Jerry1023

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Fruitfull77, allow me to ask a question.  Do you celebrate News Year, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, your birthday or the birthdays of anyone else?  If not, do you believe that these traditional holidays reflect Satan's control over the world?

Guest shiloh357

I believe in the eyes of God,there is only one church,that is church of Jesus Christ,i may be right or wrong,iam open to correction,A preacher said that because of church doctrine and tradition of men,many christian will go to hell fire,do you guys agree with him,some christian doesn't celebrate christmas,they said Jesus was not born on 25th, and beside it is not biblical,and Christ did not ask us to celebrate His birth,I want to ask is it a must that every christian must celebrate christmas,is celebrating christmas biblical or tradition of men.some church said that it is not good for a christian to drink alcohol,why some encourage it,because the first miracle Jesus perform on earth,was turning water to wine.what do you think.

Hi Jerry,

I don't celebrate Christmas because it's not a Christian holiday. The Church swallowed up the pagan holiday of the Saturnalia. There were pagan celebrations that centered around Dec. 25 and the winter solstice the shortest day of the year. They saw this as a renewing as the days began to get longer. As more and more pagans turned to Christianity the church incorporated their holiday. Also, Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25. I believe He was born on Sept 12 3BC. 

The reason I don't celebrate Christmas is twofold, one, it's not from Scripture, and two In Deuteronomy God specifically told the Jews that they were not to worship Him the way the pagans worshiped their gods.  If you look at Christmas and the celebrations they are they way the pagans worshiped their gods. The pagans used trees, wreaths, lights, etc and all of these are found in Christmas celebrations.

Actually there is no archeological evidence of ancients employing modern Christmas traditions.  A lot of that is made up history revisionism.   Most modern Christmas traditions sprung up after the Reformation in Europe, not in ancient times. 

It's really no different than those who claim that the story of Jesus' life is actually a retelling of the story of the birth, life and death/resurrection of Horus or some other pagan god.  I have found a lot of really revisionist history and outright lies in people's attempts to tag Christianity as a pagan religion.

Before xmas was the Roman saturnalia 200 AD circa and before that was something earlier and so on.

Most of our xmas customs evolved from ancient pagan practices.-

even the prophets warned the jews to avoid  the Babylonian practices where a lot of our current customs evolved. Jer; 3;13,  circa 500-600 BC

that is complete nonsense.   Most of Christmas tradition orginated in Christian Europe, not in Babylon.

You need to look a little deeper. santa clause/jolly old nick some of those things evolved during Christian Europe but the Dec 25 birthday is about as pagan as you can get.

There are multitudes of history books and encyclopedias that explore the ancient past of xmas customs.

Tree decorating, exchanging gifts, caroling, ornaments, virgin birth, nativity scene, etc.are pagan practices going back thousands of years back before Christ.

take a look at Hislops " The Two Babylons " or the encyclopedia of religion and ethics.There are too many resources to mention.

Christmas contradicts biblical facts.

Xmas is rooted in ancient customs and religious practices that has nothing to do with Christianity and the Bible.

Easter, which is approaching soon, is another example of traditions that are not of Christian origin

Rather than follow ancient or modern mythological practices God shows us a better way of life with His sacred Holy feast days.

The choices you make will affect your destiny.

the problem is that there is no real archeology or ancient historians who mention those things.  We don't have anyone like Pliny or Tacitus, or any of the early church fathers, or anyone living in ancient times that even attests to those things.

I have discovered that a person needs to actually study ancient mythology to get a handle on what their customs really are.  There were no "Christmas" trees in ancient times.   Hislop's book has been discredited multiple times.   I'm sorry, but your arguments are not historicaly accurate.

Guest Butero

We are not worshipping holidays, so what you said Fruitful is not clear at all.  There is nothing in scripture that forbids us from celebrating birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Groundhog Day, or the other holidays that come up each year.  I got out my concordance, and looked up every scripture where the word tradition and traditions was used, and none of them have anything to do with celebrating Christmas.  It is possible for someone to celebrate all of the man-made holidays as well as God's holy days.  In addition to that, One Light is correctly applying that passage from Romans 14.  We are not required to keep the feast days. 

