IGNORED

Do Jews Tithes Today? Should Christians?

firestormx

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi firestormx,

Tithing is a tenet of the Law. The Law is a covenant between God and the nation of Israel. Christians relate to God under a New Covenant – of grace not law. That means there is no explicit list of rules and requirements for Christians to adhere to – since we have the Holy Spirit to guide into righteousness. Note that the fruit of the Spirit (i.e. outcomes of the Spirit’s influence) are not explicit laws (Galatians 5:22-23, Ephesians 5:9).

Tithing is a difficult issue because, even though it is an explicit obligation under Law (to which Christians are dead to - Romans 7:6, Galatians 2:19), there is no law against tithing. Nevertheless, if one tithes as to law (as though obligated), then they are “debtor to keep the whole law” (Galatians 5:3, see also Galatians 3:10, James 2:10).

Romans 10:3-4

For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

So it is perfectly fine for a Christian to choose to give a freewill offering to God of a tenth of their income (as did Abraham before the Law – Genesis 14:18-20). But if a Christian sees tithing as making them more committed, more mature, more deserving of God’s favour, more righteous, or in some sense more approved before God than those who don’t tithe, then that Christian is treating tithing as a Law – and in so doing, undermining the cross of Christ.

Galatians 2:21

21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

Galatians 5:1-3

5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Wow, thanks to everyone for the responses. I've been on this site for a while and it's rare for this many people to agree. I guess that should tell me something.Thanks again to everyone for the comments and verses.

God Bless

Firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The law is not made for the righteous as the righteous don't need a law to tell them what to do with their money. A righteous person doesn't need to be told how much of their income need go to them that teach them or provide a place for worship and gathering.

When I give money to anything I am placing a value on the object I am giving too. If God has given me nothing then shall I return nothing unto him. God gives to me through others. From some wisdom yet others knowledge or understanding. I stand prepared to show my appreciaation of such things through voluntary monitary contributions if necessary. I am also willing to receive from the hand of the one who is moved to give for my ministering unto them.

Love demands that I give at times yet cpmmands me not to give at others. There is no law written in the new testament concerning specific percentages and any who twist the scriptures to say their is are being mislead.

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

Teaching on tithing is not greed-based.   Usually teaching on money that is greed-based calls for Christians to plant large "money seeds"  in a preacher's own coffers.   Your financial freewill giving should stay in your church.

Tithing is not required.  It is not wrong to tithe and it is not wrong to not tithe.   Christians should give based on how they are led in terms of the amount. 

10% is a good benchmark and is a good practice, but no one should be made to feel they are slave to that.

What you say I believe to be true. But I myself have heard many of pastors preach that tithing your 10% is indeed a command from God. Also I have heard pastors say that if you do not tithe, then God will punish you financially or will not bless your finances. In fact being told that God will punish me financially is the very thing that caused me to began questioning  the church's teachings on tithing.   And these were not tv pastors saying this stuff. It was pastors in the church I was attending every Sunday. It bothers me greatly that people are being told that God demands their 10%. That punishment awaits you if you do not give.  Or worst yet, that you are not obeying God by not giving your 10 %. I too would like to know how pastors of churches justifies this teaching when to me the Bible says something different. It has been taught in every church that I have ever attended. I do not understand.

Guest Butero

Teaching on tithing is not greed-based.   Usually teaching on money that is greed-based calls for Christians to plant large "money seeds"  in a preacher's own coffers.   Your financial freewill giving should stay in your church.

Tithing is not required.  It is not wrong to tithe and it is not wrong to not tithe.   Christians should give based on how they are led in terms of the amount. 

10% is a good benchmark and is a good practice, but no one should be made to feel they are slave to that.

What you say I believe to be true. But I myself have heard many of pastors preach that tithing your 10% is indeed a command from God. Also I have heard pastors say that if you do not tithe, then God will punish you financially or will not bless your finances. In fact being told that God will punish me financially is the very thing that caused me to began questioning  the church's teachings on tithing.   And these were not tv pastors saying this stuff. It was pastors in the church I was attending every Sunday. It bothers me greatly that people are being told that God demands their 10%. That punishment awaits you if you do not give.  Or worst yet, that you are not obeying God by not giving your 10 %. I too would like to know how pastors of churches justifies this teaching when to me the Bible says something different. It has been taught in every church that I have ever attended. I do not understand.

