• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/01/1989

Wanted to test this out. I want to sell my car and get something newer when tax refunds start coming in. So this is just a test run. Idk how much I should put my car up for. 

Its a 97 Plymouth Breeze 4 cylinder, 2.0 Liter. Its great on gas. There are a couple things that needs fixed. It overheats, kind of lol. It doesn't get to the highest point and it doesn't steam unless the cap was taken off while hot. Its like the steam is trapped if that can happen. (btw, I don't know much about cars lol) You can just hear the water boiling. Its weird, I still haven't figured out what it is, and mechanics are just too pricey for me right now. There is a small oil leak. Not bad, but it is there. I don't go through a lot of oil. So, its not a huge problem, unless you want it in tip top shape.

Kelly Blue book at fair condition is a little over $1300, so I was going to put this car up for $1200 obo, and see what happens. But I really hope I get at least $1000 to put towards my new car. 

I have never sold a car before, this is my first. So, just need advice. Would any of you buy this car, and what would your offer be? Is $1200 too high? Oh, it has about 120,000 miles on it. A little more but don't remember the exact number.

1796698_640445899359653_1771406201_n.jpg

1926654_640447819359461_1501120713_n.jpg

Sorry, if this post isn't allowed. Didn't know where else to post it

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Sorry, if this post isn't allowed. Didn't know where else to post it

At first glance it does look like you were selling your car here, but it is certain you are looking for advice.

If the car is getting hot, this can cause damage internally, and may even start to warp the heads.  You really should get it looked at, or at least flushed out to clear the water passages.  The leak is more than likely ar broken gasket.  With today's engines, it is almost impossible to find where it is coming from, unless you work on them and know where to look. 

As for asking how to sell a car, I am not a good one to ask.  I usually give things away when I am done with them.  The only car I ever sold was done after I told them everything that was wrong with it and made sure they understood.  May He guide you and bless your sale.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings niki

That would be a wholesale price,niki,,,,,,,the care is in great condition except for running hot,,,,,,,with these plymouths if your head gasket was blown you would get water in the oil ,see white smoke & be dead ion road,,,,,,,most likely it is not a head gasket but you can have a hairine crack somewhere(head or block),,,,,,see if there is any oil in your water resevior,,,,,if there is you can get an overnight engine sealer(gotta take the plugs out) & you can go for a very long time and to sell it(tell the buyer of course)

There are numerous reasons wxhy a car could be running hot,your fan can be not coming on as it should,can be the belt,damaged hoses,even a faulty radiator cap because it is a sealed system,,,,,,,Radiator clog or rust,bad thermostat,,,,,the list goes on. Usually a pretty simple fix  & unadressed you could trash the engine'

The condition this car is in you can easily price it starting at $2,499.00   You should not really take less than $1,800.   Except for some minor issues with this make & model they are an easy sell....................                  

If you have an "Auto Trader" paper in your area you can run free ads(no photo) because they sell the paper & charge for color spreads,,,,,,,,sometimes they have "first time" advertiser full color free ads..................With love,Kwik  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Hi niki23 :)

Hey, my Kelly Blue book only went back to 1998. (2012 edition.)

Looked up the 4 door Plymouth Breeze for the 1998 year.

It shows me a private party sale (with you selling the car to another) at $825 for “good” condition.

And $1325 for “excellent” condition.

From your description and pics, I would lean towards the “good/excellent” condition unless there was a major engine problem.

That said, the prices that Kwik mentions are your general all around prices typically found on a used car parking lot for a vehicle like yours today that gets good gas mileage. So perhaps ask for a bit more. Also great things to look for that she mentions on car problems, looks like we have had a few similar cars in the past.

As far as the gurgling noise, it can be a many different things.

If there is no oil in your radiator water, a “flush and fill” may remove any sediment. Likely need a new thermostat as well unless it has recently been replaced.

With the 120k mileage on the car, it “may” be any number of other things. (Hope not, “other” things can be a bit pricey.)