You have to go deeper than a concordance to find the origins of birthdays and easter, and the likes of christmas. You have to to look into ancient history, encyclopedias, bible hand books, and the Babylonian practices. we can easily lose sight  of the special meanings of God's holy days when we vary or alter  the dates and times God instituted for us to observe. these days were meant.to be kept forever and ever, they were not temporary or part of Moses law.

God said in Deut 12;32-do not add to what I command you to observe.

Your duty is to " prove all things "-the problem with many of those man made holidays is they correspond  with many pagan practices.

We are to follow God's examples.not our personal reasoning. 

Christmas and easter were not celebrated in the bible  although the OT refers to pagan customs that were adopted to those traditions we now keep with christ as the central figure.

Jesus, and the apostles kept God's feast day years after the birth of the NTChurch-it wasn;t until hundreds of years later false teaches started to amalgamate local customs with God's festivals until they were nothing like the original Holy days God ordained.

what do you have to lose when you celebrate God's Holydays? Other than eternal life.

why the adversity to it all?

One of the problems here is that I don't trust extra Biblical books about church history or pagan practices.  As Shiloh said, there has been a lot of revisionism.  You can find things that both agree with you and disagree with you.  I have no problem with anyone keeping all the feast days if they desire to.  I just have no problem with celebrating Christmas and Easter.  We don't worship idols because we reflect on the birth of Jesus and the resurrection of Jesus on a given day. 

Can you explain what you mean when you say: 

"what do you have to lose when you celebrate God's Holydays?  Other than eternal live."  Why would you lose eternal life if you celebrate God's holy days, and if you would lose eternal life, why would you celebrate them? 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

I believe in the eyes of God,there is only one church,that is church of Jesus Christ,i may be right or wrong,iam open to correction,A preacher said that because of church doctrine and tradition of men,many christian will go to hell fire,do you guys agree with him,some christian doesn't celebrate christmas,they said Jesus was not born on 25th, and beside it is not biblical,and Christ did not ask us to celebrate His birth,I want to ask is it a must that every christian must celebrate christmas,is celebrating christmas biblical or tradition of men.some church said that it is not good for a christian to drink alcohol,why some encourage it,because the first miracle Jesus perform on earth,was turning water to wine.what do you think.

Hi Jerry,

I don't celebrate Christmas because it's not a Christian holiday. The Church swallowed up the pagan holiday of the Saturnalia. There were pagan celebrations that centered around Dec. 25 and the winter solstice the shortest day of the year. They saw this as a renewing as the days began to get longer. As more and more pagans turned to Christianity the church incorporated their holiday. Also, Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25. I believe He was born on Sept 12 3BC. 

The reason I don't celebrate Christmas is twofold, one, it's not from Scripture, and two In Deuteronomy God specifically told the Jews that they were not to worship Him the way the pagans worshiped their gods.  If you look at Christmas and the celebrations they are they way the pagans worshiped their gods. The pagans used trees, wreaths, lights, etc and all of these are found in Christmas celebrations.

Actually there is no archeological evidence of ancients employing modern Christmas traditions.  A lot of that is made up history revisionism.   Most modern Christmas traditions sprung up after the Reformation in Europe, not in ancient times. 

It's really no different than those who claim that the story of Jesus' life is actually a retelling of the story of the birth, life and death/resurrection of Horus or some other pagan god.  I have found a lot of really revisionist history and outright lies in people's attempts to tag Christianity as a pagan religion.

Before xmas was the Roman saturnalia 200 AD circa and before that was something earlier and so on.

even the prophets warned the jews to avoid  the Babylonian practices where a lot of our current customs evolved. Jer; 3;13,  circa 500-600 BC

that is complete nonsense.   Most of Christmas tradition orginated in Christian Europe, not in Babylon.

