• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Gossip is self-promotion.

Slander is self-righteousness.

If we go below the surface stories, we find that gossip is more about self-promotion. "Look what I know", "see how wise I am", " a friend told me...". etc.

Slander is more about self-righteousness. "I'll show you who is right", "I'll judge you as wrong - and tell everybody too," "I will revenge my pride", etc.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.07
  • Days Won:  78

So all that we see on the news on Fox,CNN etc is either gossip or slander?

Yep.  :lightbulb2:

So I guess that a Christian should not read the news any longer because it is gossip and gossip is a sin.

I don't think we need to stop listening to the news (we have to know what's going on in the world) but I don't think we should endlessly repeat iffy news reports.  I think we know what is slanderous when we hear it, as believers.  It's a fine line to walk, bopeep. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  481
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/08/1959

This news is propaganda designed to beat you down and cause you to lose heart. We don't get to hear "what's going on in the world." We get to hear what "tHEy " want us to hear.

All of the liberal controlled news agencies are worthless.

And this is aside from the gossip/slander subject. But the news is chocked full of secret agenda's and lies. Propaganda.

So does propaganda fall under either of these two categories?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

So all that we see on the news on Fox,CNN etc is either gossip or slander?

Yep.  :lightbulb2:

So I guess that a Christian should not read the news any longer because it is gossip and gossip is a sin.

I don't think we need to stop listening to the news (we have to know what's going on in the world) but I don't think we should endlessly repeat iffy news reports.  I think we know what is slanderous when we hear it, as believers.  It's a fine line to walk, bopeep. 

I think a news report that looks iffy needs to be investigated.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

This news is propaganda designed to beat you down and cause you to lose heart. We don't get to hear "what's going on in the world." We get to hear what "tHEy " want us to hear.

And this is aside from the gossip/slander subject. But the news is chocked full of secret agenda's and lies. Propaganda.

prop·a·gan·da
ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
noun

derogatory
information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

Gossip is self-promotion.

Slander is self-righteousness.

If we go below the surface stories, we find that gossip is more about self-promotion. "Look what I know", "see how wise I am", " a friend told me...". etc.

Slander is more about self-righteousness. "I'll show you who is right", "I'll judge you as wrong - and tell everybody too," "I will revenge my pride", etc.

prop·a·gan·da
ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
noun

derogatory
information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

Propaganda is self-promotion. so it is more in line with gossip, but the gossip can contain slander, which is self-righteousness. 

If it contains slander, then it is self-righteousness supporting self-promotion. 

It is ALL self-exploitation to validate our false-self. To validate our so-called important role in the worldly view. It is valuing our worldly-self above our spirit-self. 

The exercise is both folly and vane.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Leviticus 19:16 You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life of your neighbor: I am the LORD.

Proverbs 11:13 Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.

Proverbs 20:19 Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with a simple babbler.

Proverbs 26:20-22 For lack of wood the fire goes out, and where there is no whisperer, quarreling ceases.  As charcoal to hot embers and wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife. The words of a whisperer are like delicious morsels; they go down into the inner parts of the body.

Jeremiah 6:28 They are all stubbornly rebellious, going about with slanders; they are bronze and iron;  all of them act corruptly.

Jeremiah 9:4 Let everyone beware of his neighbor, and put no trust in any brother, or every brother is a deceiver, and every neighbor goes about as a slanderer. 

Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/gossip-bible-verses-15-helpful-quotes/#ixzz3cNYCjz55

I stopped paying much attention to our local newspaper because it was so one sided and undependable. Whenever I knew the facts personally, the news got it wrong. They are politically correct which I consider most often to be incorrect. So why bother if it only raises my blood pressure. I quit taking the newspaper 40 years ago when I stopped watching soap operas.

Worthy news tends to be more reliable, I believe.

However, todays news is yellow journalism or propaghanda, in my opinion. It is intended to sway opinion and be sensational rather than to report facts.

And social media is mostly gossip. Even the videos don't tell the whole story.

It is much more peaceful to stick my head in the sand but I always give in to the temptation to peek and see what is going on.

Bing-Banga-BOOM!

I'll bet, given you're habits, you're much less distracted by error also.

There are still sources available where Christian peoples can get real news and keep up with what's important. But it's not as readily available as NBC, MSNBC, CBS, ABC and NPR. ALL of these news sources are government controlled and little more than propaganda machines.

I do believe Worthy News is a great source for real news with real facts and from a Christian perspective. The Jerusalem Post and Fox News are also accurate outlets with the stories you'll never hear elsewhere that are relevant to our realities. There are others I'm sure, but with these I am familiar.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

Ok I can't get it out of my head that I lost a job a couple of years ago. It's really hurting me money wise, even though I got another job. I had to take a huge pay cut. The manager kept going to the owner telling him every little thing I did. Some were lies, and some was truth, but the truth was added with exaggeration, Which made what I did worse, Which what I did was no different then other people, It wasn't a big deal. Is that slander if someone exaggerates.

Ok I can't get it out of my head that I lost a job a couple of years ago. It's really hurting me money wise, even though I got another job. I had to take a huge pay cut. The manager kept going to the owner telling him every little thing I did. Some were lies, and some was truth, but the truth was added with exaggeration, Which made what I did worse, Which what I did was no different then other people, It wasn't a big deal. Is that slander if someone exaggerates.

Yes Sir.