IGNORED

What are your views on giving? What does the Bible say?

gigman7

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

I know we are go give our tithes, give to the poor, the widows and orphans, and to give freely, but what exactly does the scripture say?

My view on giving is pretty simple and it doesn't matter to me whatever the avenue or the situation that the giving is in the form of. Which I try to let this guide my giving in general across the board as God said that he loveth a cheerful giver and that is what I try to live by in whatever capacity I give in whether in abundance or in lack. I want God to be pleased with my offering which is important to me personally in heart and not for show.

• Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Jesus told all of His Disciples, not just the rich young ruler, to sell what they had and give the proceeds to the poor. John said that anyone who believes on Jesus was to walk as Jesus walked. Jesus had no place of His own to live in or to "rest His head." John said anyone who believes on Jesus would do greater works than Jesus.

This line of thinking typically puzzles me.

Question: So if everyone takes everything that have and give it to the poor... How would we follow through with feeding the hungry (need money and need to work to be able to give food away), giving water to the thirsty (same as with food), welcoming strangers (kind of need a home to do that right?), clothing those who are naked (Got to have clothes and/or money to do that right?), helping the sick, and visiting those in prison?

Or too how would we support missionaries spreading the Gospel overseas if nobody had anything to give towards that missionaries work?

Matthew 25:31-40

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Interesting in your thoughts JoMamma. :noidea:

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Interesting

It has always amused me how many Christians can search the scriptures to support their  reasoning for not tithing, but for other topics they don't seem to extend the same effort.

I tithe 10% and give offerings above the 10%. I've been a consistent tither for about 15 yrs now. I started tithing off my net increase and now I tithe on my gross. I tithe when I'm away on work, not my local church, and when at home.

I see tithing as worship, by keeping GOD first and understanding he is the source of all that I have. 

If my heavenly father felt it necessary to give his first and only begotten son, for my salvation then as a disciple, I feel compelled to try to do the same.

Edited by Enoc

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Jesus told all of His Disciples, not just the rich young ruler, to sell what they had and give the proceeds to the poor. John said that anyone who believes on Jesus was to walk as Jesus walked. Jesus had no place of His own to live in or to "rest His head." John said anyone who believes on Jesus would do greater works than Jesus.

he also said that he had food that the disciples were not aware of, and if he needs money he goes fishing....

i haven't developed those skills yet.  Neither has my family so I am obliged to take care of them along with doing Gods work.  We simply don't live in an environment to give everything away and still eat and stay out of the cold and rain.

So, your ideas are more valid and relevant than Jesus' Word. Have a nice eternity.

he also said that he had food that the disciples were not aware of, and if he needs money he goes fishing....

i haven't developed those skills yet.  Neither has my family so I am obliged to take care of them along with doing Gods work.  We simply don't live in an environment to give everything away and still eat and stay out of the cold and rain.

So, your ideas are more valid and relevant than Jesus' Word. Have a nice eternity.

Just because you say they are Jesus's words doesn't make them so. What Biblical passages are you referring to JoMamma? Let's look at them together in context.

Did you see my previous post. Here it is again.

This line of thinking {JoMamma} typically puzzles me.

Question: So if everyone takes everything that have and give it to the poor... How would we follow through with feeding the hungry (need money and need to work to be able to give food away), giving water to the thirsty (same as with food), welcoming strangers (kind of need a home to do that right?), clothing those who are naked (Got to have clothes and/or money to do that right?), helping the sick, and visiting those in prison?

Or too how would we support missionaries spreading the Gospel overseas if nobody had anything to give towards that missionaries work?

Matthew 25:31-40

Interesting in your thoughts JoMamma. :noidea:

Interesting

It has always amused me how many Christians can search the scriptures to support their  reasoning for not tithing, but for other topics they don't seem to extend the same effort.

I tithe 10% and give offerings above the 10%. I've been a consistent tither for about 15 yrs now. I started tithing off my net increase and now I tithe on my gross. I tithe when I'm away on work, not my local church, and when at home.