What is not to understand?  They read the passage in Malachi and see it as an eternal truth.  Some refer to how Abraham tithed before the law was given.  I would say that many Christians believe it is a command.  I am personally undecided on it.  I do think there are some who don't believe it is really a command, but teach this in order to be able to keep money coming in to the church treasury.  If nobody gives, how can they operate?  I am not sure if it is a commandment, but it is a good idea to tithe, and I do believe God will bless those who do. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

I do not think that anyone is saying do not give money to the church. That is not what I am saying. Reread my post. I did not say people should not give. My comment is about the way it is being teached.

Thank you to everyone that has posted. After all my study and prayer I am really beginning to believe that scripture teaches us to give but that tithes is not a command from God for us Today. If the Jews whom are under law Can't tithe because it would be sin, then how is not also a sin for us if we choose to follow the same laws on tithe? Thanks again to all that have posted. I think I have found my answers but by all means continue the conversation.

P.S. yes I know we not under Law but Grace.

God Bless

Firestormx

Joseph

I completely understand your post. I was thinking a lot along these same lines when I began studying on this issue. 

Guest Butero

I just noticed what you said to me LadyKay.  I know you weren't saying people shouldn't give.  I am not even taking sides against you.  As I said, I am undecided on whether or not we are required to tithe, and whether or not we fall under a curse if we don't.  I think it is just one of those things where you can have genuine disagreement, because it is not plain enough to be sure. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I've been doing some study on tithes and I am beginning to think Christians should not tithe. The Old testament say only a Levite could accept the tithes. Also it says if I'm not mistaken that there has to be a temple in Jerusalem for tithes to be required. There is no teaching changing this in the New testament that I am aware of. So why does everyone teach we have to pay tithes if even the Jews don't pay tithes right now?

I was hoping someone could explain this for me. Also I am putting a link down below to an example of some of the articles I've been reading in addition to the reading and studying the bible and prayer.

http://www.askelm.com/tithing/thi003.htm

Firestormx

First of all, it is rather chintzy to expect all the expenses for a congregational meeting place to be paid for so we and usin's can park our do-less carcasses in padded pews every Sunday at no expense. Mortgage / rent, heating / lighting / cooling / plumbing, paving the parking lot, not to mention ministerial staffing.

I don't know how many times cheap skates have latched onto my arguments against the mandate of Christian tithing to justify not sharing in the expenses of their weekly worship at the Church organization of their preference. For shame!

If you worship at a Church organization, you should at least cover your own costs. Most wouldn't dream of not paying their way in just about any other venue. But somehow Church services are the exception.

Now that having been said, the reason tithing is not New Covenant / New Testament has to do with the same reason the New Testament / New Covenant is not a continuation of the Old Covenant / Old Testament.

BUT!

This tends to be a can of worms most do not want to even consider opening because the biggest reason most buy into the modern  version of Judaizing (bringing the Old Covenant into the New) is because they believe it somehow exempts them from responsibility and duty to the God who saved them. Part-time Christianity, put on your blinders, plug up your ears, come to organized Church services, shut up in Church, sing on key, pay your tithes, maybe volunteer to help around the church organization building and go about your worldly life the rest of the time.

That's not Christianity.

Christianity is the Church organism not the Church organization. Christianity is the priesthood of every believer not of just a traditional cast or course. Laity is not a biblical word.

1 Peter 2:3–11 (AV)

3If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

4To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,

5Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

6Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

7Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

10Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

11Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

Revelation 1:6 (AV)

6And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Revelation 5:10 (AV)

10And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

God intended this to be true even in the Old Covenant...

Exodus 19:6 (AV)

6And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

But because of the evil that took place in Exodus 32 God reduced this to the tribe that came to Moses' aid. His own tribe the Levites. To them due to their reduced inheritance were tithes paid not once but three times a year.