Someday, they will, but not today.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I would personally like to know everyones standpoint on speaking in tounges and what they think it actually means today. I believe that most scripture concerning this is in acts. However I would just like to know how people understand the speaking of tounges so please if anyone is will I would like to read and answer different understandings and opinions.

Speaking in tongues is when a person is Baptised in the Holy Ghost, and the Spirit prays through us in a language we don't understand. It can be a language like Spanish, French, German, etc., or it can be an angelic language. Some believe the purpose of tongues was so the disciples could witness to people in a language they didn't know naturally, but that doesn't make sense, given the fact they began speaking in tongues in the upper room.

Why not show from scripture its beginning in the upper room in a language they didn't know and show from scripture its purpose you speak about. thanks

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

No, the tongues will not cease today, they ceased long ago upon completion of the revelation of the completed NT.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I just like the fact that God has gotten a hold of the most troublesome part of our body that

man seem to cannot control and God made your tongue to speak the way he wants it for a moment of the new born birth, another language.

Just like a new born babe gone thru the water, thru the blood and speak a new voice in the air and the evident of a new born is alive.

What proof that a person has the Holy Ghost without evidents ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Paul makes a distinction between the use of these tongues to aid ones personal faith and walk with G-d, and the use of tongues within the context of a congregation...where unless

they can be translated or interpreted to the rest of the gathering, they are unprofitable....and indeed if any Unbeliever visits they will think we are a bunch of nutters.

NO! Paul does not make a distinction between private vs. public tongues. He makes a distinction between what people can understand and what they can't understand. Paul does NOT instruct, or give approval for, anyone to use tongues for private benefit. The purpose of tongues isn't for private nor church use (which is the point of 1Cor14). The purpose is given in 1Cor14:21 and the purpose is illustrated in Acts 2.

Hi Eisleben....I'm all ears. From what I understand from Scripture, from what I have experienced and from what I practice I have used tongues constantly as have many others

that I know, in order to encourage myself in G-d and expand and direct my prayer-life and my faith...all done in private for my personal edification.

Now it is good to have this as part of the natural spiritual life...and I think most people that have been sozzled in the Holy Spirit can't hardly keep from this form of prayer...but Paul

makes it clear that self-edification is good....but the edification, exhortation and consolation of the Body has a greater (more far-reaching) benefit, and as such encourages people

to seek to move into this form of gifting...not necessarily through tongues unless the gift of interpretation is present with someone, but through clear language that is Holy Spirit inspired

and speaks to the heart of those gathered there.

From what I see here the distinctions are clear...private devotions in tongues are useful for self-edification...in the Body they must be used prophetically....and as far as I can tell

the reference in Acts 2 that you referred to is another way that tongues is employed as a sign to Unbelievers....I think there is more going on than you think, but I am always happy

to learn more or be shown where I might not have picked up on something properly. So far I don't quite see your point my friend, but I'm listening.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

It is first referenced in Acts 2:1-4

1 AND when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

This took place in the upper room, before they encountered any people of differen't nations and tongues. If you continue reading, it says the following.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Notice that it says they heard them speak in their language. It doesn't even say they were preaching to the multitude. It appears to me they were just praying in tongues, and the people recognized the languages as their own.

You say they heard them speak in their language and because it doesn't say they were preaching that it appears they were just praying in these languages that others recognized as their own even though it doesn't even mentioning the word praying in these verses. Why would someone assume that? Acts 2:1-12 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.” 12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “Whatever could this mean?”

No where in the first 3 verses does it mention that they were praying nor even speaking until the Holy Spirit gave them utterance. They were confused when they heard them speaking in their languages. We do not have to guess what they were saying because v11 says they were talking about the wonderful works of God. I don't think one can get that they were praying by reading these verses.

There is a difference between praying in tongues and giving out a message in tongues. Praying in tongues is something we do, when we let the Spirit pray through us when we don't know what to pray for.

You say praying in tongues is something believers do when we let the Spirit pray when we don't know what to pray. But the only scripture that comes to my mind when I hear this is Romans 8:26-27 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. But v26 says that the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. He doesn't speak any words to us but to the Father for the saints according to the will of God. So this scripture cannot be used to support what you said.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

No, the tongues will not cease today, they ceased long ago upon completion of the revelation of the completed NT.

1 Corinthians 13:8-12

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

You must think the time has already come for "that which is perfect has come" came already? If this is so, then why do we still know in part? Why has knowledge not vanished away? Why have we not put childish things away yet? Why do we not know as we are known. The answers the all the questions is because "that which is perfect" has not come yet.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

1 Corinthians 13:8-12

Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

You must think the time has already come for "that which is perfect has come" came already? If this is so, then why do we still know in part? Why has knowledge not vanished away? Why have we not put childish things away yet? Why do we not know as we are known. The answers the all the questions is because "that which is perfect" has not come yet.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

Did We Miss Him?

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Wherefore comfort one another with these words.1 Thessalonians 4:14-18

I Think Not~!

Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Behold, I have told you before.

Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Matthew 24:23-27

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. 4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding

I've been praying in tongues for 9 years now. When I pray in tongues, my spirit prays but it bypasses my unrenewed mind. I believe it's my spirit praying in union with the Holy Spirit what needs to be prayed. When I pray in tongues, I don't understand it but I've noticed when I spend a long time praying in tongues, the Lord sets up more divine appointments and I'm more spiritually in tune with where the Spirit is leading. I also recieve words over people with more clarity. Tongues are awesome. If you don't pray in tongues ask the Holy Spirit for it. It's the least of the gifts because it edifies only yourself without an interpreter, but through you being edified you are in a better position to edify others.

I can't wait until the western Church moves past the debate of tongues and on to operating in the greater gifts. There's a world that needs Jesus and we have been given every tool we need to reach them. That is why we are asked to seek after the best gifts, especially prophecy.

23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

OneLight:

Someday, they will, but not today.

Preach it!!!

SevenSeas:

Frankly, I have seen far more fake healings than heard fake tongues....I've heard fake tongues...makes your hair stand on end....fake healings

are worth money tho, so I guess they just continue.......until that which is perfect is come....like tongues

Young Lady, you need to stop hang'in with them folks. If Tongues be real, then Healing is real, is Word of Wisdom is real, is Word of Knowledge is real.

If you worked in ministry around healing, being a part. The Gifts of Healing's is a ministry Gift. The Spirit of God Quickens (Make alive, bring back dead and non working things to life, through resurrection power.) That healing gift seems to work on the unsaved, and new babies to set things right.

In a more indoctrinated, and mature Christian. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get them to receive. I often has to go over Job, Paul's Thorn, Jacob's hip, Timothy and his wine for his tummy, Paul left Trophey sick, and on, and on.

Some of the greatest Healing testimonies is when people have just stood on the Word, and believed God. God wants me healed, I am in agreement, and nothing is going to take my joy, or keep me from what God said was mine.

Tongues can't be faked, I am not sure who said that. By the Holy Spirit you know right away.

Jesus Is Lord.

Right-O...didn't say I do not believe in one gift over the other....to clarify: tongues is not as lucrative as healing...far more folks want to be

healed then want to speak in tongues...lots of false prophets running around too I'm sure you will agree

However, I do not believe it is a lack of faith when someone does not get healed....not everyone does get healed...in fact, most

prob do not....we've prob had that conversation? ;) (not for this thread tho I would not think)

Well yes you do know if someone is faking tongues I just wish that the fake interpretations of tongues would also be as noticeable...

(in churches where they make a habit of one person speaks in tongues and then someone supposedly has an interpretation)

I've heard some very iffy 'translations' that actually countered scripture