Qnts2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

There is a song on the radio which in the chorus mentions Angel Armies, The God of Angel Armies.

The title of the song is 'Whom Shall I fear' by Chris Tomlin.

The words are:

I know who goes before me

I know who stands behind

The God of angel armies is always by my side

The One who reigns forever

He is a friend of mine

The God of angel armies is always by my side"

Ok, I like the words except for 'the God of Angel Armies'.

The word in Hebrew usually translated as Angel is malak, and actually means messenger. In scripture it is most often stated as 'angel of the Lord' to identify whose messenger it is.

Angel armies? Generally angels are messengers. Does this bother anyone else?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I think this is referring to the Lord of Hosts. Psm. 84:1 It doesn't bother me at all. Jesus has been called Commander and Chief of the Lord's armies. Check out Joshua 5:13-15 where Christ appears to Joshua as the Commander of the Lord's armies. I believe that God's armies of angels fight on our behalf against principalities and powers, and wickedness in high places. Psm 24:10, Luke 2:13-14 both speak of the heavenly hosts being angels, and God being their Commander and King.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

I think this is referring to the Lord of Hosts. Psm. 84:1 It doesn't bother me at all. Jesus has been called Commander and Chief of the Lord's armies. Check out Joshua 5:13-15 where Christ appears to Joshua as the Commander of the Lord's armies. I believe that God's armies of angels fight on our behalf against principalities and powers, and wickedness in high places. Psm 24:10, Luke 2:13-14 both speak of the heavenly hosts being angels, and God being their Commander and King.

Amen Willamina, great Post- I agree.

This song is one of my favorites :)

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

There is a song on the radio which in the chorus mentions Angel Armies, The God of Angel Armies.

The words are:

I know who stands behind

He is a friend of mine

The word in Hebrew usually translated as Angel is malak, and actually means messenger. In scripture it is most often stated as 'angel of the Lord' to identify whose messenger it is.

No, it does not bother me. And here is why:

Mat 26:53 Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

Jesus seemed to think that angels could take care of the problem a little more efficiently than Peter and the other 10 could. :)

Gods messengers do not always bring a pleasant message. Remember Sodom. Only two angels there. Messy stuff as they took out like 5 cities. Remember the 180,000 who woke up dead the next morning when one angle of the Lord came through. And also there was the whole first born thing in Egypt. One angel. Untold number of first born people and animals died in that episode.

The God of angel armies is always by my side!

• Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I have scanned scripture (Bible Gateway) for any reference to an angel army. So far, what I have found is that everytime army is mentioned it is a human army except for just a couple.

Ezekiel 1:21 When those went, these went; when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

22 The likeness of the firmament above the heads of the living creatures was like the color of an awesome crystal, stretched out over their heads. 23 And under the firmament their wings spread out straight, one toward another. Each one had two which covered one side, and each one had two which covered the other side of the body. 24 When they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of many waters, like the voice of the Almighty, a tumult like the noise of an army; and when they stood still, they let down their wings.

This particular verse provides some interesting information. First of all, these are living creatures (but not necessarily angels). What I find interesting is that in 2 Kings chapter seven, when Israel is about to be attacked, the invading army heard the sounds of a huge army. In this verse, it says these creatures with wings make a noise of an army.

2 Kings 7:6 For the Lord had caused the army of the Syrians to hear the noise of chariots and the noise of horses—the noise of a great army; so they said to one another, “Look, the king of Israel has hired against us the kings of the Hittites and the kings of the Egyptians to attack us!”

Also this verse speak of an army of locust which is not people:

Joel 2:25

“So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, The crawling locust, The consuming locust, And the chewing locust, My great army which I sent among you.

I can not find a verse which speaks of an angel army. And I do not believe the creatures with wings are necessarily an angel. Of course, that raises another question. We know there are creatures in heaven other then God, Jesus, angels, and saints. But, is there such a great number of winged creatures in heaven that their wings sound like an army. And is this literal? I believe it is.

But, I know angels are messengers because that is what it means and what their main function is. I know angels can be active participants in Gods judgements. I worry about attributing to angels the idea of an army.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Off topic.

I had to go to bibleontheweb.com for a better search engine. Bible Gateway is great but not so great a search engine. The best I have found is esword. They also are free downloads, but the latter has several references that you can pay for that I have added because I have hard copies that are favs. I can't say enough for e-sword. Except that they don't have an app for my pad. They also have free commentaries, greek dictionaries, many Bible versions etc. Easy to use, too.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

It doesn't bother me for the simple fact that it's just a song. I never heard the song, but my guess is the phrase Angel Armies has the right sound when sung, and fits with the musical notes being played. I really don't know the correct words for what I want to say, so I hope you know what I mean.

But I think the Bible implies angels do and have always, fought for God. Starting with the war in Heaven. How these beings fight we don't know. I also found the scripture in Daniel to support this idea. I can't quote it, but I mean the scripture where Daniel asked God a question and the answer was a long time coming. When the angel with the answer finally arrived, he said he was held up fighting the Prince of Persia (another name for Satan) until another angel arrived to take over the fight, and the 1st angel came to Earth to answer Daniel's questions. I like this story because it shows there is so much more going on than what we are generally aware of.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Qnts2, I believe you are getting hung up on a word as you have it defined in your mind. Armies. I do that a lot until I research a word to better understand its meaning so that I can better see its application across various spectrums. Look at what I have pasted below from Blue Letter Bible in regards to the Hebrew word used for both armies and hosts.

Lexicon Results

Strong's H6635 - tsaba'

צָבָא

Transliteration

tsaba'

Pronunciation

tsä·vä' (Key)

Part of Speech

masculine noun

Root Word (Etymology)

TWOT Reference

1865a,1865b

Outline of Biblical Usage

1) that which goes forth, army, war, warfare, host

a) army, host

1) host (of organised army)

2) host (of angels)

3) of sun, moon, and stars

4) of whole creation

b) war, warfare, service, go out to war

c) service

Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 485

AVhost 393, war 41, army 29, battle 5, service 5, appointed time 3, warfare2, soldiers 1, company 1, misc 5

Does this help?

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,112
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The words are:

I know who stands behind

He is a friend of mine

no