• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

Oh wow thats just ugly. 

People want low prices.  I guess whether or not you choose to continue business with them is up to you. I dont think I could support them though. But I can afford higher prices. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,146
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1950

I would expect hard feelings if the employees were sold a different environment during recruiting or at the actual pre-employment interview.  The article did not express how the employees arrived at such a situation.

I have always been pro-employer during my 45 years of working experience. Even though most of my career was in the Teamsters, I was only a union member because it was required by the company.  I can tell you that being a truck driver even with union protection, EVERY minute had to be accounted for, via a log book, computer, and some times both.  The pay compensation and benefits were such that the constant monitoring by the company could be rationalized. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

I would expect hard feelings if the employees were sold a different environment during recruiting or at the actual pre-employment interview.  The article did not express how the employees arrived at such a situation.

I have always been pro-employer during my 45 years of working experience. Even though most of my career was in the Teamsters, I was only a union member because it was required by the company.  I can tell you that being a truck driver even with union protection, EVERY minute had to be accounted for, via a log book, computer, and some times both.  The pay compensation and benefits were such that the constant monitoring by the company could be rationalized. 

I once knew this lady who worked for Fed Ex.She said it was grueling.They had to deliver those packages on time and fast.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,379
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  2

Tough one.

Mass media ( as a whole ) and many large corporations have both been shown to engage in "less than" ethical practices.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,168
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.I am wondering if I should :(

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/15/technology/amazon-new-york-times/index.html

I've worked enough temp-to-hire jobs in my time that perhaps some might call me cynical about them. The truth is you are essentially treated as a throw-away. No different than office supplies like a box of paper - when its used up it is thrown in the bin or recycled. Amazon is not the only corporation that takes advantage of this, so whether or not you do business with them any more is up to you. You might be surprised how many local companies take advantage of temp labor.

The temp agencies take advantage of the high number of people looking for work and you get this kind of thing going on. The Corporations make out like bandits on this because the can use you & abuse you for up to 6 months in some cases (depending on the state, etc.) before they have to spend money on benefits for a full time employee. I wasted almost 2 years trying to keep a career in the electronics industry alive while all job openings were temp positions. It was a waste of time with no insurance or any other benefits. I've seen cases where they hired us for "90 days temp-to-hire" and we were laid off for day 91 - then told we could come back the next day on a new 90 day period. Once they did it over a weekend and didn't tell anyone. Amazon is not the only company doing this - and probably skirting around the labor unions too, depending on the state. I'm thinking one solution would be to outlaw "temp to hire" period because of all the abuses that go on. Or perhaps its time for Labor Unions to start gaining members again.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,392
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

If everyone stops buying from them then those people will just be out of a job...

If you stop buying the shoes that are made by young Chinese children the kids will not have work and will most likely starve...

Edited by other one

If everyone stops buying from them then those people will just be out of a job...

If you stop buying the shoes that are made by young Chinese children the kids will not have work and will most likely starve...

That is an interesting perspective oo.But it is very sad.

Edited by bopeep1909

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.I am wondering if I should :(

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/15/technology/amazon-new-york-times/index.html

I've worked enough temp-to-hire jobs in my time that perhaps some might call me cynical about them. The truth is you are essentially treated as a throw-away. No different than office supplies like a box of paper - when its used up it is thrown in the bin or recycled. Amazon is not the only corporation that takes advantage of this, so whether or not you do business with them any more is up to you. You might be surprised how many local companies take advantage of temp labor.

The temp agencies take advantage of the high number of people looking for work and you get this kind of thing going on. The Corporations make out like bandits on this because the can use you & abuse you for up to 6 months in some cases (depending on the state, etc.) before they have to spend money on benefits for a full time employee. I wasted almost 2 years trying to keep a career in the electronics industry alive while all job openings were temp positions. It was a waste of time with no insurance or any other benefits. I've seen cases where they hired us for "90 days temp-to-hire" and we were laid off for day 91 - then told we could come back the next day on a new 90 day period. Once they did it over a weekend and didn't tell anyone. Amazon is not the only company doing this - and probably skirting around the labor unions too, depending on the state. I'm thinking one solution would be to outlaw "temp to hire" period because of all the abuses that go on. Or perhaps its time for Labor Unions to start gaining members again.

Do you think labor unions would be a solution?How?

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,168
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

Do you think labor unions would be a solution? How?

Well, corruption aside, one reason Unions came into existence to begin with was workers being mistreated by the company owners. Some of that got ugly back in the 19th Century. If the corporations won't pay a decent wage and provide a safe working environment then they need to be forced to do so - and I really don't care if its by the government, labor unions, or perhaps both. Fallen human nature means people will be mistreated like this until its in a company's best interest not to mistreat them. That's why unions works so well at first - strikes hit them in the wallet - which is really the only thing they will listen to.