I see tithing as worship, by keeping GOD first and understanding he is the source of all that I have. 

If my heavenly father felt it necessary to give his first and only begotten son, for my salvation then as a disciple, I feel compelled to try to do the same.

I'm sorry this in bold Enoc is addressed to who? Omegaman? Or perhaps me?

Where do you see in the Bible a command for Christians to Tithe? Let's look at the passages together.

The difference is that the Biblical tithe is 10% twice a year as well as once every 3 years and a command to Israel. A gift can be greater than 10% :)

I agree giving should be out of gratitude to God as an act of worship. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

Interesting

I'm sorry this in bold Enoc is addressed to who? Omegaman? Or perhaps me?

Where do you see in the Bible a command for Christians to Tithe? Let's look at the passages together.

The difference is that the Biblical tithe is 10% twice a year as well as once every 3 years and a command to Israel. A gift can be greater than 10% :)

I agree giving should be out of gratitude to God as an act of worship. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

The statement in bold is not meant for anyone here , but an observation made over many years. On the other hand, a kicked dog will bark. 

I don't consider tithing a command, it's based on my personal relationship with GOD. It's a covenant we have, which I honor. 

The statement in bold is not meant for anyone here , but an observation made over many years. On the other hand, a kicked dog will bark. 

I don't consider tithing a command, it's based on my personal relationship with GOD. It's a covenant we have, which I honor. 

Ah okay well... Interestingly enough few on this thread have said they believe in tithing. And we are all who disagree with you adopted children of the King of Kings. We are co-heirs in Christ. Not dogs. Sorry.

I also notice that you didn't address any of the Scripture presented (in both in the thread and of course Omegaman has a very detailed study of Scripture on the subject linked in ) and provided no counter argument.

Sure if this is a personal conviction as something between you and God that is great brother. So you have made a covenant with Him on this?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

To be fair the verses used to support tithing were aimed at Israel and the priests who did not work for money but for God and relied on these tithes from the other tribes.  The verse now is used to support a building, sort of like a club membership, and the owner usually spends it on vehicles and the like.  It's evil, scripture twisting and has nothing to do with the will of God.  If you want to use your money for good then give directly to the poor, the homeless, feed the hungry and give water to the thirsty.

This is SO wrong in so many ways.

prove it

The church needs money to function. The preacher needs at least a good living wage. There are ministries to support. Do you think the church can exist if all of its members only give their money to the poor?  

You completely missed my post.

Most preachers are out for money though, which makes this argument moot.  Some preachers are even atheists.

And the point being is the verses people use for instance for 10% are misused and twisted.

No, I didn't miss your point. How can you say that "most" preachers are out for money? This is absurd. Yes, I agree that some are, and maybe even most on tv are. I have been to several churches in my lifetime and have found that most do not even talk about money hardly at all if any. Even though the Bible talks more about money than about anything, including salvation.

How is it absurd?  Just do a google search.  Or look at the vatican.  People use God to make money.

Because you said that most are out for money. That is absurd.

if you say so haha

Ah okay well... Interestingly enough few on this thread have said they believe in tithing. And we are all who disagree with you adopted children of the King of Kings. We are co-heirs in Christ. Not dogs. Sorry.

I also notice that you didn't address any of the Scripture presented (in both in the thread and of course Omegaman has a very detailed study of Scripture on the subject linked in ) and provided no counter argument.

Sure if this is a personal conviction as something between you and God that is great brother. So you have made a covenant with Him on this?

God bless,

GE

I'll review the links and revert back.

Ok, it appears the focus of the scriptures is the amount 10% (tithe) and that it's old testament thereby meant for the JEWS.

If you take the position that everything in the old testament is not applicable to the gentiles, it's reasonable to conclude tithing is not required.

I find the scriptures below revealing:

1 Corinthians 9:14

14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

Galatians 6:6

6 Let him that is taught in the Word share with him that teacheth, in all good things.

Matthew 5:17

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

My interpretation of the last scripture is that the 10% in the old testament was just a starting point. With Jesus we are to go above and beyond. 

Edited by Enoc