IGNORED

For those that believe in the Big Bang, what was there before?

MarkNigro

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Mark.....  personal opinion only in this.

I would agree that the big bang leaves a lot more questions than answers...   however it is possible.

I don't think we can know if there was anything before, because we can't even be sure that all we presently see is the only thing there is.  We presume so in most sciences, but we don't seem to be able to understand exactly how it all comes together.   We have these constants we have to throw in just to make our math and physics work so we can't really know what is all there.  We have hints of other dimensions and energy that spills over into our dimension.

As much as we do know, the answers to your questions are simply not available to our limited view.

and that's "a" gospel according to Sam...

According to Hawkins' latest proposal, time and space itself came into existence at the moment of the big bang.  Therefore, there was no "before the big bang".

So did all the laws of nature I guess too.

Does it not violate cause and effect?

Does it not violate some conservation laws?

Then it is not science at all.

It is just a miraculous act. 

We must keep in mind that NO ONE knows what came before the Big Bang.  We have theories, beliefs and speculation, but no knowledge.  I have heard apologists argue that singularity existed prior to the Big Bang and attribute that to God.  But we are not certain that it was singularity, so to use that in arguing first cause is not robust.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Nope, we are a Ministry site and we are here to spread the gospel, not defend it. We do not have to. The site was never developed to amuse non believers, it was developed in order people may be ministered to.

Believing comes from hearing the Word. That is all we as believers are called to do by the Lord Jesus Christ, speaking the Word.

Discussing evolution, the big bang, gravity, etc, has nothing to do with speaking the Word. 

Occasionally over the years people have had to be reminded of that in the outer court.

Well, yes, I know that's the nature of the site, but the site is partitioned into several areas: namely, the Inner and Outer Court. When I joined, I read a posted by one of the moderators, Botz:

It seems evident that a number of things need to be pointed out:

1. In Outer Court, those who don't share our beliefs are welcome, and it is a place where they can air their views and discuss and argue about the stance they take.

2. As Believers we should extend to them every courtesy, especially as there was a time when we too did not know the Saviour.

3. Sometimes the interaction can get a bit heated as each party seeks to present their view, this is inevitable if people are passionate about what they are discussing...nothing wrong with a bit of heat.

4. What is not acceptable is when Believers get riled because they feel their faith is under attack and retort out of anger with belittling and insulting language attacking the person.

5. This section of the Boards should be covered with prayer and grace, and this should be evident in the way we treat our guests and unbelieving friends.

6. The only Believers who should be here are those that are happy to engage Unbelievers, and realise that their faith will be under attack and strongly challenged and questioned. (I suggest you pray about this)

Recently despite many gentle warnings and the closure of threads some Believers continue to disregard basic good manners and friendliness, and just as Atheists and others here have to abide by the house rules, how much more should we be an example.

Therefore please understand that this continued behaviour is unacceptable, a really poor example of Christian virtue and has to stop.

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. 26 Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

For added consideration....

7. Constantly demanding to know from Unbelievers about their intent at being here is also not a very friendly approach...those that have obviously come here to mock and play games do not stay for long anyway, and those that stay happily distance themselves from these fellow Unbelievers. We should recognise this and learn to differentiate.

(emphasis, mine)

So, while I understand the nature of the site is ministry, I came to the Outer Court in good faith to discuss my stance directly with people to learn more about theirs. The reason I am here and not somewhere else is I wanted to discuss beliefs that I don't hold with people who hold them, rather than read about there elsewhere, where there is no one to better explain their stance. I can assure you that I am not here for my own amusement at other people's expense; just to have good discussion with others who would like to do the same.

Was my understanding of Botz's post incorrect?

Botz, or any other moderator, cannot circumvent the Terms of Service.  Only the owner can do this.  The ToS is what you agreed to when you signed up asking for membership.  In the ToS, it states:

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

You may not post any material that is disrespectful of God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, or the Bible. This includes user names or anything in your profile, or sig. (Ex. 20:7)

This is a privately funded message board, we reserve the right to edit or remove any postings that we feel are detrimental to the fellowship on this board, or detrimental to the witness of the board, as we see fit. It is not possible to read every post. If you see a board violation, please report it using the “Report Post” button.

