• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

There is also the more subtle approach - saying that you are backslidden if you don`t go to `church.` By `church` they are meaning the public meeting run by an organisation, whereas the true `Church,` is the Body of Christ. We gather together in many ways, 2 or 3, prayer & fellowship etc & all the more as we see the Day approaching.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I can't think of a single instance where a protestant minister ever said you have to be part of his denomination to be saved.  If there are any big named preachers teaching that, I would like to know who they are? 

A lot of the Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ churches teach only their members are truly saved ;)

To read what the pope really said you would have had to click the link above that says this: Pope's Entire Message on June 25, 2014

I did and I read the entire thing. He wasn't speaking harsh nor hateful. He simply said what he had to say as the leader of the Catholic church. How many times do Protestant preachers of various denominations say you must be part of their denomination to be saved? I've heard more say this than I care to count. I won't mention any examples because I know I'll ruffle someone's feathers if I do. Next time read what he pope actually said. That's all.

Exactly Re: as the leader of the RCC (Roman Catholic Church) the Pope said what he had to say.

It has long been RCC tradition and teaching that one must be a part of the RCC to be part of "the Church". When the Pope uses the term "the Church" he means the RCC. That said doctrinally this teaching is Biblically speaking false.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is also the more subtle approach - saying that you are backslidden if you don`t go to `church.` By `church` they are meaning the public meeting run by an organisation, whereas the true `Church,` is the Body of Christ. We gather together in many ways, 2 or 3, prayer & fellowship etc & all the more as we see the Day approaching.

This is also an interesting side note from this discussion which invariably arises. And not just among Protestants but Orthodox and Catholics as well. This idea that Christians can be islands. The Greek Word for "Church" is "Ecclesia" which literally means "assembly" specifically called for a purpose.

I'd rather propose the Church is run by the Holy Spirit. :thumbsup:

The Apostles often refer to Believers as the Body of Christ. Paul spoke about it often. How effective is a hand by itself? Will a hand see or talk? Can a hand walk or listen?

We were made to live in community. Male and female he made us. He made us to love, challenge, encourage, and live with one another. Why would it be different in our Spiritual lives?

See

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

What is he scared of, that he has to make such an impassioned and unscriptural defense? Is he losing members to the truth?

I believe this Pope is a whole new ball game.  His goals will become clear; they are already clear to me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,182
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Thanks Golden Eagle for that link, very true.

Only the Holy Spirit can set, place each member in the Body as He wills. (1 Cor. 12: 18) What an encouragement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Golden Eagle for that link, very true.

Only the Holy Spirit can set, place each member in the Body as He wills. (1 Cor. 12: 18) What an encouragement.

True! :)

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting statements by the pope...as John Paul 2 is quoted in Dec 1984 in the LA Times..."don't go to God to forgive sins, come to me"..the popes before and after him have said basically the same thing..the Roman church is the only way to salvation...here is a good article on the subject and the quotes of the popes ..    http://christianitybeliefs.org/end-times-deceptions/the-antichrist-is-hidden-in-plain-sight/

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  244
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

In fairness to this subject, the pope speaks from his seat within the Latin rite church located in Rome. He does not speak for nor to any Christian but those affiliated with that particular entity. 

What's to worry ? It isn't a surprise that he's speaking to the parishes he oversees. That's his job. 

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

54 minutes ago, KittyBubbleFlowers said:

In fairness to this subject, the pope speaks from his seat within the Latin rite church located in Rome. He does not speak for nor to any Christian but those affiliated with that particular entity. 

What's to worry ? It isn't a surprise that he's speaking to the parishes he oversees. That's his job. 

He is also speaking to the protestant christian leaders such as Copeland, Warren, Van Impe, Robison, etc who flocked to Rome at the beckoning of the pope...He is also gathering together all religious stripes for the one world religion, even though they do not follow/believe in Jesus.. http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/57367-the-one-world-religion-cometh-pope-francis-warmly-welcomes-top-islamic-cleric-to-the-vatican. https://ivarfjeld.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/pontif.jpg https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=pope+kisses+the+koran&biw=1093&bih=520&tbm=isch&imgil=xNBwiTYYtoE1wM%3A%3BMW6ZWgrfHeW-DM%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.youtube.com%252Fwatch%253Fv%25253DZxvXJvn8jQM&source=iu&pf=m&fir=xNBwiTYYtoE1wM%3A%2CMW6ZWgrfHeW-DM%2C_&usg=__DcsJsNYZ2Hm00UOCq5yIBGOb1sc%3D&dpr=1.25&ved=0ahUKEwjxm6fl1vLRAhUIKpQKHVyiA8oQyjcIIw&ei=vs-TWPHEE4jU0ATcxI7QDA#imgrc=xNBwiTYYtoE1wM