• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  127
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1934

If we could be without sin why would Jesus have us pray the "Father's prayer"? Is this prayer just designed for infant born christians? I mean if it were possible to not sin we wouldn't need to pray for our sins to be forgiven.

Matthew 6:9-13

New International Version (NIV)

“This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

10 your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us today our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]

but deliver us from the evil one.[b]

If your understanding of why Jesus had the disciples pray the Our Father, is right then the written Word of God would be contradicting its self.  My answer to your question is, because the disciples had not yet received the Holy Spirit, and were still at the mercy of Satan.  Jesus knew they would continue to sin until they received the Holy Spirit.  Peter proved that to be true.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

I been a christian for almost 20yrs. I still fall and sin. I still say sorry to God and still do same thing. I try not to sin, but I don't mean it, and I'm not perfect.

Way to go tigger! Don't let anyone tell you you are not a sinner. Of course you are! We all are!

The bible is full of verses telling us that, and telling us how we should avoid sin.  

Paul told us how the Holy Spirit makes it so we no longer sin.

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

If one listens to the Holy Spirit and obeys, he or she will never sin again.  If one sins he or she are of the devil, and does not have any relationship with Jesus.

(1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”

(1 John 3:9-10) “No one who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.  In this way we distinguish the children of God from the children of the devil: anybody not living a holy life and not loving his brother is no child of God’s.”  

(1 John 3:8) “Whoever lives sinfully belongs to the devil, since the devil has been a sinner from the beginning. This was the purpose of the appearing of the Son of God, to undo the work of the devil.

So you believe the bible contradicts its self, is that right?  Or do you believe Paul, and John just got it all wrong?  John says one who sins is of the devil, do you believe one can be of the devil, and God at the same time?

You are mishandling the Scriptures and teaching false doctrine.  The truth is not in you.

I John 3:8-10 doesn't say that a person born again never commits another sin.  The original Greek says that a person who is born of God doesn't live in habitual sin.  It doesn't say that a Christian will not commit another sin.

You are the one getting it wrong and no genuine follower of Jesus should believe as you believe.

Yes sinners need to find a different translation of the written Word to let themselves believe the lies Satan has sinner’s believing.

By the way has your translation changed all the verses where John tells us a spiritual Christian does not sin?  How about the following verse?

(1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”

How about where Paul tells us Christians are dead to sin?  Did Paul say dead to practicing sin?

(Romans 6:11) “In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus”

Get real and stop believing Satan’s lies.  A Christian walks as Jesus walked, and Jesus did not

sin,

(1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did”

before Jesus came to earth not one of the millions of men lived sinless lives.

thats why he came he knew we could not.

now that he has came to be our salvation we still can not live sinless

it is not in the nature of man to be sinless

Jesus is our only hope for salvation we must try to put away sin, yes

but to be perfect humans, I think not

You are believing a lie that is from Satan.  If you believe any scripture that you believe says a spiritual Christian continues to sin, then you are contradicting the written Word of God.

I know the Bible tells us that there was only one Man who did not sin.........and that  is Jesus.

1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Guest shiloh357

I been a christian for almost 20yrs. I still fall and sin. I still say sorry to God and still do same thing. I try not to sin, but I don't mean it, and I'm not perfect.

Way to go tigger! Don't let anyone tell you you are not a sinner. Of course you are! We all are!

The bible is full of verses telling us that, and telling us how we should avoid sin.  

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

If one listens to the Holy Spirit and obeys, he or she will never sin again.  If one sins he or she are of the devil, and does not have any relationship with Jesus.

(1 John 3:9-10) “No one who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.  In this way we distinguish the children of God from the children of the devil: anybody not living a holy life and not loving his brother is no child of God’s.”  

(1 John 3:8) “Whoever lives sinfully belongs to the devil, since the devil has been a sinner from the beginning. This was the purpose of the appearing of the Son of God, to undo the work of the devil.

So you believe the bible contradicts its self, is that right?  Or do you believe Paul, and John just got it all wrong?  John says one who sins is of the devil, do you believe one can be of the devil, and God at the same time?

You are mishandling the Scriptures and teaching false doctrine.  The truth is not in you.

I John 3:8-10 doesn't say that a person born again never commits another sin.  The original Greek says that a person who is born of God doesn't live in habitual sin.  It doesn't say that a Christian will not commit another sin.

You are the one getting it wrong and no genuine follower of Jesus should believe as you believe.

Yes sinners need to find a different translation of the written Word to let themselves believe the lies Satan has sinner’s believing.

By the way has your translation changed all the verses where John tells us a spiritual Christian does not sin?  How about the following verse?

I was not talking about a translation.  I was talking about the original Greek.  The language John wrote in.

How about where Paul tells us Christians are dead to sin?  Did Paul say dead to practicing sin?