There are two main sections to Worthy Boards, the Inner Court and the Outer Court. The Inner court is designed for fellowship and discussion among those who know Jesus Christ as Savior. The outer Court is an area where we allow anyone who wishes to learn more about our belief to ask questions and learn. Those who join Worthy who do not claim Christ as Savior will be designated "nonbeliever'. This designation will mean that they will only be able to post in the Outer Court area. They can read every part of the Forums, but their discussions will be limited to one area.

Lately, about 90% of the reported posts have been from the Outer Court where the ToS has been broken.  There are many ways to disrespect God. the most damaging being a smoothly worded post suggesting He is not real.  This site is here not as an apologetic site to debate everything in scripture, but to help those who are seeking the truth about Him in their lives. Those who are seeking to know Jesus, those who are new to Christ, those who are weak in faith, those who are going through hard times and dry places, these are who we are here for first and foremost.  If any thread or post is seen trying to turn people from God, it will not be allowed if seen or reported.

There are Christian sites that welcome apologetic and are created for this purpose.  Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry, CARM for short, is an excellent site for debating just about everything about religion.  I have spent many hours there myself.  It is not for the weak in theology nor the thin of skin.  For those whose heart is debating or an apologetic, I suggest you check this site out.

So there is no question, this is a ministry first to help those who truly seek help, and it will remain this way as best as it can, through the leading of the Holy SPirit.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Lately, about 90% of the reported posts have been from the Outer Court where the ToS has been broken.  There are many ways to disrespect God. the most damaging being a smoothly worded post suggesting He is not real.  This site is here not as an apologetic site to debate everything in scripture, but to help those who are seeking the truth about Him in their lives. Those who are seeking to know Jesus, those who are new to Christ, those who are weak in faith, those who are going through hard times and dry places, these are who we are here for first and foremost.  If any thread or post is seen trying to turn people from God, it will not be allowed if seen or reported.

I'm sorry. When I read "disrespectful", I figured that would be anything insulting the believers, the beliefs, or God. I didn't feel I was being out of line. Also, I thought the Apologetics board was for discussion of apologetics. I'm glad we're clearing this up, but I hope you can understand how my reading of the ToS and Botz's post made me think my manner of posting was within the site's boundaries.

There are Christian sites that welcome apologetic and are created for this purpose.  Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry, CARM for short, is an excellent site for debating just about everything about religion.  I have spent many hours there myself.  It is not for the weak in theology nor the thin of skin.  For those whose heart is debating or an apologetic, I suggest you check this site out.

So there is no question, this is a ministry first to help those who truly seek help, and it will remain this way as best as it can, through the leading of the Holy SPirit.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out, later.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I would agree that the big bang leaves a lot more questions than answers...   however it is possible.

I don't think we can know if there was anything before, because we can't even be sure that all we presently see is the only thing there is.  We presume so in most sciences, but we don't seem to be able to understand exactly how it all comes together.   We have these constants we have to throw in just to make our math and physics work so we can't really know what is all there.  We have hints of other dimensions and energy that spills over into our dimension.

As much as we do know, the answers to your questions are simply not available to our limited view.

According to Hawkins' latest proposal, time and space itself came into existence at the moment of the big bang.  Therefore, there was no "before the big bang".

if he was so smart he'd be able to walk

That wasn't a nice thing to say.  Hawkings is a great scientist.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

Wow, I have to agree with you gray. What a terrible cheap shot.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,390
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Wow, I have to agree with you gray. What a terrible cheap shot.

There was no shot... He was simply pointing out that a man present today in real time is declaring things of such surmise

and great intellect of how the world began ought to be able to cure himself from his disease!   Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

See, if I was interested understanding science's answers to the questions in the OP, I would go to a scientific resource and not a Christian message board.

For the basics, I suggest this:  http://www.big-bang-theory.com/

If you're looking for more complex answers, I suggest researching the Lambda-CDM model.

Of course you would do that; you're not a believer.  Before the 'Big Bang' (which was the moment God spoke everything into being) there was only God.    :mgbowtie:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

LoL  Stephen is just as blunt with his feelings about people like myself.  he dislikes believers about as much as i dislike his teachings.