IGNORED

Does this verse apply in the way that so many says it does?

firestormx

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.

Does this verse apply in the way that so many says it does? If not, then what is the proper context of this verse? What does submit mean in context?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Looking up the definition of the word "submit", it means yielding to the authority of another.

I am not sure what you are thinking of with "what so many say it does", but I am aware some interpret this to mean wives must be obedient without question. But that cheapens the person-hood of the woman. I would argue that a husband who "demands obedience" isn't loving his wife as Christ loves the Church - for Jesus is not that kind of an ogre. A loving husband will invite his wife's feelings and opinions and work with them, not squash them.

I would venture to say the verse means a wife should regard her husband as her leader - and let him lead.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Looking up the definition of the word "submit", it means yielding to the authority of another.

I am not sure what you are thinking of with "what so many say it does", but I am aware some interpret this to mean wives must be obedient without question. But that cheapens the person-hood of the woman. I would argue that a husband who "demands obedience" isn't loving his wife as Christ loves the Church - for Jesus is not that kind of an ogre. A loving husband will invite his wife's feelings and opinions and work with them, not squash them.

I would venture to say the verse means a wife should regard her husband as her leader - and let him lead.

In regards to the bolded part, that's exactly what I meant. As for the rest....I looked up to the best of my ability the meaning of the original word used in the text. I can see why people would say obey. However, at the same time Christ said we as believers are his friends and brothers and sisters....not slaves only to obey. So I guess I'm stuck at is , where is the line??? Do you understand what I'm asking? I mean clearly nobody is to follow someone else into sin. I find myself stumbling over myself here without really knowing how to phrase this. Where does submission end and slavery begin in regards to wives?

Where does submission end and slavery begin in regards to wives?

When it goes beyond loving your neighbor as yourself. Man has authority over woman but that authority has limits. 

Just my opinion.   :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Firestormx,

When God joined the two that they become one flesh that should really sum it up.......Christ is our head just as the husband is the head of the wife but we are also joined together with Christ as one Body just as the two are joined as one....a husband only has to look at how Christ leads His church to know how to lead his wife.Christ knelt down to wash the feet of His disciple,is this the type of leader that would expect servitude only in His behalf....any good leader would never expect anyone to do anything that they themselves would not do.....so if you would not pick up a mop and scrub the floor how would you expect your wife to?

Marriage is give and take,a women should look to her husband as the authority the same way we look to Christ,for direction,guidance and support....not as some ruler that you cannot trust that will consider all things for your best interest,

Man put it beautifully,love your neighbor as yourself,

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Submission is a natural response to a loving relationship.When a husband loves his wife as Christ loves the Church,then submission is a natural response from a wife to her husband.

The submission talked about in Ephesians 5 is not a one-sided subjection of a believer to a selfish,domineering person.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Have you guys got any idea of the responsibility we carry by that statement of scripture? It is often waved about in different discussions by those under the law, and those under grace, and those in the grey area in between the two.

If someone is submitting themselves to someone as they do to the Lord, it follows that the someone they are submitting to should be emulating the Lord. It is the only way this can work for the good of the Kingdom, and as such, for the good of the couple. Emulate, be like, as best you can be, like the Lord, all the time, 24/7.

That sums up every command Jesus ever gave, and every gospel Paul and other wrote, in one sentence.

Pause for a while and assimilate just how huge a responsibility that is.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to all,

And just in case anyone does not know,ask Fez how many years he and his beautiful bride have been happily married...for someone like me to give advice probably does not hold alot of water,although I could say learn from my mistakes and perhaps you can avoid divorce...if I knew anything about being submissive and Christs love for His bride I may have been married still,,,but that is another story....so do well listening to people like Fez and those that know a little about how to have a successful marriage....and they do give the Glory to God!

I listen to people like Fez and Willa and MissPlaced and all those that have long lived relationships and it gives me encouragement that the Lord is with them and will take good care of anyone who asks Him to...be sure to take advice from where it comes...God bless us all in the Name of our Lord ,our Savior Christ Jesus...

With love,in Christ-Kwik

And just in case anyone does not know,ask Fez how many years he and his beautiful bride have been happily married..

Three.

Give or take.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Blessings to all,

And just in case anyone does not know,ask Fez how many years he and his beautiful bride have been happily married...for someone like me to give advice probably does not hold alot of water,although I could say learn from my mistakes and perhaps you can avoid divorce...if I knew anything about being submissive and Christs love for His bride I may have been married still,,,but that is another story....so do well listening to people like Fez and those that know a little about how to have a successful marriage....and they do give the Glory to God!

I listen to people like Fez and Willa and MissPlaced and all those that have long lived relationships and it gives me encouragement that the Lord is with them and will take good care of anyone who asks Him to...be sure to take advice from where it comes...God bless us all in the Name of our Lord ,our Savior Christ Jesus...

With love,in Christ-Kwik

first of all, if a husband is not being the kind of husband that the Lord has instructed us to be, it is very difficult for a wife to be the wife that the Lord expects them to be.

This submissive thing is not a one way street that a man can treat a woman any way he wants and her follow along submissively.

However it has been my experience that when a man loves his wife as Jesus loves the church, a woman will ultimately naturally be submissive even ff she disagrees with something for she grows to trust that the man has her best interest at heart.  Our marriage of 47 years has always worked much better at the times I put her first.  When you've been married that long you realize that relationships do somewhat change and those joined in love will notice those changes and make adjustments; but this can not be accomplished unless both are dedicated to the relationship.......   and that seldom has anything to do with looks.

I would love my wife the same or more if I were blind