joi

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Here in Canada we have had free health care for as long as I can remember. For the very few times my family has had to visit the doctor it has cost us dearly in taxes. By the time all is said and done....my family pays 65% of our earnings out to various tax related government programs. That's Canada for you...land of the free.

Just think, you all are paying taxes for abortions now just like we are. ALOT of our tax dollars go to those. And parents stand in line in emergency rooms over a child with a cough. People go because of the craziest things too...and the drunks are another one, along with those tripping on drugs that get a free hospital stay until they are done the bad trip. Don't get me started on health care.

I don't know where you live, but I am Canadian and I really do not find our health care system to be as degenerative as

what you seem to be presenting.

65%? are you sure? As far as actual health benefits go, the employee and the employer each pay a percentage and

that is what goes to healthcare

Would you like to pay 45,000.oo dollars for an operation instead? Yes, that is what bypass surgery would cost you

if you needed one and did not have healthcare. I know, because someone we know had that surgery and they

were not Canadian but had the operation in Canada because it was an emergency life saving operation.

I'm VERY glad we have healthcare and I am happy to contribute

What I would like to see done away with, are retired folks paying school taxes. My mom is 86 and is still having to

pay school taxes. I'm pretty sure she has paid her share a long time ago

I'm still paying but no children in school.

Honestly, I take exception to knocking Canada...and by the way, Land of the Free is an American expression

I don't mean to be argumentative...I am presenting another view on the same thing

I'm fine discussing it with you, I just do not quite agree so if you would like to discuss further that's fine

We've had health care discussions for a long time here..... We've taken several cruises in the Canada/Alaska area for the past 4 years, and when we are there I ask as many Canadians as I can (literally hundreds and hundreds) and not a single one has told me that they wanted to change their health care. The few people who do come to the us for care they don't want to wait for are so outnumbered that they should be considered insignificant........ but they aren't.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a Canadian now living in America and while I do like some things about the American system, I do think I prefer the Canadian system. I went to the ER when I was in college because I was having chest pains. After an exam, EKG and chest x-ray it was determined it was a muscle issue causing the pains and nothing cardiac related.

I never got a bill from that ER visit.

If I had been in the U.S. at the time it would have bankrupted me as I was attending classes full time and not working.

YES we pay more in taxes but in my opinion it's worth it, at least when it comes to health care.

I'd also like to state for the record that we do have private health care in Canada as well so if you do have the money and want to pay for specialized care for yourself, you can.

Also of note: Prescription medications are NOT included in Canada's health care coverage. You either have to have separate coverage (usually through an employer) or pay out of pocket for those.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

We've had health care discussions for a long time here..... We've taken several cruises in the Canada/Alaska area for the past 4 years, and when we are there I ask as many Canadians as I can (literally hundreds and hundreds) and not a single one has told me that they wanted to change their health care. The few people who do come to the us for care they don't want to wait for are so outnumbered that they should be considered insignificant........ but they aren't.

I think that whatever point someone wants to make on the issue of universal healthcare can be made.

In Canada, I think it works very well. What has bogged down our health care here, are all the people from other countires who immigrate

and voila...the moment they have a stamp on their visa or are approved for residence they receive all the benefits even though THEY HAVE NEVER contributed! I find that outrageous!

Surely there should be some kind of large contribution made or a waiting period until one can plug into something that Canadians have

built up and paid for every day of their working lives?

Canadians may not be able to sustain their present system of healthcare because there are way more individuals sucking through a straw

at the lovely feast then there are people who have actually contributed all their lives.

End of rant

ps...and no, I am not saying Canada should not help those who really need it...like children who come here for an operation or whatever

because they are from a 3rd world country and need proper care.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

sort of along with this subject, one should check thier insurance to see if it will pay while you visit Canada or Mexico. I know Medicare does not. We usually get insurance through our travel club...

Some insurance will cover you visiting foreign countries and some will not.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I think that whatever point someone wants to make on the issue of universal healthcare can be made.

In Canada, I think it works very well. What has bogged down our health care here, are all the people from other countires who immigrate

and voila...the moment they have a stamp on their visa or are approved for residence they receive all the benefits even though THEY HAVE NEVER contributed! I find that outrageous!

Surely there should be some kind of large contribution made or a waiting period until one can plug into something that Canadians have

built up and paid for every day of their working lives?

Canadians may not be able to sustain their present system of healthcare because there are way more individuals sucking through a straw

at the lovely feast then there are people who have actually contributed all their lives.

End of rant

ps...and no, I am not saying Canada should not help those who really need it...like children who come here for an operation or whatever

because they are from a 3rd world country and need proper care.

I don't wish to sound like I'm being sarcastic when I point this out, but I invite you to re-read what you posted.

On the one hand, you wrote "In Canada, I think [our healthcare system] works very well."

But then, the rest of what you posted points out what DOESN'T work about it - mainly, it's bogged down by providing healthcare services to people who have not paid into it.

Isn't that what those of us who oppose Obamacare have been saying? That socialized medicine - while it might seem to some on the surface like a good and charitable idea - is in reality a system that cannot sustain itself?

Blessings!

-Ed