aussie_musician

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

People can become addicted to pain medication after taking them for 3 weeks.A good doctor will wean their patient off of them before this happens and prescribe something that is not addictive.There is a difference in dependence and addiction.Many become alcoholics because they are trying to self medicate themselves because their is an underlying mental illness.Nicotine is very effective for anxiety.Ask anyone who smokes and most people will tell you that is how they manage their anxiety.Many people drink a lot of coffee because it gives them a lift.Why do they need that constant lift and stimulation?I am talking about addictions not just trying it a couple of times and experimenting with it.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

just to clarify .. I'm not talking about prescription drugs ..

I'm talking about illicit drugs ..

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

But most prescription pain meds can be sold on the street I am told for a handsome price!! So I guess I see not mush difference. Percodan, percoset OxyContin heroin, not much difference except some Dr's will give scripts to anyone who comes. Pain can lead to dependance from any street procurer if one has become addicted.

I have always wondered why some are more suseptible to addiction is it the same with hypnosis?? Is there a commonality between the two? Or is it character??

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

why do people take drugs ??

all I hear is that people get addicted to them ..

I never hear of why they take drugs in the first place ..

does a person get addicted for the sake of it ??

to me that seems stupid ..

a person can't get addicted to something unless its enticing .. true ..

I was addicted to the PS2 that my father gave me for my birthday one time .. although not a drug .. its an analogy of my question ..

When I was an earl teenager, I was drawn quickly to drugs because I wanted something to change the way I felt. I grew up under alot of abuse and struggled with constant depression. Drugs were a way to feel something different. When I was introduced to Crystal Meth at the age of 15, that quickly became my drug of choice. It felt mellow but amazing peace. On it, your house could burn down and everything could be going wrong but you still would feel peace, it also made you focus on things for hours. When I was crashing, it felt like death gave me a hug, but when I was on it I felt more alive than ever. That is how drugs quickly get people hooked, the feeling of estacy and an escape from the problems of life.

When I was 18 I moved to WV from CA to get off probation early.  When I got to WV, I tried finding meth but couldn't. I went through some hard withdrawals, mood swings every few minutes. One night I broke down and started shouting at God question after question about things I blamed Him for. The next day my sister made me go to Church. It was my first experience in a more Charismatic Church. During the worship, I started feeling this love, peace, and joy wash over me, then something inside me rise up and I felt hatred towards it. I started hearing my thoughts, but they weren't my thoughts say, "I will not give my life to Jesus!" Then, the lady on the worship team locked eyes with me and spoke something in tongues. When ever she said caused me to tremble under this intense presence and I was in snot and tears. All the anger left, I was undone. I ran to the front to give my life to Jesus. 

A month goes by and my sister found marijuana seeds in my room and kicks me out of the house. I ended up moving into a house that was a 24-7 party house. Every night was a crazy party, there was a constant supply of weed, alcohol, and cocaine. I would get high, but something was different. I no longer could be satisfied with drugs. I used to get high and be at peace, but now  I just felt more depressed. I realized drugs are a counterfeit for the presence of God. About a year of drugs, it no longer satisfied like God's presence so I quit. This was about 11 years ago.

I am convinced that drugs are a counterfeit to the presence of God. That peace that surpasses all understanding, that is what people are searching for in drugs. That can only come from the presence of God. Now, I witnesses to drug addicts on the streets all the time and one thing I love to do is to take their hand and pray for the peace of God to fill them. Alot of times, they will end up feeling higher on God than drugs could ever get them.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

It is all about escaping reality.  Escaping reality is not limited to drugs (think of television, movies, books, etc.), but that is the fundamental reason.  Alcohol, tobacco and caffeine are drugs also, but perfectly legal.  Why?  Governments make huge revenues from drugs.  And the "war on drugs" is a complete disaster.

We should also recognize that behind drugs we have a vast array of spirit beings bent on destroying human souls. There is no question that they have a hand in drug addiction.  Shamanism and the occult are connected to drugs also.  The answer, as always, is God and Christ, since ultimately this is a spiritual battle. There is a correlation between the general rejection of the authority of the Bible and the rise of the drug culture in North America, along with occultism and the New Age movement.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings aussie_musician

Whether drugs are prescribed by a doctor,purchased illegally on the street, manufactured in ones basement,garage or grown in the yard they are still "drugs" and drugs ,when abused can be highly addictive because it leads to a physical (& mental) dependency..............it almost never starts out that way but almost always ends up that way.......it may start out from curiosity,peer pressure,an ailment or many different reasons but most assuredly as some have already stated,looking to fix something or fill a void

There is no doubt that drugs can be beneficial & I do not doubt that God gave man the ability & know how to make medicines(drugs)as a way to help us but not that we should rely on drugs & not Him ...........I went through bouts with cancer,I live with pain and have been prescribed many pain medications but I opt not to take them if I can help it,sometimes I must resort to taking these drugs when it becomes too much to bear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,everyday I wait with great expectation to be completely healed & free from pain,in the meantime I thank God that He has given us scientific knowledge

But,drugs are drugs,,,,,,just because I have a prescription does not  allow me to drive a car  under the influence.......and I do hope that anyone taking prescription drugs will use good judgement doing the same.................                             With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

There are many reasons why people take drugs, one common reason is to escape reality due to too much hurt in life. They become addicted because that's what drugs do to the body and mind. But it isn't something God can't cure. The best natural drug I ever felt is the Holy Spirit and it's ok to get addicted to it...

Amen brother, nothing like the presence of the Holy Spirit.  When He is with you, and you can feel it, you want to stay there with Him forever.  Gives me the shivers now.  

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I was addicted to the PS2 that my father gave me for my birthday one time .. although not a drug .. its an analogy of my question ..

What is PS2?

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

What is PS2?

PS2 = Play station two, a home video game  console. 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1982

yes .. that's what a PS2 is ..

sorry .. I thought most people would know that ..

I haven't played it for years .. don't really need to anyway ..

Josh .. in regards to the withdrawals .. did you have control of them or feel you were .. or just let them happen ??

did you do something else when they occurred ??