• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1965

I believe that a 15 yr old who goes to church since he or she was born is more of an elder than a 50 yr old who has become a christian for a year.

a child of 15 lets say, dies , BUT has given his whole 15 yrs on this earth praising  the Lord and worshipping the Lord  since the very first breath they have taken in life MUST be more of an elder than someone new to christianity whos older.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

I feel this is a matter that should be taken up with the church. I can not say you are right or wrong. It is a church matter as most churches have their own rules concerning what age a person needs to be to do this or that in the church.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I believe that a 15 yr old who goes to church since he or she was born is more of an elder than a 50 yr old who has become a christian for a year.

a child of 15 lets say, dies , BUT has given his whole 15 yrs on this earth praising  the Lord and worshipping the Lord  since the very first breath they have taken in life MUST be more of an elder than someone new to christianity whos older.

No one is a Christian from birth. Despite that fact, there is no such thing as a hierarchy in the Body of Christ, nor a greater or a lesser in the Kingdom in the temporal life we live now. Age or length of time as a Christian has nothing to do with spiritual maturity.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

A younger beiliever lets say 25 years old in the Lord which has been added to a church after they got saved can have the spiritual maturity to serve as an elder in a church and be more qualified than a person who may be older in age than them. For this young believer could have the testimony of good character as he has been faithful for ten years ministering to the needs of the saints and laboring in love for the sake of the gospel and is only 25 years old.

Then their is a 43 year old person who has gotten saved and added to the church and this person whom may be older in age doesn't have such a testimony among the saints he has character flaws and it shows in his conduct.

The true elder in the Lord would be the younger in this example and is the true overseer (elder) of the flock as he takes the oversight and watches the flock of God not "lording" it over them but because he cares for God's children.

An older person in age in the church does not neccessarily mean they have more spiritual maturity and wisdom than a younger person in the Lord. The natural elders in our earthly families or the older people being older than us in this natural life and have lived longer lives than we have. Can and do help us along the way through their experience in life.

But it's different in the family of God as our spiritual elders watch for our souls and that is not determined souly on an older believers than what we are. I have known older believers in the Lord and older people than me in the world to be foolish in their counsel and advice and I would not listen to them as a result of knowing the word of God and the counsel in which the bible gives me in living a godly life. Reminded of the words appostle Paul said to young Timothy which was, "to let no man despise thy youth" as Timothy was a young pastor.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  565
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

No one is a Christian from birth. Despite that fact, there is no such thing as a hierarchy in the Body of Christ, nor a greater or a lesser in the Kingdom in the temporal life we live now. Age or length of time as a Christian has nothing to do with spiritual maturity.

Yes i agree age is never a judge of spiritual maturity.

However, i do believe that in most cases, a 50 year old is likely to be more experienced than a 15 year old. The journey to spiritual maturity is much faster for a physically matured person than a child or teenager.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Paul sets out the requirements for eldership....though not always followed ..that should be the measurement.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  08/05/1965

my friend i went to school with , she is 49 now. but when i was 7 yrs old  she was a true blue christian and through the years of seeing her i knew shed make her mark serving the Lord. she studied hard ,went to bible school and now i am happy to say my friend has been a missionary in santa cruz bolivia since she left our hometown.

oh and for the person who said no was a christian from birth , well we are brought in this world free of sin and my friend i bet she was.and f she wasnt Jesus was!!!

Edited by bubbles baloo

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

my friend i went to school with , she is 49 now. but when i was 7 yrs old  she was a true blue christian and through the years of seeing her i knew shed make her mark serving the Lord. she studied hard ,went to bible school and now i am happy to say my friend has been a missionary in santa cruz bolivia since she left our hometown.

oh and for the person who said no was a christian from birth , well we are brought in this world free of sin and my friend i bet she was.and f she wasnt Jesus was!!!

To be a Christian means to personally have faith in Jesus, Who He is and what He did. No baby is born believing in Jesus except maybe John the Baptist . Babies believe in their mothers as their concern is milk, a clean diaper, etc. So, not one person is born a Christian.

Jesus father is God and before coming in human flesh, Jesus pre-existed from before the earth was made and not only knew His Father, but is God. Babies born in the linage of Adam are very different then Jesus. 

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  207
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

a child of 15 lets say, dies , BUT has given his whole 15 yrs on this earth praising  the Lord and worshiping the Lord  since the very first breath they have taken in life MUST be more of an elder than someone new to Christianity who's older.

:thumbsup:

I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. Psalms 119:99

Guest shiloh357

An elder needs to be an older person both spiritually and biologically, if that option is available, if there are older saints in the church.   An older person who has more life experience, has a lifelong testimony of faithfulness to Christ, and has both the maturity and spiritual wisdom that comes with that is more suited to be an elder.