JDavis

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

The Bible does not say official recognition constitutes marriage.Today some governments have no authority over marriage.

Jesus attended a wedding at Cana John 2:1-11.Jacob had a ceremony when he married Leah Genesis 29:1-25.

Marriage should follow society norms as much as possible.

We are not slaves nor do we live in the jungle.In our society we are totally capable of having a Marriage ceremony in the eyes of God.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Moses was given permission to give a writ of divorce in the case of abandonment or marital infidelity. Therefore Marriage was and is recognized by God as a Covenant and so too the civil institution.

The reason is that man was made a relational being and in covenant relationship resides Marriage. God married the first couple in the sight of all Creation and it was a man and a woman.

The Spiritual component of Marriage must also not be overlooked. The man took the woman who was taken from his side to be one flesh with himself. She is bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh. The Marriage ceremony before the community is a very important factor. The community is bearing witness to the vow that is being taken and covenant that is being entered into.

Scripturally speaking the import of Marriage begins in Genesis and according to the law of first mention it was a of a pretty high import because as soon as there was the completion of the two components they were joined by none other than God for there was no one else in an office capable of doing so.

Jesus Himself attended a Marriage ceremony and blessed the event using the occasion to demonstrate the Kingdom of God. It was a Spiritual, Religious, and Civil event.

The import and significance of the ceremony cannot be overlooked. The Hebrew custom of the Wedding should be looked into for the significance.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

i will share these excerpts from Easton's Dictionary.

Marriage
Was instituted in Paradise when man was in innocence (Gen_2:18-24).
Here we have its original charter, which was confirmed by our Lord, as the basis on which all regulations are to be framed (Mat_19:4, Mat_19:5).
It is evident that monogamy was the original law of marriage (Mat_19:5; 1Co_6:16).
This law was violated in after times, when corrupt usages began to be introduced (Gen_4:19; Gen_6:2).
We meet with the prevalence of polygamy and concubinage in the patriarchal age (Gen_16:1-4; Gen_22:21-24; Gen_28:8, Gen_28:9; Gen_29:23-30, etc.).
Polygamy was acknowledged in the Mosaic law and made the basis of legislation, and continued to be practiced all down through the period of Jewish history to the Captivity, after which there is no instance of it on record.
It seems to have been the practice from the beginning for fathers to select wives for their sons (Gen_24:3; Gen_38:6).
Sometimes also proposals were initiated by the father of the maiden (Exo_2:21).
The brothers of the maiden were also sometimes consulted (Gen_24:51; Gen_34:11), but her own consent was not required.
The young man was bound to give a price to the father of the maiden (Gen_31:15; Gen_34:12; Exo_22:16, Exo_22:17; 1Sa_18:23, 1Sa_18:25; Rth_4:10; Hos_3:2) On these patriarchal customs the Mosaic law made no change.
In the pre-Mosaic times, when the proposals were accepted and the marriage price given, the bridegroom could come at once and take away his bride to his own house (Gen_24:63-67).
But in general the marriage was celebrated by a feast in the house of the bride's parents, to which all friends were invited (Gen_29:22, Gen_29:27); and on the day of the marriage the bride, concealed under a thick veil, was conducted to her future husband's home.
Our Lord corrected many false notions then existing on the subject of marriage (Mat_22:23-30), and placed it as a divine institution on the highest grounds.
The apostles state clearly and enforce the nuptial duties of husband and wife (Eph_5:22-33; Col_3:18, Col_3:19; 1Pe_3:1-7).
Marriage is said to be “honourable” (Heb_13:4), and the prohibition of it is noted as one of the marks of degenerate times (1Ti_4:3).
The marriage relation is used to represent the union between God and his people (Isa_54:5; Jer_3:1-14; Hos_2:9, Hos_2:20).
In the New Testament the same figure is employed in representing the love of Christ to his saints (Eph_5:25-27).
The Church of the redeemed is the “Bride, the Lamb's wife” (Rev_19:7-9).

also:

Husband
I.e., the “house-band,” connecting and keeping together the whole family. A man when betrothed was esteemed from that time a husband (Mat_1:16, Mat_1:20; Luk_2:5). A recently married man was exempt from going to war for “one year” (Deu_20:7; Deu_24:5).

and:

