*Zion*

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

The sons of God are of the lineage of Seth;  the one that replaced Abel when he was murdered by Cain.

In tracing the the genealogy of Jesus by way of Mary's father, Heli, back to Adam, we can see this identity clearer still.

Luke 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

What Israel was by bloodline, believers in Jesus Christ are now the sons of God by faith in Jesus Christ.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Many believers mistaken angels for being the sons of God, but Jesus reproved that by His word so it wasn't the angels being married off to take the daughters of men as wives unto them in Genesis.  Just as scripture was for the nation of Israel to follow the major reason why they should not marry outside of the nation of Israel, one can see how those marrying outside of the lineage of Seth being the sons of God, had brought trouble.

Mark 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? 25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

Of the two times that the sons of God presented themselves to the Lord, God pointed out Job twice to Satan whom had come among them.  That means Job was one of the sons of God.

I find it difficult to identify the Sons of God in Genesis as descendants of Seth; Seth's line was the line of promise.  The connotation of Genesis 5 is negative; taking any wife for themselves is not a good thing.

Two other answers I've met:  Sons of God refer to kings that lived in that time: to call a king a son of god was common.  Polygamy was not a common practice in the ancient world except among royalty.  That such unions produced might warriors is not implausible: they would have had the means to train their offspring, and their food supply would have been better.

Another answer, in Genesis they are fallen angels who impregnate human women.  This is difficult to reconcile with current conceptions about angels, and our Lord's lesson that angels don't marry (of course, this doesn't necessarily preclude their ability to produce offspring; but it is difficult to separate the two--that angels were created capable of procreation but not permitted to procreate...?).

The sons of God in Job are angels.  The Satan in Job does not appear to be identical to what we mean by Satan now and what the word meant in the N.T.  Rather it was a satan, literally an antagonists.

In the gospels sometimes Jesus is referred to as the son of God meaning he is the Messiah, and sometimes the son of God which had Trinitarian significance.  Both are true of Him.

clb

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,319
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

The sons of God are of the lineage of Seth;  the one that replaced Abel when he was murdered by Cain.

In tracing the the genealogy of Jesus by way of Mary's father, Heli, back to Adam, we can see this identity clearer still.

Luke 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

What Israel was by bloodline, believers in Jesus Christ are now the sons of God by faith in Jesus Christ.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Many believers mistaken angels for being the sons of God, but Jesus reproved that by His word so it wasn't the angels being married off to take the daughters of men as wives unto them in Genesis.  Just as scripture was for the nation of Israel to follow the major reason why they should not marry outside of the nation of Israel, one can see how those marrying outside of the lineage of Seth being the sons of God, had brought trouble.

Mark 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? 25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

Of the two times that the sons of God presented themselves to the Lord, God pointed out Job twice to Satan whom had come among them.  That means Job was one of the sons of God.

Adam is the only one in that line that is the son of God, for he was created directly by God.....    Jesus is the only begotten son of God for God himself caused Mary to conceive.   I would have to disagree that Seth would be considered a son of God in the Bible, when it plainly says that he is the son of Adam.

I am familiar with what you believe, but I just can't see it that way.....   but I guess that's ok too.   I have lots of friends that we disagree on a few things....

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Brother Sevensea,

This is why the right Bible version is crucial in finding the truth.

Job 2:1Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the Lord.

Not angels.  Read on.

Job 2:2 And the Lord said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. 3 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

Now here are the sons of God presenting themselves unto the Lord, but God points Job out to Satan?  What?  God took Satan somewhere else and say, hey.. lookee here." ?  No.

Was God insulting the sons of God of their presentation to the Lord by referring to a human that was not there?  What would be the point of that?

In both times when the sons of God presented themselves unto the Lord, the Lord pointed Job out both time in those events to Satan.

Angels do not need to present themselves to God for inspection;  fallible human beings do.

Romans 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

The word "sons" is derived from "ben" which is defined as "from 'banah' (1129); a son (as a builder of the family name), in the widest sense (of literal and figurative relationship, including grandson, subject, nation, quality or condition, etc.,..." 

Angels are not marrying nor given in marriage and so God would not join them with the daughters of men to be called "wives" to them in the His words because He would not call them wives.  The sons of God are referring to the godly lineage of Seth that sought marriage outside of their godly line of Seth.  The fact that Luke traces the genealogy of Jesus back through Noah to that Seth and ending with naming Adam as the son of God should be a telltaling declaration, but I reckon it is on God to help you see the truth in His words as to why that version you are using is a lie.

Brother Connor,

Yes, the line of Seth has been traced as the line of promise, but there were other offsprings of Seth besides the one taking off to Noah.

If you accept the fact that Adam had other sons and daughters...then it stands to reason that Seth had other sons besides the one that linked the promise line.  Enos had brothers and from them, their sons and multiple from there to see a nation of people by the time Noah came about.

Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth: 4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

The command to go forth and multiply was not something Adam & Eve procrastinated on. 

Anyway, as Seth line branched out and grew just as Adam's line branched out and grew, so there were other lineage besides the one leading to Seth from which the nation of Isreal were identifying themselves with as the sons of God by blood.  So the other lines in Seth all branched out and apart from Noah saw the other lineages from Adam as the sons of God saw the daughters of men and married outside that godly lineage of Seth.

