IGNORED

The technology that 15% of Americans don't use.....

MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

This may apply to other countries as well.  Regardless, this is astounding to me....I don't know of ANYONE, personally, who doesn't use the internet! 

http://news.yahoo.com/do-not-use-internet-140141223.html

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

This may apply to other countries as well.  Regardless, this is astounding to me....I don't know of ANYONE, personally, who doesn't use the internet! 

• At Q1 2013, 43.5 million adults (86%) in the UK had used the Internet.
  • 7.1 million adults (14%) had never used the Internet.
  • Men (88%) were more likely to be Internet users than women (84%).
  • By region, London had the highest rate of Internet users (90%); Northern Ireland the lowest (79%).

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/rdit2/internet-access-quarterly-update/2013-q1/stb-ia-q1-2013.html

On our foundation there are  weekly computer classes for beginners. 

So out of interest to your post , I rang the woman that runs them to ask about the numbers.

I thought that most of those that would attend would be in the upper age group, lets say over fifty. 

Strangely enough there are quite a few twenty five to thirty age group that attend and have no computer knowledge what so ever.

The youngest that attends is twenty four years old and the oldest is Jim. 

He is eighty nine years old and sent his first email two weeks ago. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

Me being who I am, I am always astonished when I am looking up information on a business and they do not have a web site connected to their business! I hate having to call some place and ask questions that I could have most likely found the answers too if they only had a web site providing the information.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Fifteen percent isn't hard to believe, you would be hard pressed to find a Amish man using the internet, plus you got more people trying to live off the grid.

Oldzimm

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to all,

I have never been on a computer and never had any interest in learning,I was used to going to the library all of my life and always purchasing different books at the Christian Book Store as well as Barnes & Noble....About three years ago a friend gave me a monitor and keyboard trying to convince me how great computers are and they have been sitting there collecting dust ever since!I just never felt any desire to start learning as I find it difficult to operate my cell phone(lol)

Just this past June another friend gave me a computer for my birthday to go with my other two dust collectors,so I  thought I might as well give it a try......I had no idea of the wealth of information that can be obtained in just a click,no more trips to the library,no more pulling out tons of books for Bible Studies,no more limitations due to any physical disabilities.....praise the Lord for such a blessing....I had no idea how much easier my life could have been years ago!

So,I was one of those people that have never been on the internet until 3 months ago...my typing is an atrocity but I am learning....so you can teach an old dog new tricks!

With love,in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not really astounded at those findings, there are the disabled, and the elderly some who find it really daunting to learn how to use a computer.

There is also those who find it expensive to go online and then there are those who live in rural area's.

I would hate to think of how I would react if I had no computer ...even for a day.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Lol, you need to get out more MG. 

But seriously with me it is the opposite. The friends I have at church, and my work colleagues of course, but although South Africa has one of the highest ratio's of cell phone ownership in Africa, and probably the world, the internet is not a big deal, and many people I know don't use it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,253
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

My cousin is an intelligent woman with a Phd. She says she had to use a computer when she worked and she refuses to use one now that she is retired. Her daughter even was in high up management for HP for 20 years or so. It drives me nuts because I don't write letters but I can email someone in minutes but I take days to write a letter. It is easy to correct mistakes in email and takes a second to send. No hunting for stamps and getting it to the mailbox. I am nortorious for losing letters before they get the stamp and get out to the box.

Hubby is the same way. He uses the computer but rarely uses the internet.

I was computer phobic and usually timed out before I could use one at stores to place an order. But I took a class in 1993 because I figured it would be hard to find a job without computer skills. As it was the jobs I found did not require them but I have sure enjoyed having one. I was fortunate to have professional instruct6or, a sylabus even, but he alowed us to experiment, screw up, and learn from our mistakes. He would bail us out. It became fun instead of terror.

However, I can imagine that students that came from disadvantaged schools do not have computer skills. This would also be true of dropouts who do not have computers in their homes.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Fifteen percent isn't hard to believe, you would be hard pressed to find a Amish man using the internet, plus you got more people trying to live off the grid.

Oldzimm

That is true although the mennonites use them.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

My X sister-in-law does not have a computer.When at the library their are alot of people who are using the computers.