Or it was some that was written for us,

I ask this question just to clear my mind,

I belong to the type that like to pray scripturally,

Praying back God's word to Him,

motivate me alot,

Like when ever iam experiencing something that is beyond my understanding,

I always pray in line with,

Jeremiah 33:3"which says"

Call unto me,and I will answer you and show you great and might things you know nothing about,

I prayed as if that, God was telling me to called unto Him,

and it has been working for me

But somebody think or said that i was misusing that very passage,

because it was not written for me,

Do you guys think that this very person is right or wrong.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Some scripture is written giving laws and blessings to the children of Israel, which does not apply directly to the assembly of believers in Jesus. Some scripture is written giving laws and blessings to the assembly of believers in Jesus, and does not apply to children of Israel who do not believe in Jesus. Some scripture is written about people who are not children of Israel or believers in Jesus, which does not directly apply to Israel or believers. Some scripture is written to men, and some to women. Some to people who are not childrn of Israel, but are living in the land of Israel.

So, some verses do not directly apply to believers in Jesus. Believers in Jesus do not have to bring sacrifices to the Temple. Believers in Jesus were not given the land of Israel. Believers in Jesus were not scattered out of the land of Israel due to sin, so are not included in the promise to be regathered into the land of Israel.

However, all scripture is good (OT and NT) for learning.

2 Tim. 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Jeremiah 33:3 was a message from God to Jeremiah, that God planned on showing Jeremiah great things. Jeremiah was a prophet and a person God used to write scripture. So, in literal context, they was for Jeremiah, and secondly to let us know that Jeremiah heard from God so what he wrote was from God. But, in a prayer for a Christian, the NT says that we have received the Holy Spirit who will lead us into all truth. In Joel 2, it says in the end times, men and women will receive revelation by prophesy, dreams, visions, etc. So, we can expect to receive some revelation. While Jeremiah 33:3 is for Jeremiah and us, but not a direct promise to us, it is a scriptural prayer for us because elsewhere, we have promises which are similar.

I know some Christians claim the following passage and use it in prayer.

2 Chron 7:14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

That is a promise to Israel, not Christians.

The children of Israel were given land. If the children of Israel sinned against God, the potential punishment was a lack of rain, failure of crops, etc. So, the land of Israel was directly affected as a punishment for sin. To heal the land, restore rain and crops for food, the children of Israel were to humble themselves and pray, seek God and repent, and God would remove the punishment, and forgive their sin. Christians do not have land given by God, and would not be punished by hurting their land. While Christians, if they sin, should pray and turn to God, their sin is forgiven based on Jesus death and resurrection. Since Christians have no land, are not punished for in by crop failure, there is no promise from God to heal land.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

the whole bible was written for you and none of it was written for you! Especially in the NT the letters were written to a specific group in a specific culture for specific situations as well as general situations. So in that sense it was not written for you. However when you understand the context which not only includes the surrounding passage but also the whole book and the culture of the time and why it was being written etc then we can still learn lessons from it and I believe the bible speaks on every single topic even if it does not mention the topic by name. So in that sense yes it is written for you. Qnts2 also explained it well.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

when reading the bible, it is vital to keep several things in mind:

-who is speaking? - God or man; and if man, is that man speaking for God or speaking out of his own unbelief (such as most of what job and his friends said in the book of Job)

-who is being spoken to? - people under the law of performance (such as the OT people of israel) or people under the law of faith in grace, or just lost people who don't know God

-what is the context or subject?  many have errored by taking an individual scripture out of context and interpreting it in a way that conflicts with the context or subject that 'surrounds' that scripture.

-does the interpretation of a given scripture harmonize with the whole of scripture, including the law of faith in His grace?

Jer 33:3 KJV
(3)  Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.

God is speaking here

God is speaking to someone who is yielded to Him and under the law of performance rather than the law of faith in His grace

the context or subject is both the captivity of Israel and Jeremiah's own captivity

does this harmonize with the law of faith in grace of the NT?  would God refuse to show you great and mighty things if you do not call on Him?

