asper

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  36
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

This may be another one of the 'knats and camels' subject like someone mentioned in another thread. I personally have never spoken in tongues, but I do not doubt that I have been filled with the spirit. I wouldn't condemn anyone who stesses that speaking in tongues, but I would say that it is and has been over-emphasized in many churches where people are expected to speak in tongues and it only is a bunch of 'high' emotions rather than true spirit-filled emotions.

Being filled with the spirit is not something we study to accomplish; it is nothing but the divine presence of God in a persons life.

Guest Norrin Radd

Sorry folks, but I advise you close this out. There are just too many misunderstandings here, too many beliefs about subjective experiences, it is divisive and needs to be seen as a work of the flesh because of that, etc.

Sometimes divisions are good -- 1 Cor. 11:19

Don't seek, and don't forbid.

That's a C&MA teaching, not a Biblical teaching.

The instructions about tongues in ch 14, were meant to make them as useful as the historic day of Pentecost ones--a sign for unbelieving Jews. The other direction is not maturity.

The instructions in 1 Cor. 14 were a means for dealing with a particular unruly assembly, and were not intended to be universal, as we can see from Acts 10 and 19.

In Jesus Christ, we have have the righteousness and sanctification and redemption and wisdom of God (1 Cor 1). I'm not sure, but that would seem to be enough to have that you could let go of many other 'things.'

Why abandon "things" God in His grace has provided and in fact encourages us to use?