You need to look a little deeper. santa clause/jolly old nick some of those things evolved during Christian Europe but the Dec 25 birthday is about as pagan as you can get.

There are multitudes of history books and encyclopedias that explore the ancient past of xmas customs.

Tree decorating, exchanging gifts, caroling, ornaments, virgin birth, nativity scene, etc.are pagan practices going back thousands of years back before Christ.

take a look at Hislops " The Two Babylons " or the encyclopedia of religion and ethics.There are too many resources to mention.

Xmas is rooted in ancient customs and religious practices that has nothing to do with Christianity and the Bible.

Easter, which is approaching soon, is another example of traditions that are not of Christian origin

Rather than follow ancient or modern mythological practices God shows us a better way of life with His sacred Holy feast days.

Are you really making the celebration of Christmas and Easter a salvation issue? Do you really believe those who celebrate Dec. 25th as Jesus birthday are risking their salvation?

Christmas is on Dec 25th. Saturnalia began on Dec. 17th. The winter solstice is on Dec. 21st. None of these dates match.  

A pagan practice involves the worship of pagan gods. Jesus is not a pagan god.

As far as the OT Holy days, those were given to the children of Israel as a sign between them and God. Not Gentiles. And not the Church. Neither Christmas nor Easter are pagan. And we are under the New Covenant, not the Mosaic covenant.

You read too much really bad information which is usually written with an agenda to justify bad theology. I would suggest reading some genuine Messianic Judaism sites to get the real information.  The UMJC has many papers written on these topics.    

So much to say and so little time.

i;m not trying to make an issue here-that's your department.

If we have prolific proof available as we do with the origins of christmas including even the catholic encyclopedias that xmas is ripe in pagan philosophy and we ignore it

so as not to upset our comfortable way of celebrating than we could be at risk of sinning willfully.

Christ was not born in the winter on or near December 25-there's Biblical proof.

When it comes to the children of Israel we find that they were made up of 12 tribes-the tribe of Judah (Jews) being only one of them.

The Israelites consisted of gentiles as well during the exodus.

When God made His covenant with the children of Israel and their descendants it included all 12 tribes.

Is it possible that some of us are part of the latter day Israelites?

Paul brought the church and its teachings and observances of God's feast days to the gentiles.

There is no mention of christmas celebrations in the New Testament.

You won't even find a religious service or feast day held to commerorate Jesus birth in the NT.

December 25th has a very dark and checkered past.

Saturnalia began on the 17th but ran for 7 days to the 24 - our christmas eve,

Dec 25 was the original celebrated winter solstice. It was changed later in history to the 21st.

businesses were closed, parties were held, gifts exchanged-sound familiar?

It is a fact that Dec 25 was the birthday for many ancient sun gods part of the winter solstice celebrations.

During the time of the Apostles and the NT church Romans celebrated the feast of the saturnalia  while the church kept the " feasts of the Lord "

The Christian history books over the centuries showed an animosity to xmas because of their relationship to sun worshiping.

Xmas was banned at one time in England and in New England.

But another popular religious holiday, Easter has an even more deceptive past.

Check out its origins. We all have the tools in our world of technology.

We are not worshipping holidays, so what you said Fruitful is not clear at all.  There is nothing in scripture that forbids us from celebrating birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Groundhog Day, or the other holidays that come up each year.  I got out my concordance, and looked up every scripture where the word tradition and traditions was used, and none of them have anything to do with celebrating Christmas.  It is possible for someone to celebrate all of the man-made holidays as well as God's holy days.  In addition to that, One Light is correctly applying that passage from Romans 14.  We are not required to keep the feast days. 

You have to go deeper than a concordance to find the origins of birthdays and easter, and the likes of christmas. You have to to look into ancient history, encyclopedias, bible hand books, and the Babylonian practices. we can easily lose sight  of the special meanings of God's holy days when we vary or alter  the dates and times God instituted for us to observe. these days were meant.to be kept forever and ever, they were not temporary or part of Moses law.

