IGNORED

Is It Acceptable for Christians to Swear?

Mila Friiele

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I come across so many Christians who have absolutely no problem with swearing. And I mean, swearing. Since when is it okay to let loose with a tirade of nasty language? Or even the "f" word. I had lunch with a woman calling herself a Christian, who says she believes there is nothing wrong with cussing. Or swearing. Even the "f" word is okay to her. I told her we are to be in the world but not of the world. Separate and called out, but that made no impression upon her at all. Her boyfriend has no trouble speaking with every second word being "f" this and "f" that, and then telling my other unsaved friend he needs Jesus. My friend later laughed and said they are no Christians.

There's at least one woman in my church who seems to believe that swearing is not an issue either. And though she doesn't use the "f" word, I find myself bothered by her language. I haven't said anything, and honestly not sure if I will. Perhaps these are signs of people falling away in the last days.

Does anyone else have a problem with this, or am I just being too "Christian".

It creates an appearance of evil.

First of all, it does not "create" an appearance of evil. The "appearance" is in the mind of the beholder. I do not believe profane language is evil (though in some contexts it is unseemly), so to me there is no such appearance.

Secondly, if you are referring to 1 Thess. 5:22, you might want to consider a few different translations, as well as the context of the verse.

I am not so sure that a word in and of itself is evil? There are some words that are called unclean or dirty that to me are just fine. The word bastard for instance, is used in the Bible. Then there is the word used to describe a female dog. That word is used all the time in dog shows, but is considered a curse word, and there are about 3 major uses for it. One is a female dog, one is a loose woman, and one is a hateful woman. Frankly, I am not personally bothered by either, but I don't use them. Why? Because of how it looks to others. The only thing I know is wrong is using God's name in vain. That is a clear violation of one of his Commandments, and I am bothered by anyone doing that.

I would suggest that Christians refrain from the use of curse words, because it harms our testimony.

That's a matter of opinion. Which harms our testimony more -- to use coarse language, or to be viewed as a bunch of stodgy weirdos *** edited ***?

I would say that using coarse language harms our testimony more. That is not even a hard question.

Really? IMO, to view it as "easy" is to take a simplistic, superficial view. If you *define* Xian as "someone who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't cuss, doesn't have tattoos, doesn't have long hair," then sure, doing any of those things harms your testimony -- among people who believe the way you do.

Uh Christian (Xian is too easily confusing) means little Christ. Someone who does the things Jesus did and acts as he acted. You are using liberty for license to go about spewing filthy words of your mouth. That is anti-nomianism and was condemned in the early church as being wrong. I think you're STILL a baby Believer, personally. Time to grow up.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

What is Xian, what do you all mean by that?

wiki says a person who believes they are

"spiritually immortal; transcendent; super-human; celestial being"

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

2nd peter 2

10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.

12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;

13 And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

16 But was rebuked for his iniquity: the dumb ass speaking with man's voice forbad the madness of the prophet.

17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever.

This bolded worrd is a no no in most public areas. just thought I would throw this into the mix and see whats said .

Maybe I'm missing something in my interpretation, but biblically, this was meant in a literal sense to describe the animal itself. A donkey, by definition, cannot speak, and is therefore DUMB. ASS is just another word for donkey, since that's what they were called. I'm not sure it's meant as a curse, being that those words have a normal, mundane definition, where words like the f-bomb don't really have any...

Again, maybe I'm missing what you were going for with the insertion of this piece of scripture, and if so, definitely point me in the right direction. But I'm pretty sure it's just a descriptive phrase of reference.

You are right in what you say and i just thru this out because today it is considered a cuss word I have been called this many time for many mistakes Ive made and have heard it used as cussing many times.

I should have clarified y self. Sorry

No problem at all, that's kind of what I figured, but wasn't sure. No problem at all friend!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Isn't it obvious from reading the Bible that cussing and swearing is wrong. It certainly is, and several of you even quoted the sections of the Bible that say so. But some so-called Christians insist on doing it anyway. I think we're still talking about this because we're bored and need a new discussion. Maybe I can make one. In a new thread.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1985

Isn't it obvious from reading the Bible that cussing and swearing is wrong. It certainly is, and several of you even quoted the sections of the Bible that say so. But some so-called Christians insist on doing it anyway. I think we're still talking about this because we're bored and need a new discussion. Maybe I can make one. In a new thread.

Ummm, not so sure that's fair. The purpose of these forums is to discuss and debate the subject, and allow for new people to offer their opinions, and not close it down when ONE person feels it's reached it's limit. Yes, we've been quoting scripture to support our feelings that swearing is wrong and that the use of profanity is wrong. Within that, we've also been giving some testimonies of our own battles with swearing, as a way to guide others to helpful ways to NOT do it. Threads like this have the potential to help build others up with support and kind words, and should be continued as long as the conversation remains civil, productive and in the interest of giving glory to our Lord. Sorry to offend, I mean no hostility, but things must be thought through a little deeper before making an assessment.