time before that event. (Calmet) --- The high priesthood continued in this family till Herod began to sell it,---soon after which Christ appeared. (Worthington) --- The sceptre seemed to belong to Juda. Yet they consent to be governed by Levites, till God signify his will by some prophet. (Menochius) --- This consent of the nation, in which Juda was most powerful, shews that the sceptre was not departed from his thigh. (Haydock)

(^ Aggeus=Haggai)

Edited by Ephesians__6_24

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I heard that there is a gospel of Marry Magdalene

but bcs she was a woman...... :noidea::huh:

Being a woman had nothing to do with the book being rejected from the cannon. We have the books of Ruth and Esther.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

Yes there is a gospel of Mary, but like I stated before, it is a forgery and was NOT written by Mary. There was even a Gospel of Judas discovered and all over the news just a couple years ago.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

I have always wondered myself about this subject. I would not word the title of the thread the way it is, personally, though. It seems to say that there are other "gospels" out there. And I am a stickler for words, and "gospel" means "good news". But personally, I would rather substitute the word 'gospel' for 'books' or 'letters'.

Anyways, I have not personally read through all the other books and letters that have come around. So I cannot comment specifically on them. However, what I would like to comment on is that there is a clear and very distinct difference between the "scriptures" and the rest of the Bible. I personally do not hold to the authority of a group of men who decided a specific 'group' of books should be included or not.

But, I do find that what is in the "Bible" is enough for me. I have read a few of the other books left out. I personally find the book of Enoch very interesting. But what is in the Bible is plenty enough for me. And what I mean by that is I personally have no desire for any more information.

I do find it interesting to read other material though.

But, I think the reason why other 'gospels' were not included is the simple fact that they did not "fit". The men in charge of putting together the "Bible" just could not see how the other writings fit in.

What I would do, though, if I were to desire to know if the other writings were true or not, is to hold them up to the light of the known Scriptures. And by that I mean what we call the "old" testament. If they are completely contradictory, then I would dismiss them, if not, then take them with a grain of salt.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Being a woman had nothing to do with the book being rejected from the cannon. We have the books of Ruth and Esther.

I heard that the reason Marry been kicked out was bcs peter and some other disciples unhappy for Marry’s great reputation made them lower.(news from the BBC/or Discovery documentary)

Scriptures are they which testify of Christ... John 5:39

Testify (from Webster's dictionary):

- to give testimony for the purpose of communicating to others a knowledge of something not known to them.

- To affirm or declare solemnly for the purpose of establishing a fact.

It is stated in 2 John 1:9 that Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

- If "Scriptures are they which testify of Christ... John 5:39"

- Does 2 Maccabees 12:46 testify of Christ?

2 Maccabees 12

{12:39} And the following day, Judas came with his own, in order to take away the bodies of the fallen, and to place them in the sepulchers of their fathers with their ancestors.

{12:40} But they found, under the tunics of the slain, some of the treasures of the idols that were near Jamnia, which were prohibited to Jews by the law. Therefore, it became manifest that it was for this reason that they had been overthrown.

{12:41} And so, they all blessed the just judgment of the Lord, who had made hidden things manifest.

{12:42} So then, turning themselves to prayers, they petitioned him that the offense which had been done would be delivered into oblivion. And truly, the very strong Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves without sin, since they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sins of those who were struck down.

{12:43} And, calling an assembly, he sent twelve thousand drachmas of silver to Jerusalem, to be offered for a sacrifice for the sins of the dead, thinking well and religiously about the resurrection,

{12:44} (for if he had not hoped that those who had fallen would be resurrected, it would have seemed superfluous and vain to pray for the dead,)

{12:45} and because he considered that those who had fallen asleep with piety had great grace stored up for them.

{12:46} Therefore, it is a holy and beneficial thought to pray on behalf of those who have passed away, so that they may be released from sins.

- Luke 16:26 is "the doctrine of Christ", and states that there is a great gulf fixed, so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence:

Luke 16:19-31

Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

Luke 16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

Luke 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

Luke 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Luke 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Luke 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

Luke 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Luke 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

Luke 16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Luke 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

Luke 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

- Therefore, is it "a holy and beneficial thought to pray on behalf of those who have passed away, so that they may be released from sins." (2 Maccabees 12:46) ?

- Is 2 Maccabees 12:46 scripture? does it testify of Christ?

[1 Timothy 1:3-5]

Edited by Ephesians__6_24

I heard that the reason Marry been kicked out was bcs peter and some other disciples unhappy for Marry’s great reputation made them lower.(news from the BBC/or Discovery documentary)

1 Timothy 1:3-5

1Tim 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

1Tim 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

1Tim 1:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Hi silvia. Cobalt is correct. That is a false viewpoint. It is one that so called scholars who do not even believe the bible are promoting. That so called gospel includes eastern mystic views that contradict the bible. That is why it is not included. It has nothing to do with Mary or her reputation. It is a false gospel and not the word of God.

Why would you believe what a secular media institution such as the BBC or Discovery Channel says about a book of the Bible? Any time Discovery does some show on the Bible it is rife with errors.

The supposed book of Mary was not accepted because it did not meet the requirements for canonization. There is nothing in any of the NT books we have that imply that Mary enjoyed some elevated status within the church. That is 100% an invention centuries later by the RCC.

why BBC or Discovery Channel issue this kind of the news?

Actually ,I know that the gospel of marry is wrong bcs it shows some kind of Gnosticism.

But is Pentecostal Movement on some degree the Gnosticism?

I do not like the Pentecostal Movement.