• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/09/1989

Well, my friends and family know I love TV. I watch Footy, Soccer, Wrestling, movies, play PS3 etc.... And Ive felt convicted to sell it.

I am studying Ministry and am wanting to learn Gods word each day but keep being distracted by such worldly entertainment and putting it before God. So I repented and asked the Lord to help me.... So he's been putting on my heart to get rid of it.

Am I doing the right thing? Should I rid it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I went through the same thing, I felt convicted / condemned for playing too much video games so I scratched 11 game disc's. I regret one of the games.

if you feel convicted by the Lord to rid your life of these distractions, why are you asking US if you're doing the right thing? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

You'd be better off to get control of it in my opinion, but I guess the second choice would be to get rid of it.   Though i would think that would be an admission of failure.    There will always be that nagging desire to buy another tv......   unless you get control of it.

I learn a lot from being on the internet.....     There are many channels on Direct TV that teach the Bible.

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

Ephesians 2:8-9New King James Version (NKJV)

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

If you feel convicted by the Holy Spirit to sell or give you TV  away go for it ------

How about the computer? Everything can become an idol if you put it before God.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

So he's been putting on my heart to get rid of it.

Get rid of it if He is speaking to you to do so. There should be no questions about it.

Well, my friends and family know I love TV. I watch Footy, Soccer, Wrestling, movies, play PS3 etc.... And Ive felt convicted to sell it.

I am studying Ministry and am wanting to learn Gods word each day but keep being distracted by such worldly entertainment and putting it before God. So I repented and asked the Lord to help me.... So he's been putting on my heart to get rid of it.

I'll agree with what others have said here: If the Holy Spirit is telling you to get rid of the TV, then get rid of it. :)  The Lord will reward your obiedience.

It may be that you need some time away from the TV to thouroughly break the habit of watching too much of it. I went through something similar several years ago, and I still don't own a TV. It was surprising how much "extra" time I had without watching TV at first, but I was able to spend more time in the Word and other things. I don't watch all that much any more, but what little TV I see is run through the computer now. I really don't miss it all that much.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

hey if thats what you feel led to do sell it. . .TVs are cheap in the future if you decide you want it again you can just buy another one. If you sell it and find out you can live without it, well I definetly cant see that as a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1976

We cancelled our DirecTV several years ago due to the high cost and the fact that there is literally almost nothing fit for a Christian to watch on it and we don't miss it at all.  We do use Netflix for an occasional show.  I too was being tempted to spend too much time playing an X-Box 360 game that I had so I sold it on Craigslist a couple months ago and haven't touched it since.  I wouldn't say you would have to get rid of a television to be spiritual but if you feel convicted about it then sell it or give it away.  There are a few things that are good to watch, for example we went to the Redbox and rented "God's Not Dead" Friday night.  My boys, wife and I all really enjoyed it and would strongly recommend it to everyone. 

Michael

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I find a couple of broadcast chanels here  where we life that play old shows like the waltons and such....    And if you have netflix, there is always "Dr. Who".

There are things to watch if you look......

My suggestion would be to become a watchman on Worthy (if that's possible) and read all the posts that come up.....  I doubt you would have time to watch any tv at all.