• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

'Christians Are Humanists Who Believe in God' Says Humanist Professor Jim Al-Khalili

By Leonardo Blair , CP Reporter

October 15, 2013|5:10 pm

Theoretical physicist and president of the British Humanist Association Professor Jim Al-Khalili said Christianity had "hijacked" human values and Christians are simply "humanists who believe in God."

<snip>

"They are human values that Christians abide by and therefore they are also humanist in their attitude, they are humanists who believe in God. I don't subscribe to this idea that humanist is atheist and Christian isn't," he ended.

Full report and full quote here

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I found this amusing:

"A human being, for me that's what defines me as a human, that I have the capacity to love, to empathize to sympathize, to be kind. Yes those were values that were taken up by the Abrahamic religions and rightly so because back at a time when people needed to be told that those are important human values," he noted.

As if people today don't need to be told that these are important values to have!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

like a lot of English words there are more than one way to look at his word.

noun
1.a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity.
2.a person devoted to or versed in the humanities.
3.a student of human nature or affairs.
4.a classical scholar.
5.( sometimes initial capital letter ) any one of the scholars of the Renaissance who pursued and disseminated the study and understanding of the cultures of ancient Rome and Greece, and emphasized secular, individualistic, and critical thought.

If you just look at #1, he kind of has a point for we as Christians are supposed to have those concerns.......  but then again there is that #5 that most humanists i have interfaced with would use.

• 1 month later...

like a lot of English words there are more than one way to look at his word.

noun

1. a person having a strong interest in or concern for human welfare, values, and dignity.

2. a person devoted to or versed in the humanities.

3. a student of human nature or affairs.

4. a classical scholar.

5. (sometimes initial capital letter ) any one of the scholars of the Renaissance who pursued and disseminated the study and understanding of the cultures of ancient Rome and Greece, and emphasized secular, individualistic, and critical thought.

If you just look at #1, he kind of has a point for we as Christians are supposed to have those concerns.......  but then again there is that #5 that most humanists i have interfaced with would use.

:thumbsup:

~

Humanists (Pagans Foolishly Believing That They Are Righteous Without The Christ)

Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. Jeremiah 17:5

Christians (Followers Humbly Believing That They Are Righteous Only With The Christ)

Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. Jeremiah 17:7

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

For much of his life my dad was a humanist and a diest, but he thought Jesus was just a good man and a good teacher. He was not a Christian until he surrendered his life and philosophies to Christ and Him Crucified, and to the wisdom of God.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  448
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

'Christians Are Humanists Who Believe in God' Says Humanist Professor Jim Al-Khalili

By Leonardo Blair , CP Reporter

October 15, 2013|5:10 pm

Theoretical physicist and president of the British Humanist Association Professor Jim Al-Khalili said Christianity had "hijacked" human values and Christians are simply "humanists who believe in God."

<snip>

"They are human values that Christians abide by and therefore they are also humanist in their attitude, they are humanists who believe in God. I don't subscribe to this idea that humanist is atheist and Christian isn't," he ended.

Full report and full quote here

The man is being kind.

Protestantism is in the process of self-destruction.   Protestant leadership teaches nothing more substantial than real estate development, personal improvement, the prosperity gospel, situational ethics, and passive indifference toward God.  In this they are proving themselves to be false teachers and wicked shepherds.   Judgement begins in the house of God and they will suffer punishment for their wickedness.

The sole purpose of a Christian is to be a disciple of Christ.   Discipleship may include service to one's fellow man, but it never embraces the philosophy that man is god (humanism).

To say that Christians are humanists who believe in God is an oxymoron.   Protestant Christians seem to be neither for they do not represent either effectively and this is why the Protestant church is dying.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

In a way Christians ARE humanists, but in another way we ARE NOT.

God made us in his image, believers and non-believers alike, so a non-believer who displays acts of good is doing so because God made him that way. That is why you will find Atheists who are loving, charitable, honest and so on......

However, we are also deeply flawed and are born into sin, therefore at some time in our lives we will commit sin (all of us). When we trust our own instincts rather than listening to God we are capable of carrying out great evil, or at the very least partaking in ungodly activities. Satan is always trying to lead us astray.

Yes, Humanism has a lot of things in common with Christianity, but salvation aside, only believing in and trusting in God will make us behave as we were originally designed to behave, and as God truly made us.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Sister neb!

I simply have to agree with Brother Joe,a big  :amen: to that, don't need to add a thing!!!!!!

With love in Christ-Kwik