• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I guess I don't find this scandalous so much as interesting:

POPE Francis has been embroiled in a scandal after footage emerged today appearing to show him giving a man an exorcism in St Peter's Square.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co...l#ixzz2TwTXV8S6

Please note, I am not calling it a scandal...the reporter is. :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,171
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Why would it be a scandal if he did do an exorcism..... He's a Jesuit.

Btw I've seen the same kind of thing happen in any number of Assembly of God Churches, and they happen on TBN all the time.

The catholic church has been exorcising for centuries, so why now does it become a scandal?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I don't think it's a scandel as much as I found the video enlightening to the fact that it appears that everyone is caught off gaurd except the Pope who took it all in stride. If you look at the face of the boys father and the reaction of the Popes aides de camp you will see shock and bewilderment almost an embarrassment.

I agree. I guess it just makes for eye catching headlines.

What did they expect the pope to do anyway? @ other one..yes..I did know he is a Jesuit

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Exorcism is an area much needed but neglected in contemporary Christianity. This was certainly not the case in the early church. Our official culture dismisses belief in the supernatural and Biblical values are denigrated.

Exorcism is an area much needed but neglected in contemporary Christianity. This was certainly not the case in the early church. Our official culture dismisses belief in the supernatural and Biblical values are denigrated.

What do you think of the NT teaching that all believers have authority in Christ to cast out demons?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I also don't see why the reporter called that scandalous.

In regards to Seven's question about the NT teaching all believers in Christ have power to cast out demons, that certainly is true that the NT says this. But IMO we don't all have the gift that enables us to do such a thing. As I said, this is my opinion. Maybe it's a special kind of faith that is required, I really don't know. I think it's similar to healing. Some of us seem able to heal others through the laying on of hands and prayer, and some of us don't. But with casting out evil spirits, I'm reminded that Jesus said some of them can only come out with fasting. Unfortunately Jesus didn't elaborate on that, and I wish he did. I suppose if I ever needed to attempt this I would. But I don't think doing this sort of thing is where my gifts from God are.

Guess it must be 'scandalous' that a man in the Pope's position, a 21st century leader, might still believe in the supernatural. Next scandal will be the discovery that prayer is common among Christians, and some even believe in Jesus' resurrection or even more rediculous, His future return!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  156
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  288
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Sevenseas, I don't believe that anyone should heedlessly go into exorcism. There should be training and a person needs to know what they are doing. Anyone involved in exorcism should also be living a committed, holy life since doing an exorcism can make you subject to demonic attack. The bigger issue I think is that exorcisms are very uncommon in advanced western countries.There are, I think 2 primary reasons for this. The first is stigma. No nice. sane person or church wishes to become associated with the practice of exorcism. The second is fear of demonic attack. Unfortunately, as a consequence of this there are many afflicted people who are never helped. I believe that demonic manifestation is more common then many people think. There are many people, for example, who have had experiences with or know people who have had experiences with apparitions, poltergeist activity or other supernatural manifestations which is a form of demonic activity. A certain portion of mental illness and antisocial behavior is related to the demonic.

There are dangers involved in exorcism. A person performing an exorcism may be physically attacked by a demonized person or be verbally threatened or threats may be made against family members. There is also the possibility of transference. In A. A. Allen's large healing crusades in the 1950's he would expel demons which would then manifest in someone else in the audience. Some demons are more entrenched or more powerful and may be more difficult to expel. So I think you need to know what you are doing and be prepared. I know Derek Prince practiced mass deliverance and there is also self deliverance. Demons also like to return so the person receiving the exorcism should be living a holy, committed life and may need some subsequent help.

I suspect the Pope may have been praying for someone and that there may have been demonic manifestation. True exorcism in the Roman Catholic Church is a lengthy, ritualized procedure, involving prior preparation of the recipient of the exorcism and often more then one session.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

Interestingly, there seems to be a shift in the latter part of the New Testament regarding demonic warfare. The teaching portions of the New Testament (Romans through Jude) refer to demonic activity, yet do not discuss the actions of casting them out, nor are believers exhorted to do so. We are told to put on the armor to stand against them (

Ephesians 6:10-18). We are told to resist the devil (James 4:7), be careful of him (1 Peter 5:8), and not give him room in our lives (Ephesians 4:27). However, we are not told how to cast him or his demons out of others, or that we should even consider doing so.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-exorcism.html#ixzz2UGAXYhgt