IGNORED

Faith and Firearms: Should Christians Own Guns?

Guest shiloh357

Bible2,

It should be pointed out that pacifism is a secular, not a biblical concept.   The Bible doesn't teach pacifism. Pacifists aren't necessarily Christians.   People  like you  try to take an ungodly, fleshly, worldly concept like pacifism and pencil it into the Bible.  You have a very sloppy handling of Scripture

In WW2 it was not the case that both thought God was on their side. Hitler wasn't a Christian.   Nazism wasn't a Christian movement.   So you're going to make the case that even if Hitler had made it here, the right thing to do is capitulate and simply allow ourselves to be slaughtered???   

You believe the best response to evil people is just let them conquer the world and slaughter everyone???    That is not Christianity.   That is just cowardice.  You twist and pervert the Bible to justify your cowardice.

People like you only embolden evil and create more victims of evil.  There is nothing biblical about that.   You the kind of people ensure that evil thrives and prospers and innocent people pay the price for their lives.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Not from scripture but wise words nevertheless:

Pacifism is objectively pro-Fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side you automatically help that of the other

George Orwell

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

shiloh357 said in post 41:

Human beings are inherently evil.

And even Christians can be inherently susceptible to propaganda, so that they are lulled into thinking a war is a "just war" when in fact it isn't at all. Look at the American Civil War, for example. Both sides truly believed God was on their side. Christians slaughtered Christians in the name of God, when in fact it was just for political power. Same during the wars during the Reformation and Counter-Reformation: Catholic Christians slaughtered Protestant Christians, and Protestant Christians slaughtered Catholic Christians, all in the name of Christ.

Same during World War II. Both sides in Europe truly believed God was on their side. British Christians slaughtered German Christians, and German Christians slaughtered British Christians, and both sides truly believed their cause was just.

And even if Hitler had managed to defeat Britain and to hold off Stalin, and to make it to American shores with an army. Should American Christians really have taken up arms against German Christians, most of whom were deceived by Hitler into thinking what they were doing was a good thing, and who would have been instantly shot by the Gestapo if they laid down their arms in the name of Christ and peace between Christians?

That's another irrelevance. You're saying that because because both sides believe that God is on their side then we shouldn't fight. That's like me refusing to defend myself from somebody who is trying to kill me because he thinks that God is on his side too.

As for World War 2, you have a man who 'thugs' his way into power, stomps unprovoked all over the rest of Europe and then starts throwing Jews into concentration camps - but according to you we shouldn't stop him because he might think that God is on his side as well, and we could be wrong if we think that God is on ours.

If you don't know whether your own battle is justified in God's eyes or not, then you don't know God and you can't spot evil when you see it!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I always find it interesting to listen to people rationalize justify and minimize. Amazing to watch character assassination because others see a flaw in your theology. Attacks and accusations flying around belittling others.

I get it. When one falls short on being able to answer anothers inquiry then distractions are an easy tool to cover up ones inability to prove their case.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Gdemoss I don't think anyone attacked anyone. There is a difference between saying your wrong and your an imbicile.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, c and especially for those of his household, d he has denied the faith e and is worse than an unbeliever.

Matt 24:42-43

43 "But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into.

NASB

How can you be sure to provide and protect your family unless you are the meanest person alive, and how are you going to stop the thief if he's much larger, stronger and faster than you.....   but you are expected to protect your things.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, c and especially for those of his household, d he has denied the faith e and is worse than an unbeliever.

Matt 24:42-43

43 "But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into.

NASB

How can you be sure to provide and protect your family unless you are the meanest person alive, and how are you going to stop the thief if he's much larger, stronger and faster than you..... but you are expected to protect your things.

Sam, this is an excellent example of using the NT to develop a position that defends the point of view that a man os expected to physically defend his family against intruders into the home. It could support such a position or it could not. I consider the context of what is being said as a whole and look at the illustration. I can't be certain that this is what is being said by the text. Protecting our houses when it comes to the Lord visiting has to do with instruction in righteousness and death to self rather than bearing arms.

The matthew 24 passage speaks of us keeping watch over his house. When he comes we are rewarded for how well we have done. He is the one spoken of that comes as a theif. So when he comes we are to meet him with firearms? Doesn't make sense.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I give up.......   and I'll hold my thoughts from here.....

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Gdemoss, Matthew 24 speaks of Jesus second return and has absolutely no bearing on the topic at hand. It is not dealing with defending ones home from an intruder. Obviously none of us are going to shoot Jesus when He returns. That is taking scripture out of context, with no other goal then to make it say what you want it to, and in my experience if you have to do that then its time to re evaluate what you believe on said subject.

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

Just a reminder....debate the subject..not call out others and make it personal. Please? I really do hate to lock or close a thread when the discussion is going well....but getting personal.