• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Compassion folks?

For some, working for that long without food is a health risk. Being hypoglycemic, I'm a bit more sensitive to this issue. A diabetic could end up in the hospital.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Wondering what others thing about abusive work places. How much is too much to put up with until you can find work elsewhere? I'm thinking of office policy type stuff rather than that "jerk" boss everyone has dealt with at some point in their working lives. This might include things like being told you can't have a lunch break, can't eat at your desk, etc., "you'll just have to eat before you come on your 8 hour shift.", being treated in other ways as if you are a 3 year old each day when you are an adult.

I get it that as believers we are to submit to authority. That's not the issue. What do you do when the authority starts getting abusive?

this is where you need to spend some time

http://www.dol.gov/oasam/programs/crc/2011-workplace-harassment.htm

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1955

I have worked in toxic/abusive environments. And the workplace I'm in now is as well. Not in the way you're describing- but more involved than the boss being a jerk on occasion. The main piece of advice I can give you is that if you will be dilligent in praying about the situation and doing the job to the best of your ability, God makes it clear when it's time to move on. He always Has for me. There have been times when things wee quite difficult, but He would say "stay put." And when the time did come, the doors opened.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/22/1984

I put it back in It's place. <snip> The point is that nobody can deny your rights.

So, my advice is this: if you want to find work elsewhere do it, but at first teach wisdom to your co-workers. That's what Solomon teaches in Ec 10:4

That's all well and good -- but it needs to be done without getting fired first. :) They tried the no water thing here also -- which is illegal in my state since we're mostly desert. They dropped the issue like a hot potato when that little fact was mentioned. The situation is hard to describe and has more to do with psychological type abuse than the more obvious kind. These folks are very careful to avoid the lawyers. I'm looking for something else in the mean time but not having much in the way of results.

Yes that can be a real problem, on the part of you contract you're sure that you have nothing that can keep you in place? If, as you said it's more a psychological abuse I think that you workers might be protected by this kind of things. Besides, I'm sorry that I don't know well the laws of your country.

A good start is praying for another work for you, wich I'll surely do. Practically speaking, I hope you can find some good choice.

But Jesus foreseeing that men would turn to OSHA, Unions and other man made protective services rather than to God himself asks:

.....Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

You speak as if OSHA is some sort of evil institution and that anyone who dares to even consider contacting them does so because they lack faith.

Man has a way of seeking man for answers/help and not God. Are you positive that OSHA is Gods answer to the problem?

Gary

Folks, I have sought the Lord over this stuff. Its not about lacking faith, its about real life. Its about a question I posted in the OP, and I'd ask that if you want to debate whether OSHA is a part of the answer or not that you would do so in another thread. Please. :)

<snip>

I don't mean to sound harsh, but we are suppose to be a light and not cry about our surroundings. God always makes a way and goodness and Mercy follows us.... That should be real to the believer.

Be blessed.

Great testimony -- but it does sound a bit on the harsh side, and I'm not "crying" about my surroundings, looking for pity, or any of that. I've learned in my time there are different kinds of prison than the kind with bars, wire, and guards. I've made bad decisions also, which part of the reason I am in the situation I'm in and I can accept that -- but I have no intention of being stuck here one second longer than I have to be.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/29/1963

Walla299, you do what you believe the Holy Spirit is directing you to do in this situation. If He is prompting you to leave, then leave. If He is pressing on your heart for you to stay, then you stay. But you listen to Him...and Him alone. It is His guidance, His direction and wisdom that matters most. Listen to your heart...and His. Amen.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

Wondering what others thing about abusive work places. How much is too much to put up with until you can find work elsewhere? I'm thinking of office policy type stuff rather than that "jerk" boss everyone has dealt with at some point in their working lives. This might include things like being told you can't have a lunch break, can't eat at your desk, etc., "you'll just have to eat before you come on your 8 hour shift.", being treated in other ways as if you are a 3 year old each day when you are an adult.

I get it that as believers we are to submit to authority. That's not the issue. What do you do when the authority starts getting abusive?

OSHA...has a law that protects an employee of abuse from a Boss or a co-worker.

It is called ...Work Place Violence.

If you do not have another job in line...I would suggest follow their Golden Rules...or they will give you the BOOT !

And another thing, with the economy the way it is, in order to keep your job...I would not hang with the people who complain about their job,

at your work place. People Love to rat on others at your job. And another way to get the BOOT !

This is my sisters' favorite saying...." Lump it or Leave it " . LOL

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

walla299

Hey brother, I don't exactly know your situation and we all are graced to hang in different places. I am amazed at those that preach the word in places like Iraq year after year and are still alive and going strong. Heading to a place like Iraq without the grace or being called there would just get you killed.

I do know God prompts us when it's time to move on. Sometimes we are sent to one job just to get one person then time to go. God supply's our needs so God is not looking at the job as our means of support. I know that faith and that dreaded word called Patience inherit the promises and God opens doors we never expected. Stay expecting and just confess each morning that this is my day for promotion and greater things. God is doing great things for me.

Blessings.........

I know you have this addressed to Walla, but it really applies to us all..... and I needed to hear it myself.... thank you.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

OSHA...has a law that protects an employee of abuse from a Boss or a co-worker.

It is called ...Work Place Violence.

If you do not have another job in line...I would suggest follow their Golden Rules...or they will give you the BOOT !

And another thing, with the economy the way it is, in order to keep your job...I would not hang with the people who complain about their job,

at your work place. People Love to rat on others at your job. And another way to get the BOOT !

This is my sisters' favorite saying...." Lump it or Leave it " . LOL

Alternatively, join a union or if there isn't a union set up a union: and if they try to sack you, sue, protest and expose them. Your employers behaviour is evil, so make sure people locally know about it - expose their perfidy. No one has a right to exploit and abuse those less powerful than them.