worshiper70

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  436
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  13

My first Pastor talked about the way the staff may have been used in the time of David and Goliath. I seem to remember him stating that it was a custom to mark on the staff you carried, victories you had won. It went something like, when David killed the lion and bear, he drew on his staff ta picture to represent this event. Then when he fought Goliath, he may had had the staff with him and held it up in front of him. This would cause him to see the staff, and not Goliath as it would block his view partially. I love the image and lesson in this, even if I never learn more about it. The idea is, that you only see your victories instead of the the enemy before you.

Does anyone know of any customs like this? I figure it may be cool to hear of this a little more. I will just visit this post from time to time to see if anyone does.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I always thought of it as the shepherd's staff that was used for grabbing ahold of sheep by the hook.

The rod is for correcection. Thy rod and thy staff, they somfort me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Maybe we shouldn't think in terms of a skinny little pole, but rather a thick wooden shaft. You can whack a wolf with it from a reasonable distance and send him packing. You can defend yourself with it against attackers within reason. It helps you to keep your balance. It can be used to flick away a snake. Quite useful.