I feel the gunking that is mentioned should be a last resort, sometimes the gunk last for 100 miles, sometimes a thousand.

Something else for all to consider, when “topping off” your radiator with water, NEVER use tap or well water except in an emergency situation. This water generally contains sediments of all kinds, including iron causing rust and sludge to build up in the vehicles engine.

Use “distilled water” that can be purchased at you grocery for under a dollar a gallon, or if you can afford it, the 50/50 radiator coolant premix .

Ive had the thermostat replaced. My grandpa thinks that it just needs to be flushed so I'm gonna go ahead and have him do that. Wouldn't hurt. The fans are working, had those checked. I've also been told that I could have a collapsed hose. I'm gonna start with the flushing and see what happens. 

This is at fair condition.... 

http://www.kbb.com/plymouth/breeze/1997-plymouth-breeze/sedan-4d/?condition=fair&vehicleid=8261&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=120000&r=827074852772057100&options=307559%7ctrue%7c307568%7ctrue&pricetype=private-party

Good...

http://www.kbb.com/plymouth/breeze/1997-plymouth-breeze/sedan-4d/?condition=good&vehicleid=8261&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=120000&r=827074852772057100&options=307559%7ctrue%7c307568%7ctrue&pricetype=private-party&persistedcondition=good

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,106
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

the two things I saw for over heating on cars when I worked with my dad in his station other than thermoststs are the fans and the water pump.

There should be two fans on the radiator.  both are two speed and they both should work all the time.  The high speed when your air conditioner is on and if the temperature sensor senses that the engine is too hot.   IF one of them isn't working or they don't go to high speed, it will cause over heating.....

The water pump can be damaged by not flushing your system.  Acids build up in the water and I've seen where they will literally eat the internal blades off the shaft in the pump.    If you get the car running when it is cold with the radiator cap off, watch it and when the thermostat opens you should see water moving down in the radiator where the cap should be.      Also if the pump is bad, the heater will not work as well as it used to or not at all.

If it gets hot and blows the water out of the system never ever put water back into the engine while the engine is overheated.  That will almost always warp the heads and sometimes can cause the block to crack.

It is rare, but the radiator itself can get stopped up inside where the water can not flow through from the top to the bottom.    The best way to check that is with an infrared thermometer......   Just get the car warned up and check the temperature at various places on the radiator and if parts of it is stopped up, that part of the radiator will be substantially cooler than the rest.   The thermometer I have costs about $30 at harbor freight if you watch for sales.    Every home should have one.....   it's good for all kinds of things  from checking water temperature to even a electrical breaker with bad points to the temperature in your oven or freezer.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Wanted to test this out. I want to sell my car and get something newer when tax refunds start coming in. So this is just a test run. Idk how much I should put my car up for. 

Its a 97 Plymouth Breeze 4 cylinder, 2.0 Liter. Its great on gas. There are a couple things that needs fixed. It overheats, kind of lol. It doesn't get to the highest point and it doesn't steam unless the cap was taken off while hot. Its like the steam is trapped if that can happen. (btw, I don't know much about cars lol) You can just hear the water boiling. Its weird, I still haven't figured out what it is, and mechanics are just too pricey for me right now. There is a small oil leak. Not bad, but it is there. I don't go through a lot of oil. So, its not a huge problem, unless you want it in tip top shape.

Kelly Blue book at fair condition is a little over $1300, so I was going to put this car up for $1200 obo, and see what happens. But I really hope I get at least $1000 to put towards my new car. 

I have never sold a car before, this is my first. So, just need advice. Would any of you buy this car, and what would your offer be? Is $1200 too high? Oh, it has about 120,000 miles on it. A little more but don't remember the exact number.

1796698_640445899359653_1771406201_n.jpg

1926654_640447819359461_1501120713_n.jpg

It could be something as simple as a badly fitting radiator cap, or one with a hole in it. When mine was boiling it was that simple to fix...