• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Shalom Gary,

I should of removed your post in my quote so not to cause you to feel I am addressing your question. I was addressing what Son posted, which I read as being able to gain the gift through scholastic studies. Yes, praying for humility is how I get "out of His way". We are in agreement.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Shalom Gary,

I should of removed your post in my quote so not to cause you to feel I am addressing your question. I was addressing what Son posted, which I read as being able to gain the gift through scholastic studies. Yes, praying for humility is how I get "out of His way". We are in agreement.

Awesome, thanks for the clarity.

Gary

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/17/1942

What is the gift of prophecy and how would one know if they have it?

In Jesus Name,

Gary

The best book that I have read on this is by Graham Cooke and is titled "Developing your prophetic gifting." He explains in detail the different levels of todays prophesy with examples.

When I see books titles like this, I am reminded that this is a gift of the Holy Spirit and cannot be developed as a skill. He moves in the believer and speaks through the believer. All the believer has to develop is to get out of His way, becoming a vessel for His use.

There is a "School of Prophecy" in my area where people go the learn how to be a prophet. This is just another wayward group of believers wanting to be considered a prophet. When we are given a gift of the Spirit, He chooses us, we do not choose the gift. We are told to desire the gift, but the gift is not something one can learn in any school of book.

Just tryng to be helpful. I certainly got a lot out of his book.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

The best book that I have read on this is by Graham Cooke and is titled "Developing your prophetic gifting." He explains in detail the different levels of todays prophesy with examples.

I have been following this thread but had refrained from posting my thoughts until now.

The best book in my opinion is the word of God.

I personally don't think/ believe; that you can develop a gift by reading Cooke's book.

The word of God warns us about the prophets that will come along towards the end of times.

Deuteronomy 18:21,22.

You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?”

If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken.

That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

Let's keep our eyes fixed on the cross and His word. When He calls us home; may we all find ourselves ready.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/06/1949

want to share with you something shared with me a number of yrs ago,this person came to me and said he belived the Lord was teling him it was time for my family to move and then we would prosper,as i thought about it.i tested it out ,etc ,1,i was not the head of the household he should have share it with my then hubby,was more but take to long ,,This is funny now,we asked him what was his motive for shareing with me,he said its becourse my house number was 66,,so i said ,theres 66 books in the bible,,we need to test what is being shared with us,whatever gifts are manafested,by Gods word,and the lord always confirms His word,just wanted to share ,,hope its not off topic,

want to share with you something shared with me a number of yrs ago,this person came to me and said he belived the Lord was teling him it was time for my family to move and then we would prosper,as i thought about it.i tested it out ,etc ,1,i was not the head of the household he should have share it with my then hubby,was more but take to long ,,This is funny now,we asked him what was his motive for shareing with me,he said its becourse my house number was 66,,so i said ,theres 66 books in the bible,,we need to test what is being shared with us,whatever gifts are manafested,by Gods word,and the lord always confirms His word,just wanted to share ,,hope its not off topic,

Thanks for sharing victory.

Gary

Guest bryanw92

Prophecy applies the Scripture to specific situations rather than just a general overall sense. A prophet in both the Older and New Testaments did this. A prophet also uplifts or rebukes within that specific situation to which God has led him or her to speak. In the authority-order, the prophet ranks #2.

Apostle (missionary: apostolos...one sent out)

Prophet (the forthteller, applying Scripture to situations as God leads)

Evangelist (the good news-bringer, the gatherer or harvester of souls)

Pastor (the shepherd: poimen, the guider through everyday life for a group of Believers)

Teacher (the guy/girl who breaks down Scripture and explains it to the Believers)

From my studies and from the classes I've taken, this is the way I understand the NT prophet to be. Since the Word has already been given, there isn't a need for a future-teller prophet anymore. The NT prophet is a person with strong discernment and a wisdom that sees the application of scripture in everyday situations. Their prophecy gift lies in being able to examine a situtation with a bird's eye view and discern the outcome so they can remind people of the applicable scripture to correct, redirect, or possibly to exhort them in their their actions.

Prophecy applies the Scripture to specific situations rather than just a general overall sense. A prophet in both the Older and New Testaments did this. A prophet also uplifts or rebukes within that specific situation to which God has led him or her to speak. In the authority-order, the prophet ranks #2.

Apostle (missionary: apostolos...one sent out)

Prophet (the forthteller, applying Scripture to situations as God leads)

Evangelist (the good news-bringer, the gatherer or harvester of souls)

Pastor (the shepherd: poimen, the guider through everyday life for a group of Believers)

Teacher (the guy/girl who breaks down Scripture and explains it to the Believers)

From my studies and from the classes I've taken, this is the way I understand the NT prophet to be. Since the Word has already been given, there isn't a need for a future-teller prophet anymore. The NT prophet is a person with strong discernment and a wisdom that sees the application of scripture in everyday situations. Their prophecy gift lies in being able to examine a situtation with a bird's eye view and discern the outcome so they can remind people of the applicable scripture to correct, redirect, or possibly to exhort them in their their actions.

Thanks for the reply...food for thought.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What is the gift of prophecy and how would one know if they have it?

In Jesus Name,

Gary

i have the gift of prophesy. God has told me what is to come, He has revealed to me the Mysteries of the Bible, opened up my understanding of them. One will know they have the gift of prophesy when God reveals to them what is to come.

^i^

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

i have the gift of prophesy. God has told me what is to come, He has revealed to me the Mysteries of the Bible, opened up my understanding of them. One will know they have the gift of prophesy when God reveals to them what is to come.

How do you know it is from God?

Jeremiah 23:21

I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

Matthew 7:22

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,

have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?