Your duty is to " prove all things "-the problem with many of those man made holidays is they correspond  with many pagan practices.

Christmas and easter were not celebrated in the bible  although the OT refers to pagan customs that were adopted to those traditions we now keep with christ as the central figure.

Jesus, and the apostles kept God's feast day years after the birth of the NTChurch-it wasn;t until hundreds of years later false teaches started to amalgamate local customs with God's festivals until they were nothing like the original Holy days God ordained.

what do you have to lose when you celebrate God's Holydays? Other than eternal life.

One of the problems here is that I don't trust extra Biblical books about church history or pagan practices.  As Shiloh said, there has been a lot of revisionism.  You can find things that both agree with you and disagree with you.  I have no problem with anyone keeping all the feast days if they desire to.  I just have no problem with celebrating Christmas and Easter.  We don't worship idols because we reflect on the birth of Jesus and the resurrection of Jesus on a given day. 

"what do you have to lose when you celebrate God's Holydays?  Other than eternal live."  Why would you lose eternal life if you celebrate God's holy days, and if you would lose eternal life, why would you celebrate them? 

That was phrased wrongly. I should have said " what do you have to lose when you fail to celebrate God's Holydays " -my mistake.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

Hi Jerry,

Some of the early Christian writers tell us how the early pagans worshiped and some of those practices are used by Christians today. Celebrating New Years, giving of gifts at the mid winter festivals, etc. 

Which early Christian writers?

Tertullian comes to mind but I could look for others.

Guest Butero

That was phrased wrongly. I should have said " what do you have to lose when you fail to celebrate God's Holydays " -my mistake.

That makes a lot more sense.  So you believe that we must keep God's holydays or we risk losing our salvation?  Based on that, can you give me a list of the holydays you believe we must keep? 

Hi Jerry,

the problem is that there is no real archeology or ancient historians who mention those things.  We don't have anyone like Pliny or Tacitus, or any of the early church fathers, or anyone living in ancient times that even attests to those things.

I have discovered that a person needs to actually study ancient mythology to get a handle on what their customs really are.  There were no "Christmas" trees in ancient times.   Hislop's book has been discredited multiple times.   I'm sorry, but your arguments are not historicaly accurate.

We trust that encyclopedias like Britannica in their " Christianity " section are from professional historians and related documents.

There are numerous reference books that contain the same findings.

Research books from using history sources provide enough information to make you think about the veracity of a subject in the least.

There are so many hundreds of books on pagan origins in the libraries that confirm the xmas subject that it is simple enough to find the traditions that are associated with them.

do you think there is a conspiracy by authors to discredit or support xmas origins or are they just producing what they have discovered from their research?

We trust that the work done by authors is documented and backed up by historical references.

Some of these below I have extracted and posted relative to this matter:

William Walsh's -The story of Santa Klaus

William Samson, A Book of Christmas

The Christmas Almanac

Tom Flynn, The Trouble With Christmas

The Christian Calendar by L>W> Cowie

Micropaedia " Christmas"

The Early Church Fathers-Origen, Clement of Alexandria, Epiphanius

Robert Myers- Celebrations : The Complete Book of American Holidays

there is so much out there and that's not including the thousands of sources on the internet

somebody out there might just have something right.

what was discredited in Hislop's book? and by who?

Edited by fruitfull77

That makes a lot more sense.  So you believe that we must keep God's holydays or we risk losing our salvation?  Based on that, can you give me a list of the holydays you believe we must keep? 

Well based on the Bible, besides the weekly Sabbath, God gave us annual festivals- Lev 23

The Passover

Feast of Unleavened Bread

The Feast of Pentecost

The Feast of Trumpets

The Day of Atonement

The Feast of Tabernacles

The Last Great Day

These are the ones God commanded us to keep

These are the ones that I follow now.

Hi Jerry,

Would you say  Jeremiah 10: 1-4 is describing anything close to our christmas tree of today-this was written back in the late 500's BC