Adam is the only one in that line that is the son of God, for he was created directly by God.....    Jesus is the only begotten son of God for God himself caused Mary to conceive.   I would have to disagree that Seth would be considered a son of God in the Bible, when it plainly says that he is the son of Adam.

I am familiar with what you believe, but I just can't see it that way.....   but I guess that's ok too.   I have lots of friends that we disagree on a few things....

Sons of God was a phrase used for builder of the family name.  The word "sons" is derived from "ben" which is defined as "from 'banah' (1129); a son (as a builder of the family name), in the widest sense (of literal and figurative relationship, including grandson, subject, nation, quality or condition, etc.,..."  Adam being a son of God would initiate that all those leading up to the nation of Israel are by blood the sons of God. 

The Bible is their roots and family tree history in their relationship as a godly people.

John 1:.12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Verse 13 testifies how the former ways was in being of the sons of God;  by blood of the lineage of Seth, of the will of the flesh or of the will of man of religious people that had joined Judaism, but now no more as the sons of God are born of God by all those that have received Him.

The nation of Isreal has been circumvented by spiritual Israel as now being the sons of God by faith in Jesus Christ.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Content Count:  56,319
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I would just say that I do disagree with your assessment of the subject concerning the time before the resurrection of Jesus....   I do agree that we are sons of God when we receive salvation, because we become a new creature made by God and not  just begotten by earthly parents.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Brother Connor,

Yes, the line of Seth has been traced as the line of promise, but there were other offsprings of Seth besides the one taking off to Noah.

If you accept the fact that Adam had other sons and daughters...then it stands to reason that Seth had other sons besides the one that linked the promise line.  Enos had brothers and from them, their sons and multiple from there to see a nation of people by the time Noah came about.

Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth: 4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters: 5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

The command to go forth and multiply was not something Adam & Eve procrastinated on. 

Anyway, as Seth line branched out and grew just as Adam's line branched out and grew, so there were other lineage besides the one leading to Seth from which the nation of Isreal were identifying themselves with as the sons of God by blood.  So the other lines in Seth all branched out and apart from Noah saw the other lineages from Adam as the sons of God saw the daughters of men and married outside that godly lineage of Seth.

I see none of that in the text.  Genesis is controlled by linear and segmented genealogies;

And why is the line of Seth preferable to the line of Cain?

:thumbsup:

And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.

And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD. Genesis 4:25-26

~

And Why Most

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever. Psalms 119:160

Can Not

And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. Psalms 29:11-142

See

Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid. Psalms 29:13-14

See?

Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the LORD, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?

Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding? Psalms 29:15-16

Brother Connor,

I see none of that in the text.  Genesis is controlled by linear and segmented genealogies;

Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

Now do you see that answer to your last question in the text?

Cain did murder Abel.  Seth was conceived after Abel was murdered to replace him as it was significant to point out his birth after Abel's murder.

Other pointed truths you may overlooked also.

Genesis 3:20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

The name of Eve is significant.  For Cain to have a wife is for him to marry one of his sister, because there were no other couples on the earth that started the population of the generations of man other than Adam & Eve.

That means there were other sons and daughters after the birth of Cain & Abel when citing how old Adam was when he had begatted Seth as they did obey the Lord to go forth and multiply.

That means the practise of marrying sisters set the precedent of marrying within the family line.  Even Abraham married his sister.

Genesis 20:11 And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife's sake. 12 And yet indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife.

It wasn't until Israel became a nation that the restriction of marrying a sister or a close family member was given, but they were allow to marry within the family nation of Isreal but not outside of it.  Some did not listen and that is where the Samaritans came from, and why the Jews were prejudicial to them.

Anyway, Noah was the only one out of that line of Seth, branched out as it was, and after his direct line to Adam and those in it had died off, to find favour at the time that the godly descendnts from the line of Seth decided to marry outside their family line to escape the coming global flood.  There was a priest alive at the time as part of that lineage, but the meaning of his name ( starts with an M, can't recall it right now ) coincided with his death as meaning "It is sent" so that when he had died, the judgment came, leaving only Noah and his family to find favour of the Lord to escape judgment on the earth.

There is a difference between reading the Bible with your eyes and reading it with His eyes.  Reading it with His eyes requires you trusting Him as your Good Sheherd to see the meaning of His words.

Matthew 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Prayer is needed, Brother Connor, because I believe something that is a lie is keeping you from seeing the truth in His words.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  308
  • Content Count:  18,151
  • Content Per Day:  4.59
  • Days Won:  327

Hey Sis
    Here is just a real quick example of the Hebrew,Greek & English comparisons....
  In Job 1:6...."son"(in  Hebrew); a son (as a builder of the family name), in the widest sense (of literal and figurative relationship, including grandson, subject, nation, quality or condition, etc., (like H1, H251, etc.): - + afflicted, age, [Ahoh-] [Ammon-] [Hachmon-] [Lev-]ite, [anoint-]ed one, appointed to, (+) arrow, [Assyr-] [babylon-] [Egypt-] [Grec-]ian, one born,
John 3:16 "Son" (in Greek) uihos hwee-os'
Apparently a primary word; a “son” (sometimes of animals), used very widely of immediate, remote or figurative kinship: - child, foal, son.

Much is lost in translation,,,,,the sons of God are speaking of descendants,lineage,a blood line
There is only one Son of God......capitalized,the Person of Jesus

I am trying to keep it very simple(translation from Strongs),it really is Love,Kwik