IGNORED

Who is the the lawless one in 2Thessalonians 2?

silviawang

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,393
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

That 'lawless one' who sits on God's throne, demanding his own way is us; our ego and 'old man' identity. When we confess that we ourselves have been taking the place of God IN OUR OWN HEART, then our ego structure is taken out of the way, the Lord ,destroys him with the brightness of His coming' fully into our lives.

Every blessing to you in your journey.

disagree,but i do not want to argue with y

In one way in Scripture we area allowed to reason as Leonard has here ....

John 8:42-44

42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God;

nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.  43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not

able to listen to My word.  44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He

was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he

speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.

NKJV

Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Thank you Steven.

Such a depth of self mortification is simply beyond the capability of mortal man. It is also "The gift of God, lest any man should boast......"

• 6 years later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

The man of sin of 2 Thessalonians 2 is THE POPE. It is not just one man, but the office of the pope. This is the office of the anti-Christ. Even the pope's very title, the so-called "vicar of Christ," literally means anti-Christ. The Greek word "anti" also means "in place of" (e.g., the proposition "for" in "eye for an eye" is "anti" in Greek - see https://biblehub.com/greek/473.htm). And that's what a "vicar" is - something that is a substitute, a replacement for.

Catholicism has many "false signs and lying wonders" such as appearances of Mary. And in 1 Timothy 4:1-3, Paul prophesies concerning the "falling away," which would includes doctrines of devils such as forbidding to marry and commanding to abstain from meats, both of which Catholicism does.

And the restraining power was pagan Rome, which became papal Rome.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/09/1984

I was in a Philosophy of Religion discord channel.  I don't to discord often, in fact, it was my first time in one.  I listen to them for awhile.   I brought up Honor.  A Judge is Your Honor or The Honorable.  Given he is not, he is corrupt, yellow, arbitrary, and a number of other negative things.  A dishonorable judge is disbarred.  Given he is not disbarred, that allows corruption to grow and hurts the legitimacy of Government. 

How important is honor to Law?  Man walks down the street.  He had a few drinks with dinner.  He was walking home.  He had not done anything wrong.  The police stop him.  He doesn't care to talk to them, and keeps walking.  The police arrest him for Public Intoxication.  He pleads not guilty.  Who was the injured party?  The injured party was "The Honor of the State of ______________."  Was the State Honorable?  Given the state has been doing dishonorable things, and police officers have been lying on police reports, and other such things, that hurts the legitimacy of government.   

I was on a Philosophy of Religion discord channel.  I brought up Honor.  Someone tried to argue with me that honor was just a title and didn't matter.  I worked to explain to him how honor worked with Justice.  He didn't care.  He believed that honor didn't matter, and he didn't care if a Judge was honorable or not on some sort of corrupt and skewed ideological perspective.  In this understanding, we are starting to see a "man of lawlessness." What he may have showing was an Anti-Christ Spirit. 

Edited by Manonfire63

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  1.03

The lawless one, the man of sin, who has no compunctions, is the king who does according to his will (Daniel 11:3; 16; & 36).

Daniel 11:36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.

• 4 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,235
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Lawless one. We know lawless is not of God so Antichrist yes "whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:". So its not just some man. Who gets cast into the fire?  Beast and false prophet. Only after 1000y is Satan then tossed in also where the beast and false prophet are.  Antichrist or against Christ. "spirit of the antichrist".

Yeah its not talking about some man. So much more to this :)

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 6/17/2013 at 2:43 AM, silviawang said:

2Thessalonians 2

3Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come unless the rebellion comes first and the lawless one* is revealed, the one destined for destruction.* 4He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God. 5Do you not remember that I told you these things when I was still with you? 6And you know what is now restraining him, so that he may be revealed when his time comes. 7For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work, but only until the one who now restrains it is removed. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus* will destroy* with the breath of his mouth, annihilating him by the manifestation of his coming. 9The coming of the lawless one is apparent in the working of Satan, who uses all power, signs, lying wonders, 10and every kind of wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved11For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion, leading them to believe what is false, 12so that all who have not believed the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness will be condemned.

2 Features of the lawless one

1-came before Paul,according to the sentence I highlighted

2-He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God”

Any idea for who he is?

That would be the man of sin, the Antichrist, who will come into the world before Jesus second coming and also grab the attention of the entire world.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Who is the the lawless one in 2Thessalonians 2?

The antichrist.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47

On 6/16/2013 at 6:43 PM, silviawang said:

2Thessalonians 2

3Let no one deceive you in any way; for that day will not come unless the rebellion comes first and the lawless one* is revealed, the one destined for destruction.* 4He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God. 5Do you not remember that I told you these things when I was still with you? 6And you know what is now restraining him, so that he may be revealed when his time comes. 7For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work, but only until the one who now restrains it is removed. 8And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus* will destroy* with the breath of his mouth, annihilating him by the manifestation of his coming. 9The coming of the lawless one is apparent in the working of Satan, who uses all power, signs, lying wonders, 10and every kind of wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved11For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion, leading them to believe what is false, 12so that all who have not believed the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness will be condemned.

2 Features of the lawless one

1-came before Paul,according to the sentence I highlighted

2-He opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, declaring himself to be God”

Any idea for who he is?

I think it could have been Simon ben Giora. Read about him. He minted coins declaring himself the redeemer. He caused more deaths to his own countymen than the Romans. He basically had them captive in Jerusalem at the end, not letting any escape. When the Romans finally broke through and destroyed the temple, he arose out of the ashes from the underground tunnel there. He was dressed as a Jewish king.

He took over the temple, and much blood was spilt there. He also burned the food supply (scarce as it was due to a Sabbath year) To force other factions in the city of Jerusalem to surrender to him or starve. He was in the underground of the temple trying to dig out. He himself had finally run out of food. He couldn't make it out before the romans made it through the walls.

Edited by Anne2
change some facts.