• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

I have been searching this forum on this topic of remarriage but could not find any discussions or info about it.

I have been extensively trying to find the truth about this topic only to end up with several different opinions from people (and many of them are biased also), but actually there can only be one truth. The other problem of this topic is that there are so many different situations one can find themselves in and on the other hand there is not a lot of scripture explaining in detail every situation.

The general question is: Can a divorced person remarry?

Except what is stated to be obvious in scripture, like if their spouse dies they are free to remarry, let's focus on the situation were one is either divorcing or being divorced and from the viewpoint of a divorced man and then of a divorced woman (there seems to be a difference mentioned in scripture).

Can a divorced man remarry?

Can a divorced woman remarry?

When is remarriage OK, if at all and why or why not, in both situations of a man and a woman being divorced and being the one divorcing.

I also don't want to talk about divorce being not the will of God and that God's hates divorce, that is a given.

Please back up every comment with scripture, I don't want just your opinion, it has to be based on the word of God. Please do include if possible any cultural background information in light of scripture of the times it was written in that might help to understand the meaning of the scripture and how it applies to the current times (since the Word of God is timeless but it helps at times to know the background info). Also word studies in the original language that help to understand the meaning of a scripture in better detail than the english translation is welcome.

God bless!

I would ask if the divorced people have left the relationship on Biblical grounds. The only Biblical grounds for a divorce is adultery, without that the divorce is not Biblical. A marriage is a three way covenant between a man, a woman, and God. Just because one of the parties decides to divorce that doesn't mean that God has released that person from  the covenant. For someone to remarry they must be released from the covenant by God.

I too have been seeking the truth on this subject and gotten different opinions. I could suggest some material for your consideration if you are interested.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  118
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1950

I have been searching this forum on this topic of remarriage but could not find any discussions or info about it.

I have been extensively trying to find the truth about this topic only to end up with several different opinions from people (and many of them are biased also), but actually there can only be one truth. The other problem of this topic is that there are so many different situations one can find themselves in and on the other hand there is not a lot of scripture explaining in detail every situation.

Except what is stated to be obvious in scripture, like if their spouse dies they are free to remarry, let's focus on the situation were one is either divorcing or being divorced and from the viewpoint of a divorced man and then of a divorced woman (there seems to be a difference mentioned in scripture).

When is remarriage OK, if at all and why or why not, in both situations of a man and a woman being divorced and being the one divorcing.

I also don't want to talk about divorce being not the will of God and that God's hates divorce, that is a given.

Please back up every comment with scripture, I don't want just your opinion, it has to be based on the word of God. Please do include if possible any cultural background information in light of scripture of the times it was written in that might help to understand the meaning of the scripture and how it applies to the current times (since the Word of God is timeless but it helps at times to know the background info). Also word studies in the original language that help to understand the meaning of a scripture in better detail than the english translation is welcome.

God bless!

I would ask if the divorced people have left the relationship on Biblical grounds. The only Biblical grounds for a divorce is adultery, without that the divorce is not Biblical. A marriage is a three way covenant between a man, a woman, and God. Just because one of the parties decides to divorce that doesn't mean that God has released that person from  the covenant. For someone to remarry they must be released from the covenant by God.

I too have been seeking the truth on this subject and gotten different opinions. I could suggest some material for your consideration if you are interested.

God does not want to hold you in bondage.

Yes, he does not want you to divorce.

Also yes, he forgives you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  309
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I'm a little confused at this point, but I have dealt with this somewhat personally and as a counselor. I don't think there are anymore scriptures than what was already said. At this point we're all acting as a supreme court and having to decide how to apply the laws we have. IMO the differences in the Bible between men and women were only because women were not yet seen as full citizens. So in the USA I apply the laws to men and women equally.

In 1 situation you ask about, both partners should have not divorced, but did. Neither should have remarried, but both did. Am I following correctly? What should they do now? If they divorce again, that's another major sin. Two major sins don't negate any previous sins, it just adds more. So I'd say if you are serious about God, you stay with this mate no matter what may come. And since David and Bathsheba are the only Biblical couple we have as an example, do not expect these new marriages to be without problems. But stop the chain of sinning.

If for some reasons all parties involved want to end the present marriages and the original husband and wife want to reconcile, I would allow it, but no more sinning after that. There is a scripture that says "sin begets sin begets sin". I have rarely seen this proven as much as with divorce and remarriage.  One or both of you have to stop the chain of sins. Even if it means staying alone until God takes you. God did not put us here to be happy, He put us here to be Holy. Let that be your guide also.

I think there are also times when God will intervene. IF you are willing to listen. Again, remember God doesn't want sins to continue. Suppose 1 person left her mate, but didn't divorce yet. A man who loved her all his life then tries to get together with her. Both are believers. Both want a marriage dedicated to God. You both pray, go to church, and discuss God often. Suddenly nothing you 2 do leads to anything good. There may not be a prophet like there was with David and Bathsheba, but it becomes obvious God isn't in favor of the 2 of you being together. I consider that to be God telling you 2 what He wants. One of you has to be strong, and don't marry.

Again, the key was God doesn’t want sins.

