flyerboy

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Jesus made this promise: “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you” (John 15:7).

There is only one part of this verse that most Christians really look at and that’s “you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.”  I myself long ago wanted to treat God as if he was some magical genie who was there to give me everything I’ve ever wanted. 

The problem with that, is there’s another part of the verse that we must notice here.

“If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you”

The Greek word for abide is Thayer’s which is a strong word and means to remain, abide or not to depart.  If we want to receive the life God calls us to have we must first remember to not depart from his ways. 

He makes us a pretty incredible offer here, but most of us choose to ignore following Jesus to focus on the desires of our flesh. 

The offer:  you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you
The terms: If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you”

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I think most promises in scripture are conditional...if not all of them.  And you are certainly right in stating that often verses with promises are quoted with the other half...or the condition...missing.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Yes,God has promised that,when we ask for things that are in accordance with His will for our lives.But we may not always like the answer.God listens to all our prayers.He may answer with "yes" or "no" or "wait,not now". Prayers is not our way of getting God to do what we want.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

OR, the answer is No, or Not Now.

Claiming that one is not abiding In Christ or His words not abiding in them is the reason to unanswered prayer, can be  a very dangerous and quite damaging claim to make.

I agree that His promises are conditonal, However, there are enough conditional promises to make one's head spin questioning themselves, their faithfulness, their walk, their goodness, their worthiness.....from here to Timbuktu.

Perhaps, even with the Word abiding in them, the answer could be no, or not now.

Edited to Add: - okay, you said 'this Could be why', not making the claim itself - apologies - obviously you hit a nerve with me.

Edited by Hindsfeet