anup007100

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  253
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I smoked for six years before I came to faith and for four years after I came to faith.

And then finally quit in on 1/1/10

I've never felt better, and I'm not going back.

That's exactly what it is, your body is a vessel and a temple of holiness.

Cigarettes and the Holy Spirit don't mix.

You will eventually be convicted to throw cigarettes out,

and you will wonder why it took you so long.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Is smoking tobacco a sin?

I used to smoke once or atmost twice an year.

I'm not addicted to it.

Am I committing a sin

Where have you read in the bible that smoking is a sin?  

Guest Butero

Most of us that believe smoking is a sin, base it on these verses.

Know ye not that yea are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?  If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.  1 Corinthians 3:16,17

We believe that intentionally inhaling smoke into our lungs, knowing it is deadly, and that our lungs were not created for that purpose, defiles our spiritual temple.  Those who don't see smoking as a sin will say that you can only defile the temple through immoral activity, such as fornication.  It is not something that will ever be proven one way or the other to everyone's satisfaction, which is why this question comes up time and again.  Also, you find a lot of people that smoked before they got saved get convicted afterward and quit, and they will say God showed them they were in sin.  You are dealing with personal convictions of people in conjunction with this scripture. 

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

How can it defile you?  It's unhealthy, yes.  But then eating pretty much anything not made from scratch is sin since everything has pesticides / preservatives in it which also hurt the body.  If smoking is a sin then so is eating pizza, and eating ice cream.  

Guest Butero

I completely disagree.  Your body was created to eat food.  It was not created to inhale smoke into your lungs.  In addition to that, I haven't seen any studies that show that eating things with preservatives is doing harm to you like the studies show what cigarette smoke does.  I have heard wild claims about this food being harmful and that food being harmful, and then hear the findings reversed a few years later.  Also, people are living longer than ever before while eating those foods.  I don't buy into any of that, but few can seriously say cigarette smoke doesn't significantly increase your chances of getting lung cancer or emphysema.  I do believe smoking defiles your temple. 

Guest Jesse

Anup.

All in moderation.(stay in control) Do not judge by what people eat or drink or by a new moon.

A person with cancer or tb can be in the truth.

The Holy Spirit is a spirit; not flesh. It is the spirit of Christ in man that counts. 

Some churches like to show themselves as holy and clean, by not drinking and smoking etc.

This is because they dont have the spirittual, only rituals and  much noice.

The cup looks clean on the outside, but filthy on the inside..

Guest Jesse

Wildstar.

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

The flesh is flesh; it will turn to dust.

It is the spirit that counts. A christian should be spiritually clean.

Many like to show them selves as good christians by not drinking,  eating or smoking.

This is all just empty show. A true christian should walk in the spirit of Christ.

Christ drank wine and He loved it.

Food and drink will not stop anyone from getting everlasting life.

Walk in christ. How?   read John6:38--58.

Eat that spirit that is in those words.

• 3 weeks later...

Just peeking in again, who could have know that 205 posts could be here, for a question that could have been answered theoretically, with one word?

Just peeking in again, who could have know that 205 posts could be here, for a question that could have been answered theoretically, with one word?

:thumbsup:

Grace~!

Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Romans 3:24-28

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/09/1941

Just because no passage in the bible out rightly condemed tobaco or smoking;does that mean smoking is good? James 4:17 says"Anyone then,who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it,sins.(NIV) A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough. Galatians 5:9"

Smoking is one of those "sins" that are not directly mentioned in the Bible, but fit a paradigm of self-destructive behaviors like over-eating, obesity,  ingesting soda pop, snorting cocaine, and other kinds of things we do that are not healthy.

hi

but what about love our brothers who do not smoke ? and our children and wives,? and the rest of the family ;of cause if everyone smokes this would be a disaster (financially )