I also counseled a woman that was forced out of her original marriage. She was free to remarry so long as the man was also free to marry. But broken hearted she was, Satan stepped in, and sin begat sin and more sin. Another coupe divorced. Both the wife died and then the man died. It wasn't meant to be.

God often shows us what He wants, but you have to be willing to see. And of course, you always use the Bible as the written laws of God. God never wants sin. He always wants us to be Holy. Remember, to God our lives are a moment of time. He expects us to do right.

in 1 Cor ch 3 Paul talks about how what each of us do will be tested with fire. If all the works of a human burn up and become ashes that person may yet be saved, but as 1 who was burned by fire. Better to have your works not burn up. Jesus also made a statement about this. It's in Mark. I was really surprised when God made me see it. But that's how God is.

Did I miss anything?

Bathsheba husband was dead thus David was right to marry her 

Two divorced persons who are married are to separate because  both their first marriage are still binding if both their partners are still alive 

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  309

God bless!

the covenant is only broken if a mate dies and that person can only remarry someone in the Lord 

Romans 7 King James Version (KJV)

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  559
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/01/1962

God bless!

the covenant is only broken if a mate dies and that person can only remarry someone in the Lord 

Romans 7 King James Version (KJV)

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Are you aware that the "Law" was for the Jews, and came to an end? Romans seven was addressing Jewish Christians.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

We can go back and forth with scripture supporting one side or the other, yet what is not being said, or considered, is the communication between the remarried couple and God. They are the only ones who can really say what is being told to them about the situation they are in. If they are truly His child, and are seeking His will in their lives, He will speak to both of them and guide them according to the truth. Some may say that they are blinded by their desires. Others will say that sin is making them not hear right. Yet, some others may say that they know and are either obeying or rejecting what they are hearing.

It is so easy to sit back and judge with a blanket judgement, but is it the real truth we are judging with or our personal bias through our own lenses? We all have our ideas of what we feel we have been taught about what is right and what is wrong, but until we are in the specific situation being discussed, the best we can do is come up with the closest assumption of the truth.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I have followed this thread with interest.

I'd like to ask a question if I may: What if a Christian divorces an abusive spouse who also claim to be a "Christian"?

God bless,

GE

Edit: For anyone experiencing abuse please see this thread:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  653
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  03/26/1977

I'd like to ask a question if I may: What if a Christian divorces an abusive spouse who also claim to be a "Christian"?

God bless,

GE

Lets not add to scripture for justifying re doing it...

Should a slave leave the master if abusive?

1 Peter 2:18

Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336

The 1 Cor. 7:15-16 passage is the basis of my thought. If the spouse has left you and married another, was that person a believer and have they continued in the faith (he who endures to the end shall be saved). It would seem to me that if they were an unbeliever, you are free to remarry. (In such case the believing spouse is no longer bound to the other.)

The problem is that a person who has been so deeply wronged has a lot of baggage to bring into the next marriage, and will need Christian counseling quite often. Our baptist pastor married a woman who had been divorsed under such circustances. They went through years of counseling to work it all out. He also was having trouble being ordained because he had married a divorsed woman. But it was decided in favor of ordination on the basis of her innocence in the situation leaving her free to remarry.

Willa

Thanks for your reply.

The case you are talking about in Cor. is a clear case of an unbeliever leaving, so divorce is permitted here but does it automatically imply that remarriage is allowed in this circumstance? It doesn't really say. It just speaks about not being bound to the unbeliever anymore (unequally yoked) in a covenant. If combined with the scripture in Matt 5 it doesn't seem that it indicates a freedom to remarry unless there was also adultery involved with that unbelieving spouse?

To the case of the Baptist pastor, would he actually be allowed to marry a divorced woman at all? Matt 5:32 says that would be adultery as far as I understand it. Do you know how they justified that in the end? Would help to know, maybe they found something that I haven't yet?

That's actually what I was talking about in one of my prior posts, there seems to be a different standard for women than for man in case of remarriage, if scripture that is known is taken at face value without adding anything.

There is a real danger to just taking scripture at face value. It means one is ignoring context. Context is not just surrounding verses. Context includes who was the book written to and why? We see several times the phrase 'Now to the matters you asked about' or similar. That means they were asking a specific question (much like you are) and that answer applies to that question and should not be assumed to be general instruction. Also what was the culture of the time that it was written to. Were there any specific issues in that culture?

As to your question what I have never seen resolved satisfactorily is the difference between put away and divorce. There are different words used and put away seems to be putting to the side and ignoring but not giving a certificate of divorce while divorce is being given that certificate of divorce. There does seem to be some inconsistency in how words are translated. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

God bless,

GE

Lets not add to scripture for justifying re doing it...

Should a slave leave the master if abusive?

1 Peter 2:18

Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.

eh?  how can you compare a slave to marriage?  does the Bible compare a master and a slave to marriage?  nuh uh

marriage is a covenant...so...is there more then one way to break a covenant?

I will just reiterate what OneLight said 

It is so easy to sit back and judge with a blanket judgement, but is it the real truth we are judging with or our personal bias through our own lenses? We all have our ideas of what we feel we have been taught about what is right and what is wrong, but until we are in the specific situation being discussed, the best we can do is come up with the closest assumption of the truth.