IGNORED

What's your favorite Bible translation, and why?

Blue Moon

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  257
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1959

The history of the Textus Receptus is enough for me to doubt it is the best way to go.  Using multiple manuscripts to compare and contrast is better than using one man's hasty translation to Greek. 

I personally use the ESV and the NASB for basic reading.  The computer and portable devices have made the days of needing a single copy of the Bible obsolete.  Now in the click of a button I can see what 5 different version have to say and why.  More knowledge is always a good thing.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/24/1975

Amplified Bible.

I like knowing what the scriptures mean.

God bless you as you continue to see Him

-Will

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/28/1989

I like checking online favorite bible verses and do it constantly and usually my favorite translations always end up being ESV, American Standard or King James. I believe God will certainly reveal wisdom and truth to anyone seeking him through reading the bible. Whether the bible was translated using a word for word method, a thought for thought method, or a paraphrasing method, it's gods word! We're blessed to live at this time when we have all these options, and can almost always find the perfect version for any person! Each translation can touch hearts like no other was able to! As a preteen trying to read a King James bible for the first time given to me from my dad, I ended up giving up believing I just couldn't understand it. I tried reading it for over a year, rereading the same chapters and verses over and over and over again lol! I had no idea there were other versions and never asked my dad questions for some reason. Then while at Mardels with my mom more than a year after giving up on reading the bible, I went to the book section right next to the bible section and just glancing over the shelves of bibles noticed a sign "NEW LIVING TRANSLATION". I remember thinking something like what the heck kind of translation is that for a bible lol. Anyway I got it and thanks to the new living version I've never put a bible down! Thanks to being teen friendly and modern, I accepted Jesus and believed! Basically what I am saying to anyone putting down other versions, stop it! Lol just recommend your favorite and forget the bashing, thank you!! Haha. Hopefully I've convinced you!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I use e-sword as my preferred downloaded bible. Many of the bibles and commentaries and books you can download free, including the KJV and ESV. You can compare verses, look at the Hebrew meaning, etc. And its verse search engine is fast and accurate.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

E-sword is great Fez!  I learned of it here at Worthy.  

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

And I like to remind people Keith, that most of the modern translations are not from the same manuscripts the KJV is from.  As a matter of fact, they use two manuscripts that leave out portions of the text that appear in nearly all other manuscripts.  Where you begin when you start translating matters, and I would rather use a translation that begins with the Textus Receptus, than one that begins with the Egyptian and Alexandrian manuscripts. 

And yet, it's still a "version" and not infallible, perfect or inspired.  That's all I'm saying.

• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Just a friendly reminder, this thread is about what people's favorite versions of the Bible are.  It's not a debate about which version is "best."

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,135
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

I actually have three - ESV, NKJV, and NASB (95). However, my regular go-to translation is the ESV. I use the NKJV in church, because that's what my pastor uses. I used the NASB for years, and I just can't let it go. :mgcheerful:  These are my favorites because I prefer the more literal translations. My personal opinion is that the more you move toward dynamic equivalence, the more subjective the translation becomes regarding interpretation. And I just place more confidence in the word-for-word translation.

Good choices. But the BEST version should come to be your own. Study out the most critical verses in the original languages, using as many helps as you need, and start filling up your Bible(s) with your own notes. Then begin working on less critical verses.

You will be amazed at how rapidly your understanding of biblical nuances will grow. And how the biblical authors actually thought in non-English.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Just a friendly reminder, this thread is about what people's favorite versions of the Bible are.  It's not a debate about which version is "best."

Thank you, Keith. I started this thread simply to discuss your favorite translations, not to provide a soapbox as to why your version is the best and others are inferior. If you want to debate the merits and fallacies of the Textus Receptus (which the KJV is based upon), then please make your posts on another thread or start your own. Thank you.

Also, thank you very much to everyone who has posted with their favorite translations. It's very interesting to see people's favorites.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Mkjv, nkjv, nasb, esv, kjv, septuagint, a greek orthodox study bible and Ive started using tree of life bible. I dont know how good that last one is. For now, Im just comparing it. 

Wow I didnt realize how many I use lol. I often compare verses between those versions.