Wife
The ordinance of marriage was sanctioned in Paradise (Gen_2:24; Mat_19:4-6).
Monogamy was the original law under which man lived, but polygamy early commenced (Gen_4:19), and continued to prevail all down through Jewish history.
The law of Moses regulated but did not prohibit polygamy. A man might have a plurality of wives, but a wife could have only one husband.
A wife's legal rights (Exo_21:10) and her duties (Prov. 31:10-31; 1Ti_5:14) are specified.
She could be divorced in special cases (Deu_22:13-21), but could not divorce her husband. Divorce was restricted by our Lord to the single case of adultery (Mat_19:3-9).
The duties of husbands and wives in their relations to each other are distinctly set forth in the New Testament (1Co_7:2-5; Eph_5:22-33; Col_3:18, Col_3:19; 1Pe_3:1-7).

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Moses was given permission to give a writ of divorce in the case of abandonment or marital infidelity. Therefore Marriage was and is recognized by God as a Covenant and so too the civil institution.

The reason is that man was made a relational being and in covenant relationship resides Marriage. God married the first couple in the sight of all Creation and it was a man and a woman.

The Spiritual component of Marriage must also not be overlooked. The man took the woman who was taken from his side to be one flesh with himself. She is bone of his bone and flesh of his flesh. The Marriage ceremony before the community is a very important factor. The community is bearing witness to the vow that is being taken and covenant that is being entered into.

Scripturally speaking the import of Marriage begins in Genesis and according to the law of first mention it was a of a pretty high import because as soon as there was the completion of the two components they were joined by none other than God for there was no one else in an office capable of doing so.

Jesus Himself attended a Marriage ceremony and blessed the event using the occasion to demonstrate the Kingdom of God. It was a Spiritual, Religious, and Civil event.

The import and significance of the ceremony cannot be overlooked. The Hebrew custom of the Wedding should be looked into for the significance.

Very well put brother. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Very well put brother. :thumbsup:

curious I dont recall Adam an Eve getting married  as you say; please point me to scripture

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I hope my Q did not stop the discussion of this topic.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,253
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

Romans 13:1-2 Let every soul be subject to ruling authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resist the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgement on themselves.NKJV

In our form of governement the authority is the law, and the persons are just enforcers of the law.

Therefore the signing of the marriage license is what makes you married in the eyes of the law and civil authorities, thus also in God's eyes.

Emotionally, I would not have felt married without being married in my church and in the presence of family and a few friends

But most people today don't do that. Many people can't afford a church wedding, largely because the cost has gone up tremendously. Many spend $20,000 on a wedding or much more. That is totally unnecessary. A big reception, a dinner, rehersal dinner, alcohol and all the decorations are not necessary. These are mostly ethnic traditions with some superstitions thrown in..

I have been told that a bibical wedding was arranged by parents and they bartered for the bride. Then the groom to be goes home and adds a room to dad's house. He returns only when dad has approved of the workmanship. Then the groom snatches away his bride to take her to dad's home for a marriage supper, a week long celebration and much wine. I don't think that would be my choice for a wedding.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

So what constitutes a marriage in God's eyes?

1) As long as the requirements are reasonable and not against the Bible, a couple should seek whatever formal governmental recognition is available. 2) A couple should follow whatever cultural and familial practices are typically employed to recognize a couple as “officially married.” 3) If possible, a couple should consummate the marriage sexually, fulfilling the physical aspect of the “one flesh” principle.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

In transit - from phone - can't recite chpt & vs.

Joseph was espoused to Mary and God said fear not to take Mary thy wife.

When we make vows one to another in Christian faith we are united in God.

The ceremony is primarily for conscience sake - for the people.

The license is to obey the law of the land.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

You can't marry and then remarry 5 months later. One was the marriage in which the marriage covenant was entered into, the other was a celebration, beautiful or not. I'm not saying you were wrong in either thing, but perhaps separating them that way in your mind is causing you your current confusion?

I didn't marry and then remarry 5 months later, I married and 5 months later had a wedding ceremony.  I am not confused, just trying to get the opinions of people on the subject.

While I assume this might change, I find it telling that so far nobody has had any scripture to support their position.

So what was accomplished at the wedding ceremony? My point is that the marriage happened when you got married, a fact to which you seem to agree. I am not sure what else there is to say about it.

Nothing IMHO.