IGNORED

Federal Minimum Wage

ted

Guest Thomas I believe
All I can say is RAISE IT! A single mother cannot work for minium wage and pay rent and regular bills much less insurance on a car and for the kids. It is crazy!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly my point too ! We have to do something to help people out. If they cannot earn a decent wage that increases costs in other programs to supplement these familys. Driving familys into deeper poverty by not raising the minimum wage significantly is truly a sad thing. We are the richest country in the world, why cant we do something significant to help our own people !!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Raise it to $10,000 an hour, so everybody can be rich and happy!

Last rebel soldier,

You seem to be speaking of a laissez faire capitalist system. Laissez faire capitalism is an economy that, in its truest form, is both compassionate and benevolent that never goes out of its way to bring harm or shame to those on the receiving end. As a matter of fact in its truest form also, is not intimidated by competition but welcomes and encourages any individual who would like to participate in an economy that lifts one and all. Laissez faire, an economy with noninterference.

Today we live under a mixed economy that not only fears competition but rewards those who have no conscience as to what happens in the lives of people that have been loyal hard working men and women. As long as you have a mixed economy you will have hoards of average and poor men always clamouring for an increase that will never suffice.

As you mentioned in your post, I also agree that this evil thing called the "minimum wage" should be abolished so that a healthy competition would ensue, while at the same time improving products and services. I can understand just why an unlearned individual would insist on an increase, it sounds rational and just. However it takes on the opposite effect. You know and I know that a company that operates under and with a mixed economy will see to it that it does not lose, but gains at the expense of others.

the last rebel soldier, you are speaking my language!

quasar :emot-hug::wub:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

No matter what happens, if the minimum wage is increased, or remains the same, the working poor will still lose out. Increase minimum wage and companies will either move or have fewer workers to do more. Don't increase minimum wage and more workers will be making less money. My only question is how come someone working for so many years can only make minimum wage? I have always thought that if you work for a company for so many years, one should be making more than minimum wage or able to learn skills that will allow one to move into positions to earn more money? Maybe I haven't seen the big picture or I haven't really understood what has or is happening in today's economy. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,262
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Just basic economics, very basic and yet you cannot get the share the wealth folks to even listen.

Income is relative, let say the guy that gets $26.00 per hour to stand in one place and tighten the same 8 bolts every 2 minutes on the GM assembly line instead made $10.00, but the rent he paid would be 1/3 of what he pays now and the end product a Chevy sedan would cost $8,000.00 instead of $28,000.00, who has gained anything there except the union bosses by increasing the dues base?  Answer....no one else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bankers.......

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

And the lawyers that set the whole thing up. :emot-hug:

t.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  335
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/27/1975

The minimum wage puts people out of work as well. Look at it this way. If you are a small business owner and you employ 6 people at $5.00 an hour because that is what you can afford and then the government comes along and raises the minimum wage to $7.00 an hour, you are going to have to lay two people off.

Minimum wage laws are contrary to a free market.

Not to mention the Fed is a corrupt instituion that serves no legitimate purpose.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

if they raise the minimum wage, they will also be raising prices right along with it.

problem with that is, when they raise the prices, they are raised higher then the wages go up.

kind of like lets say, giving the military a 2 % pay raise, and prices go up on the average of 3.5 %. that means that they are actually taking a 1.5 % pay cut.

if they raise the minimum, that means those that i have working for me, will be taking a pay cut. I pay above minimum, but if they raise it, they will be working for closer to minimum then they currently are. ( for starting pay )

it is hard enough to make ends meet now, just think what it will be if they raise the minimum wage and then the prices to go with it.

mike

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

here is something to think about..............

if all the money in the world, and all the belongings ( all material items ) was gathered up into one single distribution center. and everyone lined up and was given exactly the same amount of money and items ( monitary value for items )

everyone would be equal....

equal that is for only a short number of years, after which, about 95 % of all the wealth would be right back in the same pockets it is currently in now, and those with will have, and those without will have not......

mike

the minimum wage was/is designed for entry level jobs only....If it keeps going up there will be no entry level jobs available.

Anyone stuck at an entry level needs to;

1) stay there until they get a raise

2) find another job that has the possibility of upper mobility

3) Learn a different trade by going in at an entry level

As a former owner of a small business I can tell you that there was no way I could keep good employees at an entry level compensation....and at $8 an hour I'd probably have to hire someone with experience instead of training them.

It is the kids and unemployed who suffer most when the minimum wage goes up. It is the labor unions who gain the most because their pay rates are linked to the minimum wage scale.

In other words...it's a communist conspiracy!!! :emot-hug: