Sign in to follow this  
Trinitron

What's So Heretical About Preterism?

2 hours ago, Willa said:

Preterism has produced shameful fruit of bigotry and hatred of Jews.  The fallacy that Revelation is typifying  Rome as the new Jerusalem is laughable.  While the Revelation does contain imagery, it should be interpreted as literally as possible.  The reason the pope thinks he is god on earth and reigning in the New Jerusalem is due to Augustine's dreaming up this philosophy in The City of God.  The Revelation says it reveals Jesus Christ, not Jerusalem or the pope.  Nor does it teach we should hate the Jews.  Instead Romans warns against becoming arrogant toward them.  

Jesus said we would know them by their fruit, and that goes for doctrine as well.  If a doctrine produces bad fruit, it is a bad doctrine.  A good tree cannot produce bad fruit.

Jesus said we would know them by their fruit

Colossians 3:8 But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and  abusive speech from your mouth. NASU

Jesus said we would know them by their fruit is sums up in nine  attributes of a person or community living in accord with the Holy Spirit, according to chapter 5 of the Epistle to the Galatians: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. .

On 6/27/2014 at 8:51 PM, Trinitron said:

There are 10,000 different variations of Christianity.  Most are welcomed here no problem, even some stuff that is weird by my standards.  Once the Preterist view is brought up, for one it gets erased in my experience.  Would someone care to enlighten me how this view cannot coincide with being an acceptable Christian?

One person's belief is someone else's heresy. I like to be careful with that word "heresy." If someone's belief contradicts one of the Lord's commandments, that would qualify as heresy, in my mind, but people have different ways of looking at things, and it seems best to me they use the word "heresy" sparingly.

Sign in to follow this