ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I find it more amazing that this discussion is even happening. Go back 150 years or more, in the U.S. wild west, guns were a matter of survival. Guns were for food. Guns were for protection from such wildlife as bears or other aggressive animals. Having some form of weapons has been common through out history. It is only in our modern city life that it is even a question as to whether we have some form of weapon or not. It is not a lack of faith to not own a weapon. It is a lack of common sense to not be prepared.

And believe me, if a coyote or coy dog or cougar or bear came up on my property to attack my pet dog, I would deal with it as I believe it is my job, as a human, to care for and protect my animals.  

Wild animals still pose a threat, in the wild west and in the east. Just this week a person was killed in new jersey by a black bear and a boy was attacked by a mountain lion in arizona. These were not out in the wilderness type attacks either.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

. but to assume that a gun is not a tool that God would use to prolong your life is just flat out silly and lacks biblical substance.

Sure it could be a tool He uses to prolong ones life, but He would also prolong it using other means than a gun if we didn't happen to own one. So in other words gun or no gun the outcome is the same, owning one is a personal choice, is it a Godly choice or a personal choice? Does it make us feel superior to own one? That's what we have to ask ourselves, if the choice is made out of pride then might as well through that gun away.

no, i think the question here is, does it make you feel superior NOT to own one? and the second question (to which the answer appears obvious to me, but i could be wrong), do you ASSUME that those who own guns feel superior?

Not sure what you're getting at but if you must know, no, it doesn't make me feel superior to NOT own one. Second question, I know for a fact that "some" feel superior owning a gun but not all.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

. but to assume that a gun is not a tool that God would use to prolong your life is just flat out silly and lacks biblical substance.

Sure it could be a tool He uses to prolong ones life, but He would also prolong it using other means than a gun if we didn't happen to own one. So in other words gun or no gun the outcome is the same, owning one is a personal choice, is it a Godly choice or a personal choice? Does it make us feel superior to own one? That's what we have to ask ourselves, if the choice is made out of pride then might as well throw that gun away.

For some reason people really feel strongly about guns.  I think the statements made about not being prepared if you don't have a gun is what i disagree with.  Thinking on those lines, you would not be prepared if you don't build an underground bunker or safe house.  Or your not following scripture if your not prepared by stockpiling a years worth of food or more.  Yes, that is way more than what has been said here, its just where my thinking leads me,   A gun is a tool, a dangerous tool that is designed to kill.  I do not feel superior to own or not own one, but it does strike me as wrong to say it is a necessary tool for protection.  

I actually thought of buying a gun some time ago for protection against wild animals when I go hiking in the mountains but changed my mind. I pray for protection before hiking and trust in the Lord who listens to our prayers according to our faith in Him.

no, i think the question here is, does it make you feel superior NOT to own one? and the second question (to which the answer appears obvious to me, but i could be wrong), do you ASSUME that those who own guns feel superior?

Not sure what you're getting at but if you must know, no, it doesn't make me feel superior to NOT own one. Second question, I know for a fact that "some" feel superior owning a gun but not all.

and i'm quite positive that SOME people feel superior for not owning them.

so how about if we all quit inferring things like that about each other. it isn't edifying. it's judgmental and destructive to the body of Christ.

Sure it could be a tool He uses to prolong ones life, but He would also prolong it using other means than a gun if we didn't happen to own one. So in other words gun or no gun the outcome is the same, owning one is a personal choice, is it a Godly choice or a personal choice? Does it make us feel superior to own one? That's what we have to ask ourselves, if the choice is made out of pride then might as well throw that gun away.

For some reason people really feel strongly about guns.  I think the statements made about not being prepared if you don't have a gun is what i disagree with.  Thinking on those lines, you would not be prepared if you don't build an underground bunker or safe house.  Or your not following scripture if your not prepared by stockpiling a years worth of food or more.  Yes, that is way more than what has been said here, its just where my thinking leads me,   A gun is a tool, a dangerous tool that is designed to kill.  I do not feel superior to own or not own one, but it does strike me as wrong to say it is a necessary tool for protection.

I agree.

i don't recall anyone here saying it is a NECESSARY tool for protection.

but it is A tool for protection. and it is one of many ways that people can take precautions to safeguard themselves or their families... from criminals and from starvation, since they are also tools used to provide food.

the point i keep trying to make is that NOBODY has the right to criticize another for their position on gun ownership and/or self defense. God calls some to be pacifists and have no weapons of any kind. He calls others to bear arms and protect lives, be it their own or someone else's.

and for either side to say the other side is wrong is judgmental and unbiblical.

do you agree?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

does it say that it's bad to die by the sword even in the context of the scripture...   I've pondered on that for some number of years.

Interesting thought, never thought of it like that. However, I look at this way. Jesus is the example we are to follow. Jesus was never violent. Now some may say, hold up a minute, what about when Jesus made the whip, and overturned the money changers tables. wasn't that violent? I say no it was not a violent act, and I'll give you 2 reasons why. 1st, even the pharisees response wasn't about violence but " what sign is this that you show us"? Even the pharisees who had opposed Jesus at every turn recognized it as a sign. A sign, a divinely inspired act (Which by the way is what I've been saying is the only exception) and not a violent act. 2nd, When Jesus was buried, he was put in a rich mans tomb....why? The bible says because it was to fulfill Isaiah 53:9, which says he was buried with the rich because he had done no violence. So back to my point, Jesus never responded with violence and neither did the 12. from the book of Acts onward. Jesus said we are in a new covenant, which included turning the other check, not responding with an eye for an eye, which Jesus said we are not to do.

Simply put, motive I think is irrelevant. We are to be known by our love, not because we respond with violence.

I don't know about dying from the sword being bad, but David couldn't build the Temple of God because of violence,    so clearly there are consequences for violence.

Interesting thought, you'll have me thinking on that one for a while. lol 

1 Kings 5:2 And Solomon sent to Hiram, saying,

5:3 "Thou knowest how that David my father could not build an house unto the name of the LORD his God for the wars which were about him on every side, until the LORD put them under the soles of his feet.

5:4 But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.

It seems to me that David could not build the temple because of all the violence around him having to defend Israel........   personally I don't see the problem as him being a violent person, but too busy violently defending the people.

however he did have that one murder on his hands, even though he didn't actually commit it himself.

and i'm quite positive that SOME people feel superior for not owning them.

so how about if we all quit inferring things like that about each other. it isn't edifying. it's judgmental and destructive to the body of Christ.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say that some feel superior not owning them...doesn't make sense, It's a neutral feeling to me, I just don't feel like I need one...

hall, YOU were the one who raised the question, and i quote, "do you feel superior to own one". 

superior to what? to whom? given the context of your question and this discussion, it seems you can only mean do those who own guns feel superior to those who do not own guns.

i don't know how you have such trouble then, understanding the question in reverse. do you feel superior to those who own guns because you somehow think you are more righteous, more pious, more faithful than those who do?

YOU asked the original question. i just turned it back around on you. if you have such trouble understanding the question, maybe you shouldn't ask it.