Peteeeer

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

And THIS coming from a guy who judges people who buy lottery tickets and assumes they are lazy lovers of money.  (Did you really not see that coming?) ;)

Wrong.  I never judged anyone for buying lottery tickets, not one time.  I said that I believe gambling is a sin.  I did not condemn anyone for participating.  You need to be a little more honest.

Well you have a lot to learn about why people buy lotto tickets and it isn't all about the love of money.  And yes it does come off as judging as evident by how you came off to a number of people in the thread you posted about it.  So the hypocrisy is in your camp.

Wait...that sounds :huh:

;)

Guest shiloh357

And THIS coming from a guy who judges people who buy lottery tickets and assumes they are lazy lovers of money.  (Did you really not see that coming?) ;)

Wrong.  I never judged anyone for buying lottery tickets, not one time.  I said that I believe gambling is a sin.  I did not condemn anyone for participating.  You need to be a little more honest.

Well you have a lot to learn about why people buy lotto tickets and it isn't all about the love of money.  And yes it does come off as judging as evident by how you came off to a number of people in the thread you posted about it.  So the hypocrisy is in your camp.

;)

Yeah, they were mad because I said what they were doing was a sin.  I didn't condemn them, I condemned the sin, but when you want to justify your sin, the easiest thing to do is demonize the person calling a sin what it is . Homosexuals do it all the time.  But no, I didn't judge anyone at all.  No hypocrisy on my part at all.   It was just more honest that you  and others are willing to face up to.

;)

Yeah, they were mad because I said what they were doing was a sin.  I didn't condemn them, I condemned the sin, but when you want to justify your sin, the easiest thing to do is demonize the person calling a sin what it is . Homosexuals do it all the time.  But no, I didn't judge anyone at all.  No hypocrisy on my part at all.   It was just more honest that you  and others are willing to face up to.

I was just holding up a mirror, Shiloh. 

Guest shiloh357

I know that was what you were trying to do. But I  didn't judge anyone for gambling so you really didn't accomplish anything by that.  Kind of pointless and rather dishonest.

I know that was what you were trying to do. But I  didn't judge anyone for gambling so you really didn't accomplish anything by that.  Kind of pointless and rather dishonest.

So was your accusation against Peter.  Pointless and dishonest.

Guest shiloh357

No, it wasn't.  A lot of people saw what I saw and called him on it too.   But I am not going to sit around and ride this merry go round with you.  If you have something important to post, the fine.  If not, fine.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You know it's fiction, right?  As in 'not true'.  Like most fiction, there's a deeper meaning below the surface.

But the worldview in which they couch the story is based on humanism.  it's a lesson in humanism in the form of entertainment.  That is especially true with Star Trek TNG.

I didn't disagree that all of creation was intended to reveal His Glory.    However, trees have other purposes, like turning Carbon Dioxide into Oxygen.  Oxygen's purpose (one of many) is to sustain us.  Dirt supports the trees and other vegetation, which feeds the animals...need I go on?

But all of that serves the purpose of glorifying God by revealing the mind and the power and the genius of an all-knowing Creator.  All of the universe was designed to glorify God.  It has no other purpose.  The chief end of everything God made it glorify Him and it does so in being exactly what He created it to be and doing what He created it to do.  It's not the case that they glorify God and also do "x, y, z."   They glorify God as they do those things. 

I thought you said you went to a Bible college.  You should have known that.

Bible verses or it didn't happen. :D

Otherwise it's purely speculation.  But, you know what, there is nothing wrong with a little speculation. :)

IMHO, I think God had both possibilities planned for in this creation.  As in, creation as it was in the beginning was good for both scenarios.

I am not speculating.  You clearly are not theologically equipped to understand what I am talking about.  I am talking about the sovereignty and foreknowledge of God.  God created a planet perfectly suited to us.   How is that something I need to defend to a Christian??? 

How could God have two possibilities planned???  That is inconsistent with the fact that God is all-knowing. He knows the future because He is the architect of it.  He knew the future and He made the earth commiserate with that future.  God doesn't need two plans.   I guess that Bible college was rather weak on theology.

I think some of your comments are a little rude and condescending. Just sayin'.

Yeah, this coming from the guy who judges fat people and assumes they are gluttons.  I was simply being honest about the poor theology expressed by Sheniy.

'I was simply being honest that MANY (not all) over-weight Christians are gluttons'. You don't get fat from eating little. I don't judge them. It just seems to me that a lot of Christians seem to think that being overweight is OK, and don't really try to do anything about it. Then when you have an overweight person telling you that alcohol is inherently evil and they come across as some self-righteous goody two shoes Christian who never does anything wrong, it just makes me think about what the Bible says about gluttony and to me, it seems very hypocritical.

Well you have a lot to learn about what makes people overweight and it isn't all about food.  And yes it does come off as judging as evident by how you came off to a number of people in the thread you started about it.  So the hypocrisy is in your camp.

Sorry to be 'over-precise'  but of course it is all about food. If one starved, will they still be fat? No. Why not? I don't even know why we are talking about those who are over-weight because of some medical condition, because they are rare. I am talking about those who are normal, but overeat. It has been shown time and time again that if you just eat less food, you will lose weight. We need to exercise that principle more. 

so do you think fat people are going to hell?   How fat does one have to be to go to hell?     ten pounds.....   20   or 50.    What if a person is very comfortable being 30 pounds over weight...   I had two uncles live into the mid 80's that were 30 to 50 pounds over weight.....   didn't stop them from working or enjoying life; both were strong moral Christians who helped others....   the things that we are supposed to do.....    so  what is the sin there....       I have acquaintances over the years that died in their late fifties to early 60's who were runners and didn't have an ounce of fat on them.....  died from aneurisms where their healthy hearts just blew their plumbing apart...

My favorite aunt had a cholesterol level over 350 and was nearly skinny all her life.....   died about the same age....   mid 80's.

Calling a fat person a sinner is way way beyond anything we are authorized to do by the word.

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/01/1992

I think I need to mention that I do NOT think that being fat is a sin. I also do not hate fat people. It makes no difference to me how big someone is, other than I would try to help them. I have very good friends who are fat. 

The reason I posted the post:

I was talking about those who have beliefs that are not stated explicitly in the Bible (such as complete abstinence from alcohol for everyone no matter what) but then don't follow principles that ARE stated explicitly in the Bible such as gluttony. I see this very often. Sorry if I offended anyone!

Edited by Peteeeer

Guest shiloh357

I think I need to mention that I do NOT think that being fat is a sin. I also do not hate fat people. It makes no difference to me how big someone is, other than I would try to help them. I have very good friends who are fat. 

The reason I posted this post:

I was talking about those who have beliefs that are not stated explicitly in the Bible (such as complete abstinence from alcohol for everyone no matter what) but then don't follow principles that ARE stated explicitly in the Bible such as gluttony. I see this very often. Sorry if I offended anyone!

It's interesting because I have only been a member of theologically conservative evangelical, "Bible Belt" churches all my life and I have never heard once, anyone judge people for drinking a glass of wine or having a social drink.  I have never heard anyone claim that drinking a glass of champagne is a sin.   So I think you are really projecting something on to others just to have something to complain about.

No, it wasn't.  A lot of people saw what I saw and called him on it too.   But I am not going to sit around and ride this merry go round with you.  If you have something important to post, the fine.  If not, fine.

Maybe he misunderstood those who are overweight and made false assumptions.  But so did you about those who play slot machines and buy lotto tickets.  A lot of people saw what I saw and called you on it, too (mirror again).

'Tis the same thing.

I am saying this as someone who doesn't touch slot machines or lotto tickets, but really loves food.   ;)