It's the same thing as before.  IN the original Greek what John said was that anyone who abides in Him continues to live in habitual sin.  It doesn't say in the Greek that those who abide in Jesus never commit a single sin the rest of their lives.

Paul didn't say we are dead to sin.  He said to "reckon yourselves dead to sin (Rom. 6:11)  We are not to live  in sin.  That means we are not practice or make a habit of sin.  It doesn't mean that we won't occasionally stumble.   The original Greek in even Romans 6:1 refers to the practice of habitual sin, not the act of committing a single sin.

The notion that are expected to live without committing a single sin isn't in the Bible.  You are simply teaching a grossly false doctrine.

(1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did”

That verse is not calling us to walk as sinless as Jesus did.  It is calling us to walk in the same redemptive love that Jesus walked in.  It is a summary commandment meaning that it is calling us to live our lives in  a way that generally reflects the character of Christ.

I was not talking about a translation.  I was talking about the original Greek.  The language John wrote in.

It's the same thing as before.  IN the original Greek what John said was that anyone who abides in Him continues to live in habitual sin.  It doesn't say in the Greek that those who abide in Jesus never commit a single sin the rest of their lives.

Paul didn't say we are dead to sin.  He said to "reckon yourselves dead to sin (Rom. 6:11)  We are not to live  in sin.  That means we are not practice or make a habit of sin.  It doesn't mean that we won't occasionally stumble.   The original Greek in even Romans 6:1 refers to the practice of habitual sin, not the act of committing a single sin.

The notion that are expected to live without committing a single sin isn't in the Bible.  You are simply teaching a grossly false doctrine.

That verse is not calling us to walk as sinless as Jesus did.  It is calling us to walk in the same redemptive love that Jesus walked in.  It is a summary commandment meaning that it is calling us to live our lives in  a way that generally reflects the character of Christ.

This post is all you can say in the defense of your opinion?  Scripture does not seem to have any value to you at all.  You go on you blind walk, because you can't see there is no way to bring you to the truth.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

If we could be without sin why would Jesus have us pray the "Father's prayer"? Is this prayer just designed for infant born christians? I mean if it were possible to not sin we wouldn't need to pray for our sins to be forgiven.

Matthew 6:9-13

New International Version (NIV)

“This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be your name,

10 your kingdom come,

your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

11 Give us today our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]

but deliver us from the evil one.[b]

If your understanding of why Jesus had the disciples pray the Our Father, is right then the written Word of God would be contradicting its self.  My answer to your question is, because the disciples had not yet received the Holy Spirit, and were still at the mercy of Satan.  Jesus knew they would continue to sin until they received the Holy Spirit.  Peter proved that to be true.  

You don't think this prayer was to be used as a model for us ALL to pray? It's not just for the disciples, it's how we should pray Jesus was setting the example.  The disciples had JESUS with them at the time he would be enough protection, the Holy Ghost came to guide us and help us since Jesus can not be here with us physically so he sent a helper.  Were still at battle with Satan but because of Jesus we can overcome the Devil through faith and prayer. I wonder what do your prayers consist of John?  Do you have no sins? If were honest with ourselves we can admit we all fall short by what we say, think, or even in action.  And you even ignore with Paul said how he struggles, is he not filled with the Holy Ghost?

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.

11Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Do you never ever sin John? I mean never? Not a bad thought or hurtful comment said? Ever?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them.  There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies.  Anyone who disregards the Law of Moses is ruthlessly put to death on the word of two witnesses or three; and you may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who treats the blood of the covenant which sanctified him as if it were not holy, and who insults the Spirit of grace, will be condemned to a far severer punishment.  We are all aware who it was that said: Vengeance is mine; I will vindicate his people.  It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

Hello again John,

It appears you have a penchant for quoting rather ominous sounding Scripture verses without much motivation in trying to understand the text in context. Remember a text without a context is merely a pretext. The conclusion you are postulating is that once we receive the Holy Spirit it is impossible for us to sin. But then you also seem to contradict yourself by stating if you do sin then you can no longer receive any repentance or grace from the Lord. So my first question to you is:

1. Do I have your postulate correct?

If indeed that is your postulate then I have a few more questions to ask. Here goes:

2. Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God? And if so

3. Do you believe the Bible does NOT contradict itself? And if so

4. Why are you only looking at the verses that support your postulate and not any others that clearly mention sin and Christians, confession and restoration? As in the following examples already provided to you:

My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin.

And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. -1John 2:1

I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth. 1John 2:21

5. Since we know John was writing to Christians, "those who knew the truth" and the knowledge of the Savior and that he is writing so that we may NOT sin but also to tell us if we do we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ who has bought us by His own blood; then why bother to tell us that if we can have no restoration if we do, through either ignorance or weakness or lack of faith, sin?

