IGNORED

Is College An Earthly Achievement?

GTC1187

Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands! Psalms 90:17 (ESV)

~

The NT says to avoid earthly achievements, and the world and the flesh are regularly frowned upon.
So, would pursuing a college degree be considered an earthly achievement?
I don't want to be worldly, but I don't want to lose mental sharpness either!

Getting your drivers license would be an "earthly achievement" then, too.

:thumbsup:

Not All Drivers Are Mentally Sharp

Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. Ephesians 2:2-3 (KJV)

Not All University Graduates Are Spiritually Alive

But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: Ephesians 2:4-6 (KJV)

~

Look

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24 (ESV)

First To The Creator Of Your Mind

Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created. Revelation 4:11 (ESV)

And Give Glory Where Glory

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalms 1:1-2 (ESV)

Is Due

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17 (ESV)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/25/1968

Is college an "EARTHLY" achievement? ABSOLUTELY! Before there were colleges, there were doctors. Before there were colleges, people built ships. Before there were colleges, there were teachers. MAN is the one who came up with the idea of colleges and universities, not God. Does this make attending them bad? ABSOLUTELY NOT! It is not "earthly" to pursue a degree as long (as others have stated before me) as the reason for going is because you are following Gods purpose for your life remembering of course that Gods purpose may only be to put you in college for a single moment, then move you out. God only promises you this single moment in time, not anything more so there is no guarantee that God will not call you to heaven or to another place or career before you finish your degree. Yes, it is ok to plan for retirement, providing for a family, etc. But just keep in mind that Gods plans are not our own, and His ways are higher than ours. Prepare yourself to be moved to a new place any moment, and be thankful when God allows you to continue your own plans.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

I think a college degree isnt considered earthly by any means. When learning and growing is a benefit as well as communication with computers are something God sees in helping us with our minds, and to help others, its a wonderful thing.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands! Psalms 90:17 (ESV)

~

The NT says to avoid earthly achievements, and the world and the flesh are regularly frowned upon.

Getting your drivers license would be an "earthly achievement" then, too.

:thumbsup:

Not All Drivers Are Mentally Sharp

Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. Ephesians 2:2-3 (KJV)

Not All University Graduates Are Spiritually Alive

But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: Ephesians 2:4-6 (KJV)

~

Look

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24 (ESV)

First To The Creator Of Your Mind

Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created. Revelation 4:11 (ESV)

And Give Glory Where Glory

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalms 1:1-2 (ESV)

Is Due

And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17 (ESV)

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think it's bad to pursue a college degree. It all depend on what you do with it. If you are using it to climb up the corporate latter and to make tons of money and that is your main focus then yes college is bad. If you are using the degree to serve The Lord and to serve others to provide for your family then college is a good thing

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Without people going to college, there would be no culture and no technology. We would not be speaking here today, because there would be no computers and no internet.

There wouldn't be millions of Bibles around the World translated into different languages because there would no translators and no printing and no fast ships or planes to distribute the Bibles.

Hitler would have murdered even more Jews than he did, because no Christian nations would have been able to defeat him, because Christians would not have gone to college and there would be no physicists, no chemists and no engineers. We would have no weapons or aircraft to fight the Nazis with.

If we did not have all this stuff, that is a bad thing?

Maybe all this stuff is the very things that take us farther from God.

We have everything we need, we are able to do for ourselves, who needs GOD?

I did not say God will not bless us in such things.

However, I do believe that we limit ourselves from our higher calling in HIM, when we pursue this world's goods and not GOD.

Sounds like you put a whole lot of limitations on God in your post.

Without all this stuff and technology, we just couldn't do anything.

My point exactly, Where does that leave GOD in our lives? We have it all already.

The more we do of our own desires, the more HE will let us do, and yes, bless us in our desires.

I believe it all comes down to the desire of a person's heart.

