IGNORED

Should Christians Give to Their Local Church?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

B. The tithe (or suggested one tenth of our income given to the local church) is part of giving. But not all giving is limited to the tithe. We are called as Christians to give cheerfully (joyfully/hilariously?) as one purposes in our heart. (2 Cor. 9:7)

2 Corinthians 9:7

“So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

In Christ,

Eagle

I think we are to give as led, it's pretty simple to me. The church I currently attend doesn't pass a plate. They have a box in the back and they ask that anyone who donates do so discreetly. They don't give sermons telling everyone to tithe 10 percent of their gross income and I've yet to hear money come up as an issue there of any sort since I've been going (almost 3 months). They trust God to provide for the needs of the local church and He does. If more churches operated in this sort of faith I suspect conversations such as this would happen far less often.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

For some reason I remember a story I heard - true story.

A pope was marveling at the wealth the being brought in to the cathedral (or something like that) by saying to his companion, "No longer can the Church say, 'Silver and gold have I none.'"

His companion replied, "Yes, but no longer can the Church say, 'In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazereth, rise and walk.'"

Just something to think about.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Most of the scripture used to justify tithing to a local assembly is twisted from the texts that should be helping us understand the righteous use of our surplus amongst the brethren, especially the Jewish peoples. I prefer to go to Galatians for understanding pertaining to giving to the local assembly.

Gal 6:6 ¶ Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all [men], especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

God says here bluntly that you will get what you pay for. You can soak your money into a new house and a nice ride or you can pump some cash into the pockets of your spiritual teachers who will then be equipped to help you reap spiritually in due season. The point of the tithes and offerings in the OT was so that there would be food in Gods house. God still wants his ministers fed. I am of the mind that he would also like there to be an over abundance of food in his house so that the poor can come to him and receive nourishment for their bodies as well as their souls through our mercy and grace we received and give shed abroad unto them.

Moses was faithful in all his house, Christ in his and we must ask ourselves if we are being faithful in our own house.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

For once I can say AMEN! to all of the above.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Most of the scripture used to justify tithing to a local assembly is twisted from the texts that should be helping us understand the righteous use of our surplus amongst the brethren, especially the Jewish peoples. I prefer to go to Galatians for understanding pertaining to giving to the local assembly.

Gal 6:6 ¶ Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all [men], especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Moses was faithful in all his house, Christ in his and we must ask ourselves if we are being faithful in our own house.

Amen! I agree. Good thoughts and a good question underlined.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  450
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

If God gives you a dollar can you give 10 cents back as a gift as saying thank you ?

You are still 90% ahead.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I don't think it matters where you give as long as you give cheerfully. I struggled with this 10% tithe concept for a long time. It has became more automatic these days. I donate to my church but I also donate to other nonprofit foundations.

I think 10% is a good start. Ideally we (if we're out of debt and manage our money well) should be able to give well above that no?

If God gives you a dollar can you give 10 cents back as a gift as saying thank you ?

You are still 90% ahead.

Good perspective Bible Gazer.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I think that one should give as one is able and give joyfully if one gives grudgingly then it is better not to give at all. But if you worship at the church then you should also support that church.