IGNORED

Which day is the Sabbath and is it still valid today?

tff

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

So what about policemen, firefighters, doctors, nurses, people in the military who are believers?   Many of them HAVE to work on the Sabbath.    They often cannot keep the Sabbath.   If the Sabbath is required, what about them?

So not keeping the Sabbath means you don't love God?

Tell me, what is the eternal destiny of believers who do not keep the Sabbath day?

Hi Shiloh,

What do the Scriptures tell us?

The Military

Matthew 12:3-4 But He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?

Note: I would put Police and firemen in that bundle for they are also protecting us. My Dad was an NYC Fireman for 26 years and tried to trade off with others to be with us in Church but it was not always possible.

Those serving the Lord

Matthew 12:5 "Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?

Exodus 20:6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

Psalms 119:127 Therefore I love Your commandments More than gold, yes, than fine gold!

John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments.

John 14:21 “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

John 14:31 “But that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father gave Me commandment, so I do. Arise, let us go from here.

John 15:10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

If Jesus kept all 10 commandments shouldn't we out of love for Him also keep them for He who died for us? Not because in doing so we are saved but we are called to be holy even as He is Holy.

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/09/1941

hi

MT 12:11 And He said to them, “ What man is there among you who has a sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out? 
MT 12:12 “ How much more valuable then is a man than a sheep! So then, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

MK 2:27 Jesus said to them, “ The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 
MK 2:28 “So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

MK 3:2 They were watching Him to see if He would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him. 
MK 3:4 And He *said to them, “Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to kill?”

LK 6:9 And Jesus said to them, “I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to destroy it?” 
LK 13:10 And He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 
LK 13:14 But the synagogue official, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, began saying to the crowd in response, “ There are six days in which work should be done; so come during them and get healed, and not on the Sabbath day.” 
LK 13:15 But the Lord answered him and said, “You hypocrites, does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the stall and lead him away to water him? 
LK 13:16 “And this woman, a daughter of Abraham as she is, whom Satan has bound for eighteen long years, should she not have been released from this bond on the Sabbath day?”

LK 13:16 “And this woman, a daughter of Abraham as she is, whom Satan has bound for eighteen long years, should she not have been released from this bond on the Sabbath day?”

JN 5:16 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.

are you guys not doing the same thing as those Jews did to Christ ?

Guest shiloh357

Hi Shiloh,

The Military

Matthew 12:3-4 But He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he was hungry, he and those who were with him: how he entered the house of God and ate the showbread which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for those who were with him, but only for the priests?

Note: I would put Police and firemen in that bundle for they are also protecting us. My Dad was an NYC Fireman for 26 years and tried to trade off with others to be with us in Church but it was not always possible.

Those serving the Lord

Matthew 12:5 "Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

I don't really see how that answers my question.  In Matthew 12 Jesus was responding to a complaint that His disciples were violating what really amounted to extra-biblical rules about the Sabbath.

They were not violating the biblical edict of the Sabbath.   So your comparison isn't really valid.   If the Sabbath is required, then it is required absolutely and there are no exceptions.  God doesn't have a sliding scale for disobedience. 

In Matt. 12:5 Jesus was talking about people who were ministering in the temple.  That cannot apply to policemen or firemen or doctors.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,866
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

If Jesus kept all 10 commandments shouldn't we out of love for Him also keep them for He who died for us? Not because in doing so we are saved but we are called to be holy even as He is Holy.

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

John 5:16-18

He was doing these things on the Sabbath. 17 But He answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working ." 

NASB

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,866
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

He was doing these things on the Sabbath. 17 But He answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working ." 

NASB

If Jesus can work on the Sabbath, then why shouldn't we?

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

NASB

If Jesus can work on the Sabbath, then why shouldn't we?

Hi Other one

Jesus' "work" on the Sabbath was the work of God and not the work of man. I think I already provided an previous explanation that those who were doing the work of God were already exempted as explained by the Lord. Jesus' argument to the Pharisees was a logical explanation using examples from the Old Testament Scriptures and to make it clear to them that they didn't truly understand what "keeping the Sabbath holy" really meant. He gave the example of David, and his military arm, so as to compare His apostles to His army, and He also compared the work of the Levites work of circumcision to those performing the work of the Lord in carrying out their actions.

This fits very well with Jesus doing priestly works on the Sabbath. Just as He mentioned that the act of circumcision on the Sabbath was also allowed.

John 7:23 “If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath?

We too are priests of God and in doing service to God on the Sabbath, whether ministering to the sick, the poor, preaching the word, protecting the lives of the community, or whatever other services you are rendering to God as a sacrifice of love for God or, as the 2nd commandment exhorts, love for our fellow man. That is not breaking the Sabbath. That is really helping to keep the Sabbath holy. So Jesus healing lepers, the lame, and sick on the Sabbath "was" keeping the Sabbath holy and demonstrating to us how we too, as priests, may do the same. For as the Word of God tells us we too are priests meant to be light in honoring our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ

1Peter 2:5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

1Peter 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

Revelation 1:6 and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 5:10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth.”

Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son

Hi Shiloh,

The Military

Those serving the Lord

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

I don't really see how that answers my question.  In Matthew 12 Jesus was responding to a complaint that His disciples were violating what really amounted to extra-biblical rules about the Sabbath.

They were not violating the biblical edict of the Sabbath.   So your comparison isn't really valid.   If the Sabbath is required, then it is required absolutely and there are no exceptions.  God doesn't have a sliding scale for disobedience. 

In Matt. 12:5 Jesus was talking about people who were ministering in the temple.  That cannot apply to policemen or firemen or doctors.

Hi Shiloh,

Jesus was using the example of David, and the youth under his military arm, why it was permissible in eating the shewbread. Normally this would have not been permissible. His apostles were gleaning the grain with their hands for substantive nourishment as they followed our Lord Jesus in His ministry work. So Jesus was comparing His apostles to an army, an army of the Lord to be exact.

In Christ, Pat

hi

MT 12:11 And He said to them, “ What man is there among you who has a sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will he not take hold of it and lift it out? 

MT 12:12 “ How much more valuable then is a man than a sheep! So then, it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

MK 2:27 Jesus said to them, “ The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 

MK 2:28 “So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

MK 3:2 They were watching Him to see if He would heal him on the Sabbath, so that they might accuse Him. 

MK 3:4 And He *said to them, “Is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to kill?”

LK 6:9 And Jesus said to them, “I ask you, is it lawful to do good or to do harm on the Sabbath, to save a life or to destroy it?” 

LK 13:10 And He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. 

LK 13:14 But the synagogue official, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, began saying to the crowd in response, “ There are six days in which work should be done; so come during them and get healed, and not on the Sabbath day.” 

LK 13:15 But the Lord answered him and said, “You hypocrites, does not each of you on the Sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the stall and lead him away to water him? 

JN 5:16 For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath.

are you guys not doing the same thing as those Jews did to Christ ?

Hi Terraricca,

The simple answer is I'm doing no such thing. I'm advocating for keeping the Sabbath Holy, which was God's perpetual ordinance. If you read my preceding posts you will see that doing the Lord's work certainly is keeping the Sabbath holy and not profaning it. I am not advocating for the skin deep letter of the law the Pharisees followed but something that is indeed pleasing to the Lord, who said the Sabbath was a perpetual covenant and one of the ten commandments.

Exodus 31:16 ‘Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.

I don't think they'd be quite as much kickback on this if we were talking about the things we are told to avoid within the ten commandments as Christians; such as avoiding idolatry, taking the Lord's Name in vain, stealing, coveting, murdering, bearing false witness, or committing adultery. These avoidances are integral to the ten commandments and yet we don't hear much argument out there on dismissing them in our Christian walk. Likewise, on the positives side of His commandments I never hear that we shouldn't honor our father and mother. So just why is it apropos not to keep the Sabbath holy? When did Jesus ever say not to? He did and so did the apostles with Him and those who were taught by those apostles. Quite frankly I don't get why there is opposition to this within Christian ranks.

In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son

Guest shiloh357

Hi Shiloh,

The Military

Those serving the Lord

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

Hi Shiloh,

Jesus was using the example of David, and the youth under his military arm, why it was permissible in eating the shewbread. Normally this would have not been permissible. His apostles were gleaning the grain with their hands for substantive nourishment as they followed our Lord Jesus in His ministry work. So Jesus was comparing His apostles to an army, an army of the Lord to be exact.

In Christ, Pat

LOL,   Yeah you are really reaching on that one, Mac.   Jesus was addressing an extra-biblical issue that the Pharisees had imposed on the people.   My point is that the disciples were not violating the Sabbath, they were violating man-made rules imposed by the religious leaders.   So your position that it is permissible to violate the Sabbath in some cases is not supported by that text.

The root of the problem is that you haven't even supported the view that the Church is required by God to keep the Sabbath Day, in the first place.   Are you a Seventh Day Adventist?

Hi Shiloh,

The Military

Those serving the Lord

Anyway that's my take

In Christ, Pat

Hi Shiloh,

In Christ, Pat

LOL,   Yeah you are really reaching on that one, Mac.   Jesus was addressing an extra-biblical issue that the Pharisees had imposed on the people.   My point is that the disciples were not violating the Sabbath, they were violating man-made rules imposed by the religious leaders.   So your position that it is permissible to violate the Sabbath in some cases is not supported by that text.

The root of the problem is that you haven't even supported the view that the Church is required by God to keep the Sabbath Day, in the first place.   Are you a Seventh Day Adventist?

Hi Shiloh,

Being "servile work," on the Sabbath it was prohibited on the sabbath day and was regarded as sinful but since you do not accept this you merely have to go to the Battle of Jericho where God's army marched around the city for seven days. On the seventh day the walls fell and they took the city.

In Christ, Pat

No, I am not a 7th Day Adventist

I am a Christian first

and a Baptist 2nd