• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,189
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yes giggles :) this is the heart that receives what true and eternal value is.... the things of this life grow strangely dim in

the light of the true eternal values that are in God's Heart forever :thumbsup:  To be emptied of all concern for self in the

aid of others is the freedom of blessing God gives to those who are willing to die to self and live for His Glory unto others!

Love, Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I have heard it said many times, even by folks that I consider well versed . . . . . . . money is the root of all evil.  But the actual correct way to recite it is. . . .  .

1st Tim 6:10. . . . .   For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and have pierced themselves through wit many sorrows.

Just so.  That has been expressed numerous times in this thread and I have stated that it is a heart issue. 

Arguing over and over and over that we should not strive to be wealthy is a non-issue.  As Christians we actually do know that.

It is equally wrong to point fingers at someone who is wealthy and state that they are disobedient to scripture.

I'm thinking this may be somewhat of a personal issue or struggle that has been applied with a broad brush.

You can give away every dime you have but that will not make you any more saved then someone who sits on a fortune and distributes it

according to how God leads them to.

Context has been ignored in some cases to make a point that scripture does not actually make.

Stating that everyone should just put everything into the pool and then distribute it, is NOT in scripture.   For that matter, we could argue that

scripture tells us we should not boast about what we do give away or share.  

There is not even a tithe in the NT yet people will argue that there is.  God does not tax us.  We are free to give as much or as little as we are led...some

have more than others.  

There is only one question being asked in the op and according to the Bible, it has been answered multiple times.

For the record, I am not going to argue a moot point...I see others are doing so.  Every response is basically washed over anyway, so I guess

a person can just decide for themselves what is stated in the Bible.

It has become like that arguement about eating meat offered to idols.   It reaches a point where things become an issue of control....a person believes

something so strongly they start to want to control what others think about the same issue.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Nooby......Beloved Steven

Yes giggles :) this is the heart that receives what true and eternal value is.... the things of this life grow strangely dim in
the light of the true eternal values that are in God's Heart forever :thumbsup:  To be emptied of all concern for self in the
aid of others is the freedom of blessing God gives to those who are willing to die to self and live for His Glory unto others!                         posted by enoob57

As always,for as long as I have had the pleasure & privilege yo know you,,,,my dear Brother in Christ,,,,,you continue to shine the Light of Gods Eternal Truth for all to see,God Bless you...............I have been listening to your every word and it is joyfully received I am sure many others have received Gods Timeless Truth as well ....to God be the Glory!!!!!

That is everything in a nutshell,"willing to die to SELF",,,,,,,you got it Brother,I have heard every Scripture known to man,used & taken out of context to justify selfishness & greed(I do not mean here,in this thread)...........when we can see with the eyes of our heart,we can see things clearly,eternally                God Bless you                                With love-in Christ,Kwik

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... I've been loved on :red_smile:   Thanks Sis, I will be thanking The Father for this endearing love He has so designed that

we should have one for another. Good stuffing for the heart and thanksgiving beginning early :thumbsup:  Love, Steven

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

This passage in Luke has been bothering me for a long time.

18:18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

18:19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

18:20 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.

18:21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.

18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

18:23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.

18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

18:25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Is it a sin to have money, or a lot of money? Does 18:22 give us an absolute commandment--if we have any money or property at all, are we required to give it all away? Or was Jesus just speaking to this one individual?

I was taught that being rich isn't a sin, but being stingy and hoarding wealth is, and that if you can afford to give charitably more than the 10% tithe, you should. Is that an accurate interpretation of these verses?

I noticed that Yeshua told him if he gave up his earthly wealth to benefit another in need, it made the rich young ruler “complete”.  Complete to what?  Complete in practicing the Love Yeshua was practicing in his unity with the body?  How can someone who claims to possess the love of the body, a love that is to equal Yeshua’s love for us, not lift another part of the body who is burdened also?  How can anyone who mourns the burdens of another allow the burdened one to remain in that downtrodden position?  

There are a lot of Rich people in the Bible that are faithful servant of God. Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Job, David, Solomon. All are rich and are blessed. Nothing wrong with being wealthy, how you use the wealth reflect what your relationship with God is, and that is what matters.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

There is evidence in the NT too of Christians owning property. Mary, John Mark's mom, owned a house. Philemon owned a house. Prisca and Aquilla owned a house.Acts 12:12When he realized this, he went to the house of Mary, the mother of John whose other name was Mark, where many were gathered together and were praying.Phil 1:1b-2To Philemon our beloved fellow worker; And Apphia our sister and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house:

Rom. 16:3-5Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks but all the churches of the Gentiles give thanks as well. Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert to Christ in Asia. 

God bless,

GE

I find it disconcerting that which Christ warned of in this-

Matthew 19:24-25 (KJV)

[24] And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

[25] When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

I wonder why they didn't argue with the same as some- Abraham, Job, etc. was rich? Instead it was

"who can be saved?" Love, Steven

Let's actually look at that and the verses that follow.

Here is the story...all of it, and IN context  ... no one likes being quoted out of context and yet that is what is being done here in order to make a point

Story::

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18“Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,19honor your father and mother,’c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’d ”

20“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

27Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

28Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wifee or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.

The ONLY way for salvation is through Jesus...not through giving away wealth, not through self inflicted pain or any other contrivance that the burdened soul of

mankind can fabricate.