1Co 2:9-10 KJV
(9)  But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
(10)  But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

God certainly sees that you desire to receive revelations that He has already given to you, and He rewards the intent of your heart much more so than your choice of words; but a better prayer might be 'thank You Father God that You have made Your wisdom available to me, and that You have faith in me that i will receive it - i agree with You'.  you see, you called on Him when you sought Him for salvation; now you're in the mode of receiving what He has already given to you as a grace-minded person of 'like precious faith' with Peter versus a performance-minded person such as Jeremiah:

2Pe 1:1-4 KJV
(1)  Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
(2)  Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
(3)  According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
(4)  Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I believe ALL the Bible is for us...even the part about the Kings of Israel. God is sovereign and though some is history, we learn from man's actions and response to God and the resulting consequence..just how we need to act.

Jerry, I believe that God wants us to hold Him to His promises...whether to Israel or gentile. There are a great many promises in the Old Testament that He made to His people and we are the sheep of His pasture. The Psalms are full of His promises. Use them in prayer...Father Youmsaid in Your Holy Word...... Yet not my will but Thine be done.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Was all the bible written for us,

Or it was some that was written for us,

I ask this question just to clear my mind,

I belong to the type that like to pray scripturally,

Praying back God's word to Him,

motivate me alot,

Like when ever iam experiencing something that is beyond my understanding,

I always pray in line with,

Jeremiah 33:3"which says"

Call unto me,and I will answer you and show you great and might things you know nothing about,

But somebody think or said that i was misusing that very passage,

because it was not written for me,

Do you guys think that this very person is right or wrong.

I believe that person is wrong, the bible is for all of us.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,225
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi Jerry,

The Bible is Father God`s word written to specific people & groups concerning Jesus. However He made it possible that everyone could eventually read it. It is for us - but not all about us. It`s focus is Jesus, His character & His Purposes. Keep Him central & we will take the focus off ourselves. You said you like to pray scripturally, but obviously there are parts that you wouldn`t pray - Judas, killings, etc etc however if you pray to God concerning His character (a lot of detail in the psalms) then you will encourage your heart as you pray.

Marilyn.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  5

And that's what counts, the Word of God works in many positive ways in our lives, whether a passage is directed to a specific person or to us directly. I think you're doing the right thing...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

God bless you all for looking into my post,I appreciate all the contribution,

I have been praying scripturally,

and it has been working for me,

And i believed that,the scripture was written,so that through it,i will understand who my heaven Father Is,

My faith is center on God, true His word,

I think i totally disagreed with some of Qnst2, comment"

If my people are called by my Name,

Who are the people of God?

The bible said that,as many that are lead by the spirit of God,

they are the sons of God,

God is all about faith,

What we believe is powerful,

I believed that the bible is the word of God,

And it is written for my own good,

i don't know for others,if they concur with me,

In many ccasion, I has receieved a passage of bible in a dreamed,

And mostly,they are all in line with what i was asking God to do for me,

Any time iam trying to misbehave,

God always speaks to me tru His word,

and once i finish reading the passage,

suddenly i will change my mind,from what i was planing to do before,

I will realize that what i was planing to do is against the will of God for me life,

All the entired christian race is center on the word of God.

Why then said they are not written for us,

I always believed that any time i post or i asked a question on this site,

I will surely get the answer,

Sometime out of many replies,

one or two will bring peace to my mind,

As the Holy Spirit Act upon the Word of God,

So iam also empwered to prayed in line with the word of God,

And God has been answering me.

I only asked to clear my mind,

my bible tells me not to lean on my own understanding,

because in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Worthy Christian Forum,

Is a gift from God to me.

I took worthy as my serminar school,and also as my spiritual godfather.

Iam always greatful to God,for directing me to this site,

As He told me in His word,

I will instruct you and direct you the way you should go,and I will guide you with my counselling/eye.

Psalm 32:8"

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/24/1975

Amen brother.

You pray the word and read it and absorb it, don't worry about opinions. 

The word of God will never return void and your faith is not unfounded.

All scripture, means just that  be at peace and walk out your life according to the word not people's opinions. So much confusion offered in this thread. 

You got it though.

God bless you as you continue to seek him

-Will

Edited by Will M