• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1961

Okay, we will measure what is taught against the word of God.

Now

Philippians 4:8New International Version (NIV)

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Talk about these things, thank God for these things.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Okay, we will measure what is taught against the word of God.

Now

Philippians 4:8New International Version (NIV)

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Talk about these things, thank God for these things.

I am not sure I understand how you are applying this to Joel Osteen?  Are you applying this to Joel Osteen?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/02/1961

I am applying this to us.  We need to think about good things. We need not to focus on Joel Osteen but on our own walks with God.  We can listen to Mr. Osteen and test what he says against the Word, but I think we need to think on and focus on good things.  That's all I was saying, there was a lot of negative stuff said. That's all

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I don't think Joel Osteen is supposed to be a prophet. I just don't like him because he's too happy go lucky. I don't think anyone knows why, but some of us were born with health issues that only got worse. Some of us just don't seem to have the good fortune Osteen claims we can all have. It goes back to what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes. There are people living fairly righteous lives, but bad things come their way. Then he saw evil men, and good things happen for them. Joel should read and re-read Ecclesiastes until he realizes that life isn't all cherries and whip cream for all Christians. And if Solomon didn't know, I doubt Joel will know why. But that's why I don't like him.  

I am applying this to us.  We need to think about good things. We need not to focus on Joel Osteen but on our own walks with God.  We can listen to Mr. Osteen and test what he says against the Word, but I think we need to think on and focus on good things.  That's all I was saying, there was a lot of negative stuff said. That's all

Testing what someone says does not mean that no one thinks about good things...how would that be?

The problem is many sincere people have their walks damaged by false teachers/prophets. or watered down versions of the gospel...aka gospel light

The thread is about Mr Osteen...I guess we could recommend his dentist..... :biggrin2:

I don't think Joel Osteen is supposed to be a prophet. I just don't like him because he's too happy go lucky. I don't think anyone knows why, but some of us were born with health issues that only got worse. Some of us just don't seem to have the good fortune Osteen claims we can all have. It goes back to what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes. There are people living fairly righteous lives, but bad things come their way. Then he saw evil men, and good things happen for them. Joel should read and re-read Ecclesiastes until he realizes that life isn't all cherries and whip cream for all Christians. And if Solomon didn't know, I doubt Joel will know why. But that's why I don't like him.  

Oh no don't go there!  You will ruin the message.  (sarcastic light)

yup JTC I agree

• 8 months later...

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

In interviews with larry king and fox (cant recall who tho), he states that he wont call sin what it is and he wont say that someone in false religions isnt saved nor will he say Jesus is the only way. Those transcripts are available online and later tonight if I have time (and remember), I will search them out for you.

I know I am entering this discussion sort of late, but since I've been lead to discuss it elsewhere, might as well share my thoughts here too.

Yes, his interview with Larry King says it all for me. I recently posted my thoughts on another website so I will cut and paste here to save time. I would love to hear your thoughts on my words.

Shalom,

TM

Joel’s case, the interview with Larry King was pretty convincing to me- Joel did not want to EXCLUDE anyone from Heaven, so he said that is up to God. In other words, it is not my place to teach that Christ is the ONLY way to God. I think Joel knows that to preach that message he will not be packing in 45,000 people in his church, he will not be getting money from Satellite offers, or for his “concerts.” So, like he says, “I don’t want to exclude anyone….” He has a chance to reach more people to support his ministry.

Now the question you need to ask is simply this- are these people supporting his ministry or Gods ministry? Who are they following? Joel or God?

I would advise everyone reading this to stop now, read 2 Timothy 4 slowly and ponder the Word of God. For this one thing I know- the Bible is inspired by God. I’m not sure all of Joel’s words are.

1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

Paul is telling Timothy to CORRECT AND REBUKE wrong thinkers! So why can’t Joel do that? Is he beyond this message? Was that only for Timothy, but not him? Hmmm. I do agree with this though- if you tell Larry King that “Yes, Muslims,Jews, Hindus have it all wrong because they reject Gods only acceptable gift- the atonement of His son at Calvary- I guarantee you we probably would never be talking about Joel Osteen right now. He would not be rich and famous and someone Larry King would have wanted to seek out for an interview. Oh, and did you notice at the end of the interview, Joel couldn’t even say ATHEISTS are doomed without Christ ruling their life!!!!!! Oh yeah, I forgot……that’s not for him to correct, it is only for God. (Nice teeth though, Joel.)

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

1 Corinthians 5:12  "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you."

It is really quite simple, dilute the message so as not to offend anyone, motivate people to feel good about themselves, just enough of a hint of "Christianity" for a sense of belonging, and then watch the coffers grow.

You managed to say a lot in just a few words. Have you ever thought about being a motivational speaker? Well guess what? You would fail, so don't bother. Mouth have to be VERBOSE and of course smile a lot.

Guest LadyC

The bible does tell us to avoid false teachers. 

The bible does tell us to leave milk behind and get on meat. 

Osteen is milk only, at best. He preaches a false prosperity doctrine and will not openly say that one needs Jesus to be saved. To me, that crosses the line between minor doctrinal differences to a major doctrinal error. One that can cost folks salvation. After all, if he refuses to say one needs Jesus, then how will folks know they need Him to be saved?

skim milk.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I think you said it in your post. Joel doesn't go by 100% on scripture. That right there should be a red flag.