Samonee

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  589
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

So are those the only two options: Jesus or Shem?  A bit narrow, no?

The text from Hebrews is laying down a legal argument legitimizing Jesus' assumption of the priesthood.  He was from Judah, and therefore disqualified according to Biblical policy.  The author of Hebrews is pointing to a priesthood much older than the levitical one, and therefore of higher authority.  He places Jesus in this line.

The hard part is that Hebrews 7:3 could be read to suggest he is eternal, never being created and never dying. There is no easy solution to this that I have found.  Is he merely saying that there is no 'recorded genealogy', or that Melch never died.  The latter would mean that two perpetual priests are currently operating: both Jesus and Melch.

clb

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Not if they are one in the same...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

About Melchizedek not having father or mother, I believe that this speaks of the fact that he preceded the Levitical priesthood, therefore he was without Father or Mother in the census of the Levite's as witness the below.

Torah Laws require that the Kohen (priest) must be a patrilineal descendant of a prior Kohen.[56] Leviticus Rabbah maintains that God intended to permanently bring forth the priesthood ("Kehuna") through Melchizedek’s patrilineal descendants, but since Melchizedek preceded Abram's blessing to that of God,[57] God instead chose to bring the priesthood ("kehuna") forth from Abram’s descendants.[58] As the text states in regard to Melchizedek; "and he is a Kohen",[59] meaning himself in the exclusive sense and not his patrilineal descendants.[60]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melchizedek

I know that I was just finding stuff on the Web that could back me up and I couldn't defend it myself.

Not if they are one in the same...

True.  It is an attractive solution, but Hebrews doesn't seem to identify them.  The gist of the argument is that they are parallel to each other.

clb

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Heb 7:1-3

7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. 3 Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he abides a priest perpetually.

NASB

Please understand my plight here.   I must reconcile all scripture to accept beliefs of things.    This verse says very plainly that Melchizedek had no father or mother or family tree.   No beginning of days or end of life.

When Abraham was 58 years old Noah died.    Noah was Shems father,  Shem was still alive when Abraham died, and lived 35 years longer than Abraham, but he did die.  He also has a family tree back to Adam himself.

I simply can not accept that Melchizedek could be Shem with that many parts of his description being so off.

7:1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. 3 Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he abides a priest perpetually.

NASB

Please understand my plight here.   I must reconcile all scripture to accept beliefs of things.    This verse says very plainly that Melchizedek had no father or mother or family tree.   No beginning of days or end of life.

When Abraham was 58 years old Noah died.    Noah was Shems father,  Shem was still alive when Abraham died, and lived 35 years longer than Abraham, but he did die.  He also has a family tree back to Adam himself.

I simply can not accept that Melchizedek could be Shem with that many parts of his description being so off.

I think I would have to agree that it's not Shem.

Shem had father, mother, genealogy, plus he died.

NASB

NASB

I think I would have to agree that it's not Shem.

Shem had father, mother, genealogy, plus he died.

Agreed.  There is no indication in Genesis that Melchizedek was Shem; nor in Hebrews.  Melchizedek is one thing, Shem another.

clb

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Would you say that Adam and Eve had a father and Mother ?

Would you say that Adam and Eve had a father and Mother ?

The Bible calls Adam a son of God.   Eve would  be the side of Adam or daughter of God depending on how one wants to view it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

I never read that Melchizedek destroyed Sodom and Gomorra.

Just friends here discussing.

I never read that Melchizedek destroyed Sodom and Gomorra.

Just friends here discussing.

just adding 4 and 4 and getting 8.

If the Angel that Abraham was calling Lord is Jesus and I do believe he was, and Melchizedek is Jesus.....   well it's just common sense.    But I guess if you thought Shem was Melchizedek then I guess you would disagree with me.