Jesus responded to the disciples that with God salvation is possible...in other words, no matter who you are or how much money you have,

it does not matter because God Himself and God alone, makes salvation possible.  The disciples did not understand all that Jesus was saying to them but we know now,

that Jesus was the way God was making for salvation to be possible.

Jesus responded to the rich young man according to the understanding of the day and when the question was asked "Who can then be saved?"

Jesus responded that man cannot create his own salvation even by giving up everything...noble as the thought may be...HOWEVER with God,

salvation is possible.

Why?  Because there is only ONE way for salvation.  As Paul stated, it does not matter what you do, if you do not love, all your actions are as resounding brass....

in other words, meaningless.

The entire point of the conversation indicated that mankind, even at his best, can still not BUY salvation.

We are free to give it all away or we are free to use as God leads.  Either way, if done as a burden, or done to somehow impress God with our 

supposed humble stature, we still do not see that there is only one way.  It's not an easy thing to grasp because it leaves us with nothing whatsoever

we can do to earn salvation.....imagine!  Even gettting burned at the stake without God's love implanted in your heart because you understand that

salvation is a gift that you do NOTHING to earn, is worthless.

It should be noted that Abraham's faith was accounted as righteousness before God...his obedience and it was GOD who blessed Abraham

and IMO, a Christian should consider what they have as blessings from God also and if God's love is in their heart, they will not accumulate

weatlh in order to have it, but will, out of God's love in their heart, freely give as they have freely received.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Here is the story...all of it, and IN context  ... no one likes being quoted out of context and yet that is what is being done here in order to make a point

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,19honor your father and mother,’c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’d ”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

27Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

28Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wifee or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. 30But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.

What translation is this???\  

edited to add:                   Ah, I see,    you switched verses on me from the original OP that was in Luke.

Edited by other one

There is something of a depth in this one aspect of The Words teaching of wealth-

Matt 6:3

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

KJV

The only possible way this can be accomplished is that all the focus is not upon

the giving or the what of that which is given but rather it is upon the mercy of

God which translates that which He has no regard to keep into something of eternal

value that will remain in His Own Heart a glory! Thus we understand the debt of

such is in the very nature a grace not of this world and we are translated into

that place by s(S)pirit in obedience to

Col 3:1-3

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ

sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on

things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

KJV

It is the truest form of freedom God has given us to be fully invested in a value

system that does not demand the all of us in order to keep it but is kept by the

very nature of what it 'IS'... Love, Steven

What translation is this???\  

edited to add:                   Ah, I see,    you switched verses on me from the original OP that was in Luke.

sorry...wasn't paying attention to which translation was used...but that is the complete story and not just the part that has been used

to support the idea that if we don't give it all away, we won't go to heaven

checked...was a different gospel...but the story is the same in Luke and actually states there, the disciples did not understand what

Jesus was saying, which, IMO, actually lends further credence to what I wrote

The disciples did not understand any of this. Its meaning was hidden from them, and they did not know what he was talking about.

I'm really not trying to prove I'm right here, even tho by now I am sure people may be thinking that...

I don't like being told I said something I did not say, and I don't like being berated for it for 3 pages

There is something of a depth in this one aspect of The Words teaching of wealth-

Matt 6:3

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

KJV

The only possible way this can be accomplished is that all the focus is not upon

the giving or the what of that which is given but rather it is upon the mercy of

God which translates that which He has no regard to keep into something of eternal

value that will remain in His Own Heart a glory! Thus we understand the debt of

such is in the very nature a grace not of this world and we are translated into

that place by s(S)pirit in obedience to

Col 3:1-3

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ

sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on

things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

KJV

It is the truest form of freedom God has given us to be fully invested in a value

system that does not demand the all of us in order to keep it but is kept by the

very nature of what it 'IS'... Love, Steven

Enoob, why are you ignoring my post and skirting around the issue?

Seriously, you know I respect you, but from your first post to me until this one, you have either not understood what I wrote or you object to what I wrote

and at this point I am honestly not sure which it is

However, your 'proof' text in Matthew was not in context and when we look at the entire story, we see that Jesus was saying there IS

salvation WITH God...nothing to do with keeping or giving away anything

I have said over and over and over pretty much he same thing in different ways.

Here is the quote from your post 15

I love this lady as Sis... yet I am posting a slight contention in reasoning here  :)

My specific contention is why would you spend this time in piling up wealth?  or rather  what value is in the

worthless adventure of piling up what passes away forever?

Love, Steven

You have misrepresented what I have said and what I have shown from scripure from that post until now.

I have not said anywhere, nor do I agree, that anyone should pile up wealth

I sure do wish you would acknowledge that....I don't know why you took exception with my post to begin with

You are making a connection between your so called contention and my post...yet...and please really try and understand this time,

I never ever said any such thing...your contention with me is of your own making

I dislike the fact you misrepresent me, say you have a contention with what I wrote, yet,  you cannot show I ever wrote what it is

you disagree with

I get what you are writing...I don't get why you ascribe the words you disagree with, to me

I'm shaking my head over this one....for some reason you refuse to let go of the notion I said Christians should work to accumulate wealth

I simply said the Bible does not say that having money is a sin. 

As far as dying to self goes, that is actually something for another op...this op, asked one simple question

I don't appreciate being made to seem I think it is ok to accumulate possessions just for the sake of having them

And please don't dismiss what I wrote by saying I don't understand.