6. Paul states that everything that is not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23b) Do you agree? If so

7. Consider that he instructs Pastor Timothy as an elder by stating.

If we are faithless,

He remains faithful;

He cannot deny Himself.

2Timothy 2:13

Therefore if we are faithless we sin but yet God doesn't reject us for Paul says He cannot deny Himself if we but confess Him. How would you exegete that John?

Note: Notice I added confession - that is to proclaim our faith in Him even if we do fail Him. And I have but I've also stood up in the Holy Spirit and felt His strength flowing through me against all odds. But I can testify that He has also picked e off the ground, dusted me off, and encouraged me to walk with Him in faith over and over and over again.

If we endure,

We shall also reign with Him.

If we deny Him,

He also will deny us."

2Timothy 2:12

7. Is hypocrisy a sin? It certainly isn't something we do in faith - in fact the word hypocrite itself was a word used to describe the Greek actors in the theatres of the day. It means not being real; such as judging others of sin when you are sinning yourself. You tell me if you consider Paul and Barnabas to have been in sin here and, if so, does that mean they were done with Christ?

Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed; for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision. And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy.

Gal 2:11-13

There's so much more to look at that God can reveal to us John but here's my last one for now

"Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.

Revelation 2:20-22

So question 8 is

8. Here is a pretty despicable woman leading the church astray with regard to doctrine and sexual immorality. Yet Jesus "gave her time to repent" and leaves the door open for those who followed her despicable practices to also repent? How does that square with your postulate John?

Now to address Hebrews 10:26

Compare this to the following verses, Hebrews 6:1-6

The Peril of Not Progressing

Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this we will do if God permits. For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

He is of course talking about apostasy of denying Christ and then going back through repentance baptism, etc - not possible. Remember we already discussed that Paul also spoke of the consequences of denying Christ

If we endure,

We shall also reign with Him.

If we deny Him,

He also will deny us."

2Timothy 2:12

He wasn't speaking on his own accord for Jesus also said:

“But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.

Mat 10:33

a. The warning in Hebrews 10:26 is also targeted towards apostasy. If there be a falling away in the Christian communion, apostasy may ensue.

The rest is better left to Bible commentators:

"if we sin" --Greek present participle: if we be found sinning, that is, not just an isolated act, but a state of sin. A violation not only of the law, but of the whole economy of the New Testament ( Hebrews 10:28, 29.

willfully--presumptuously, Greek "willingly." After receiving "full knowledge of the truth," by having been "enlightened," and by having "tasted" the sweet grace of "the Holy Ghost" (Hebrews 10:29 ): to fall away into "Apostasy"(which is the reference to "sin". It is not a sin of ignorance, or error but a deliberate sinning against the Spirit .

Perhaps this thread should be under doctrinal issues instead of here.

In Christ, Pat

Do you never ever sin John? I mean never? Not a bad thought or hurtful comment said? Ever?

NO! The Holy Spirit will always warn me if there is any danger.  There is nothing in this world that could ever entice me to ever disobey my Lord and God.  I gave my life to Jesus, and do everything he tells me to do.  The Holy Spirit has given me the grace to obey God, and has taught me to live the whole Word of God.

God has made a home in me, and there is no sin in God's home.

(John 14:21-23) “Whoever holds to my commandments and keeps them is the one who loves me; and whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I shall love him and reveal myself to him.' Judas –not Judas Iscariot – said to him, ‘Lord, what has happened that you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?  Jesus replied: Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

NO! The Holy Spirit will always warn me if there is any danger.  There is nothing in this world that could ever entice me to ever disobey my Lord and God.  I gave my life to Jesus, and do everything he tells me to do.  The Holy Spirit has given me the grace to obey God, and has taught me to live the whole Word of God.

God has made a home in me, and there is no sin in God's home.

(John 14:21-23) “Whoever holds to my commandments and keeps them is the one who loves me; and whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I shall love him and reveal myself to him.' Judas –not Judas Iscariot – said to him, ‘Lord, what has happened that you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?  Jesus replied: Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

Well I have to say John, you are the first Christian in my life that I have heard of who never makes a mistake in their walk with Christ. God is always teaching and correcting me. I guess you are they only saved one here and the rest of us are poor sinners.

Guest shiloh357

This post is all you can say in the defense of your opinion?  Scripture does not seem to have any value to you at all.  You go on you blind walk, because you can't see there is no way to bring you to the truth.

Actually John, Scripture has a lot of value to me.   The problem  I have isn't with what the Scripture says.  My problem is with the way you twist Scripture to support the lie that you don't sin.

When you claim not to sin, you are lying and you call God a liar.   Since you are so fond of quoting I John here is what John also says, which you ignore in order to lie:

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

(1Jn 1:8-10)

According to John the truth is not in you and you are living in deception.  What's worse is that you are calling God a liar and His word is not in you.   You are sinning by claiming that you don't sin.   By your standard you are not born of God.