Openly Curious

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question concerning the verse in.......

2 Peter 3:8 - But, beloved, be not ignorant of this "one" thing, that "one day" is with the Lord as a thousand years, "and" a thousand years, as "one day".

If only one day to the Lord is 1000 years and a 1000 years to the Lord is just one day. Does this mean that Jesus has only been gone for 2 days? This being 2ooo years after the resurrection of Christ. Another 1000 years would make it 3000 years after the resurrection of Jesus. Then that would mean Jesus has only been gone for 3 days.

Need some :help::noidea:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I believe the point of that verse is to say that time has no meaning to God, as in, He was and always is, and can move through time at His will, with no restraints.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99

I believe the point of that verse is to say that time has no meaning to God, as in, He was and always is, and can move through time at His will, with no restraints.

I think that a furtherance of this would be to say that God created everything.

Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Time is part of everything, so God created time. God is not bound by His creation so God is not bound by time.

In this context it's incredibly difficult for me to take 2 Peter 3:8 literally and it's my opinion that it's likely an elucidation to God's complete Sovereignty over His creation, specifically with regards to the passage of time, in a manner that's easier for humans to digest.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Psalms 90:1-4

1. LORD, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.

2. Before the mountains were brought forth, Or ever You had formed the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.

3. You turn man to destruction and say "Return O children of men."

4. For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it is past, And like a watch in the Night.

(Makes me agree with wing)

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Wouldn't it have been perfectly simply for God if he had wanted to say "that time has no meaning to God" that he had inspired Peter to write "time has no meaning to God" instead that what is actually written?

Guest ninhao

For God during eternity one thousand years is not much time at all. Maybe likened to one day for us for perspective. Similarly a firefly could say "But do not forget this one thing you fireflies. With the man a second is like an hour and an hour is like one second." I guess. :D

Guest shiloh357

I have a question concerning the verse in.......

2 Peter 3:8 - But, beloved, be not ignorant of this "one" thing, that "one day" is with the Lord as a thousand years, "and" a thousand years, as "one day".

If only one day to the Lord is 1000 years and a 1000 years to the Lord is just one day. Does this mean that Jesus has only been gone for 2 days? This being 2ooo years after the resurrection of Christ. Another 1000 years would make it 3000 years after the resurrection of Jesus. Then that would mean Jesus has only been gone for 3 days.

Need some :help::noidea:

Peter is not giving us a formula. He is responding to mockers who are asking him why the Lord is delaying His coming? Evidently, the prevelant view at that time was that the Lord's return was iminent. Mockers and skeptics were using that as fodder for making fun of the believers who had no doubt expressed a view that the Lord would return in their lifetime.

Peter's point is that what people call slowness or delay, God calls mercy. I don't think Peter means that 1,000 years is equal to 24 hours in God's time. I think there is a definite time dilation between how time appears to us and how it appears to God. He lives and operates outside of the linear time, so the passage of time is very different from God's perspective.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Fixed....

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I understand what you are saying about time I think God is time for he created it. God is the beginning and the end. I think God does have a time table for example, No one knows the day nor hour of Christ's return except the Father. God has a set time for everything don't you think? For there is a time for every thing to be done and in God's time he will bring to pass his word. The time of the tribulation God will cause it to happen at the appointed time he has set for it to happen. God does things like when the time comes he will create a new heaven and a new earth. I can also see that mankind is in God's time we have limited time he gave to us on this earth but he doesn't. For God's time is everlasting with no end forever and forever. God has created everything in HIS time. Everthing that exists works according to his time. You've said the point of the verse is to say that time has no meaning to God. But I kinda believe that time does have meaning to God. In that.when it comes to creating things. I just don't think God will stop the creating things throughout eternity. Those things will all be created in the future in his time according to whatever he wants to create. God will just speak it into existance and then call it good. I know time with God is never ending for it will last for all eternity. But I tend to believe time does have meaning to God just thoughts and opinions.