God bless

Unfortunately, evil people will always have this stuff, so we need to have it too. Hitler would not have stopped building tanks and U-boats just because we didn't have them!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Much love to you In Him...Jesus, My Lord...

It has been my experience so far in running this race that there are seasons...Just like a farmer prepares the land for planting...because he is expecting his labor to yield a crop...so we prepare the best way we know how...and then some of us because of the cares of this world; the lust of our flesh; the lust of our eyes; the pride of life...well we just don't prepare...and the farmer that doesn't prepare and isn't ready when it's time to plant...well he just might not have anything to eat...

This is so amazing to see because in reading this thread I can see myself, as I was, before Jesus and "in the world" and then I can see myself going through the season of "God taking me "out of the world" and totally depending on Him instead of myself...

I can just wallow in regret for not finishing college; but then again and at the same time I can Rejoice and Praise Him for Saving me...For Providing Everything I've Needed...

There are 2 more points I want to make:

Each of our paths to God and journeying through this adventure called life is different...but the finish line is the same for all of us...

and that we are to "bloom" so to speak where we are planted...

So if I have this job...whatever and wherever it is...or if I have this wonderful desire to go to college...I'm to be used of God right there...and believe me if He wants us in a different place; He will make it happen...

So many times when we are first saved it's like: Oh my...Where am I supposed to be God? Where? Where? and then He says: If you are Seeking First My Kingdom and My Righteousness. All these things will be added...I have lived those Words...In spending hours upon hours with Him in prayer and desiring His Will For My Life Above All...He has been my Greatest Teacher and has led me into what no school could teach me...but this is after years of endurance...and apparently to a girl that wasn't supposed to go to college; but I truly believe some of us are very much needed in colleges!!! When I learned that there were colleges going on in this country like over a hundred years ago!!! Wow...oh there is a lot of good that comes from them...A lot of good...Love you again In Him..

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Yes.  It is definitely a worldly achievement as I don't think they have universities in heaven.  By the time we get there, I expect we will have already graduated

I know that is not what you are asking, but it struck me as funny

Serious answer:

I don't think there is any problem with pursuing  a college degree...Paul was educated to the max and I believe God used those resources when Paul converted

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Perhaps great wisdom is needed in choosing a good college or U. I know of one private liberal arts college that has an excellent reputation, but they have a required course in humanities in which the professor announces to the class that if they are still a professing Christian by the time they finish the class, they will be not pass the class.. I know several people who are no longer serving the Lord after attending there. So caution and wisdom are needed as to choosing a good one. You might talk to Christians who have attended them recently. Some people are able to give the answers the course requires and hide their own opinions. While some people have the ability to be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves, I wouldn't be able to keep my opinions to myself. Thankfully I attended a public college and didn't face that delemma. Fourty years ago some institutions still encouraged us to think independantly. Today I would not be politically correct and would face a lot of opposition. But somebody has to do it and challange others with the truth. It is a lonely road. Some students here on Worthy have told of having a really tough time.

So you would have to be able to keep that which is good and leave the rest in the garbage. Paul was apparently familiar with the Greek religions and philosophers as well as being highly schooled in the Jewish faith. He was able to use this in reaching a variety of people of different backgrounds. He said he became a Jew when talking to the Jews and a gentile when talking to the heathen, so that some might be saved. He was also persecuted. But he knew the Lord beyond any doubt and counted knowing Him of greatest value. So a lot depends on you and how heavily you lean on the Lord.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

God wants only the best for us just as we want only the best for our children. God knows what we need and everything about us. He gives us a mind and allows us to understand. Whatever our intellecual capacity is he wants us to be the best we can be inservice to others and mostly to glorify God. Pray and ask God about a degree. While there are many earthly achievements and hoops we all have to jump through here on earth just to survive here secondary education can be of great help and may allow you to serve God with better understanding; however I do not think God made everyone for intellectual studdies and these are Gods children too. God has different plans for us all and while we are here passing through we have to jump through the earthly hoops of achievement to peaceably live in society.