On-line Purchases

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I was naive to think that I could trust people when I make on-line purchase, some guy / gal is having a shopping spree on my card. As of about 4 pm today my card is stopped, but I am dishearted and discouraged. I will think twice next time and may possibly buy no more.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

That is why you should only shop online at website that have good reputation.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,170
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

All of my cards would back the charges off your bill. It does happen now and then. discover will occasionally just send me a new card because someone's database has been broken into. So far none of the purchases others have made have been billed to me.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I had my identity stolen once. I won't mention what was purchased with it, being foul. My bank did give me back the money I lost ... good ol' insurance!

All of my cards would back the charges off your bill. It does happen now and then. discover will occasionally just send me a new card because someone's database has been broken into. So far none of the purchases others have made have been billed to me.

I had my identity stolen once. I won't mention what was purchased with it, being foul. My bank did give me back the money I lost ... good ol' insurance!

Chase said I would not be responsible, but they haven't credited my account as yet.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

along with calling your credit card company, you probably should contact all three of the credit bureau’s and let them know of the theft. Don’t depend on your credit card company to have your interests in mind. The reason I’m saying this is because this person who is having a ball at your expense may try to fill out further credit cards in the future using your name. They can go a year or so and then wham. . .the applications and or charges in your name start rolling in.

Once the bureau’s have a record, it will help you with the processes of denying purchases you did not make. When someone tries to use your name for an application or purchase, you will be called to verify if it was indeed you that made the purchase or applied.

It may be a plus to you in the future, to use a prepaid card that only has a specific amount on it at one time for purchases. That way if someone gets a hold of the number they can’t go on a spending spree unchecked. Another way to help protect your interests is to call the business and make the purchase over the phone.

And if you do decide to do a purchase online, double check to see that the page or pages are encrypted or locked. Not that it is fool proof, but is helpful against such theft.

along with calling your credit card company, you probably should contact all three of the credit bureau’s and let them know of the theft. Don’t depend on your credit card company to have your interests in mind. The reason I’m saying this is because this person who is having a ball at your expense may try to fill out further credit cards in the future using your name. They can go a year or so and then wham. . .the applications and or charges in your name start rolling in.

Once the bureau’s have a record, it will help you with the processes of denying purchases you did not make. When someone tries to use your name for an application or purchase, you will be called to verify if it was indeed you that made the purchase or applied.

It may be a plus to you in the future, to use a prepaid card that only has a specific amount on it at one time for purchases. That way if someone gets a hold of the number they can’t go on a spending spree unchecked. Another way to help protect your interests is to call the business and make the purchase over the phone.

And if you do decide to do a purchase online, double check to see that the page or pages are encrypted or locked. Not that it is fool proof, but is helpful against such theft.

Very helpful information, thank you.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/18/1979

depending on which browser you use as well, there are add-ons which can help.

For firefox look for WOT (web of Trust), users can rate a website on how trust worthy it is.

Google Chrome also has security addons which can help as well.

Final tip, when checking out of an online store, Make sure that in the address bar it says https://www............ instead of http://www....... the s at the end designates that it is a secure server it is using.

Now do not get me wrong, all of these things will not stop the determined id thief, but it will stop 95% of casual thieves.

Other online tips. Never use an easy to guess password, always use a password which uses letters and numbers in both upper and lower case, and if you can remeber it use symbols as well. this makes passwords very difficult to hack.

Here is a good website to check how tough your passwords are to crack. http://www.passwordmeter.com/

I was naive to think that I could trust people when I make on-line purchase, some guy / gal is having a shopping spree on my card. As of about 4 pm today my card is stopped, but I am disheartened and discouraged. I will think twice next time and may possibly buy no more....

We've Had Credit Cards Hijacked Twice. The Last Time Was A Couple Of Weeks Ago

In Both Cases The Card Information Was Swiped From A Brick And Mortar Store And Then Fraudulently Used For On-Line Shopping

We Shop On-Line Without Fear And The Last Time I Used My Card On-Line Was Late Last Night

Of Course Both Carol And I Carry AllClear (Debix) Credit Insurance

It Cost Each Of Us $10.00 A Month And It Is Needed For The Rest Of Our Lives

Because One Of Our Old Health Insurance Accounts

With DOB, Addresses, All Medical Histories

And Social Security Numbers Etc.

Was Hacked

What Fun :24: :24: :24: