Hashe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,061
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Pastors are to be leaders and caretakers of their "flocks." John 21:16-17 "Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep." (NIV)

In this exchange, Jesus was emphasizing tending the sheep in a supervisory capacity, not only feeding but ruling over them. This expresses the full scope of pastoral oversight, both in Peter’s future and in all those who would follow him in pastoral ministry. Peter follows Jesus’ example and repeats this same Greek word poimaino in his first pastoral letter to the elders of the churches of Asia Minor: “Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers” (1 Peter 5:2).

If you look into the Greek for what Jesus was asking Peter you will find that what Jesus asked is not what Peter was saying.   The words translated love there are very different....   The first two times Jesus asked him if he loved him the way God loves us and sent his son to die so that we might be reconnected to the Father.   What Peter was telling him was something like we are very good friends.....   What Jesus asked the third time was are we really good friends...    remember that not long prior to their talking Peter had denied three times that he even knew who he was.

So I would say that it wasn't that he asked him the third time, but he backed him up in the corner and asked him if they were really friends at all.

Not to be argumentative, but how does that relate to Christ's admonition to those who wish to be pastors that they are not only to teach, but to lead and protect them in their faith?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Pastors are to be leaders and caretakers of their "flocks." John 21:16-17 "Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep." (NIV)

In this exchange, Jesus was emphasizing tending the sheep in a supervisory capacity, not only feeding but ruling over them. This expresses the full scope of pastoral oversight, both in Peter’s future and in all those who would follow him in pastoral ministry. Peter follows Jesus’ example and repeats this same Greek word poimaino in his first pastoral letter to the elders of the churches of Asia Minor: “Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers” (1 Peter 5:2).

If you look into the Greek for what Jesus was asking Peter you will find that what Jesus asked is not what Peter was saying.   The words translated love there are very different....   The first two times Jesus asked him if he loved him the way God loves us and sent his son to die so that we might be reconnected to the Father.   What Peter was telling him was something like we are very good friends.....   What Jesus asked the third time was are we really good friends...    remember that not long prior to their talking Peter had denied three times that he even knew who he was.

So I would say that it wasn't that he asked him the third time, but he backed him up in the corner and asked him if they were really friends at all.

John uses synomyns in the passage to which you are referring. There is no real difference in the meaning of the words, when John writes. It is a stylistic issue. All the way through John's gospel he uses synomyns for variety. People want to make much of the Greek, but really there is no big deal there.

Blessings Hashe...

I don't know how anyone else feels about all this but I get awfully tired of the blame always pht on what one hears from the pulpit.....is it not each mans responsibility to see that the things they are being "sold" are truly what the Bible teaches......is not each person accountable for their Salvation?

I happen to be blessed to have a wonderful Pastor who tells it like it is & refers to Scripture only....but you must know there is not a time that I just take that for granted & he always encourages us to read these things for ourselves,,,,,,what we have is a very lazy generation,IMO

With love-in Christ,Kwik

I'm not sure I'm just blaming what one hears from the pulpit. I asked the question of myself, 'What Jesus am I sharing?' It is really an invitation for all to ask the question themselves and not just blame others.

John uses synomyns in the passage to which you are referring. There is no real difference in the meaning of the words, when John writes. It is a stylistic issue. All the way through John's gospel he uses synomyns for variety. People want to make much of the Greek, but really there is no big deal there.

i would beg to differ but it really isn't worth an argument over...

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,134
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Hashe....

I don't recall ever blaming "you" for blaming anyone......I addressed you specifically in response to your OP where in I do believe you said these things were said by the huffington post,or did I read it wrong?What I did say was" I do not know how anyone else feels about it" (including you) which was a question I asked also.......

If you get to know me you will find if I had meant it the way you took it I would have asked"Why are you blaming what you hear from the pulpit?"

I responded to your invitation,nothing more to it........God Bless you

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Blessings Hashe....

I don't recall ever blaming "you" for blaming anyone......I addressed you specifically in response to your OP where in I do believe you said these things were said by the huffington post,or did I read it wrong?What I did say was" I do not know how anyone else feels about it" (including you) which was a question I asked also.......

If you get to know me you will find if I had meant it the way you took it I would have asked"Why are you blaming what you hear from the pulpit?"

I responded to your invitation,nothing more to it........God Bless you

With love-in Christ,Kwik

Thanks for the clarification

My disappointment is not in God in anyway but in my own misinterpretation of a situation where I thought I missed out on or I needed something.

The flesh can be quite bratty and annoying.

Most of the time when I am disappointed in God it usually has to do with the phrase, "why did you let me do that?"

Most of the time when I am disappointed in God it usually has to do with the phrase, "why did you let me do that?"

To learn?

That's true for me anyway!